Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Supplements to formula and/or breastmilk

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 7:51 PM
  • 3 Replies

Can any one tell me why there is all these extra things to give an infant, like vitamin drops, floride, probiotics.  I mean I still breastfeed my nine month old and he eats a variety of fruits, veggies, cereal and meats everyday.  Is all of this necessary?  When he does get formula I use bottled water because I don't even drink out of the tap.  Is this just marketing or is it necessary?

tazkitty

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 7:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Nov. 20, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Sometimes you do and sometimes you don't MOSTLY NOT. You're doing fine, BF and feeding a variety of foods.

Your doc MIGHT suggest vit D, but mine wasn't worried about it, my DD was in no danger of rickets.

The flouride is for teeth if your water isn't treated, just ask your water provider.

As for the vitamins, I've never given those or pediasure, anything like that.

And if you are using bottled water for formula, find out if you need flouride. Bottled water is void of it. And your babe does need a little. Ask your doc about that one.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Join us on

Advice for Moms
Group Mod

bupkie
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 8:07 PM

This is something you need to check with your child's Pediatrician.  The supplements are available for when Doctors recommend them for children with specific needs.    (When I BFed my 1st,  he needed Iron drops at a certain age  - when the Ped did blood tests...).   

We drink filtered water... but the Ped said home filtered usually doesn't filter out the Fluoride.   When we do buy bottled water, however, we DO buy the kids version with the floride in it for them...    

I wouldn't suggest "self-supplementing"... if you are curious about adding a supplement to your baby's diet, or think one is a good idea.. My rule of thumb is always ask the Dr. first for guidelines..   Too much of some things can be extremely dangerous and toxic... such as iron...   So dosing of vitamins is always important to check! 

Cheers! 

Bupkie.....

*** My philosophy on sharing info is that it's just free info (not advice) so please take it or leave it. If it fits great! If not, leave it on the ground and dance on it for fun!!! :) ***dancing

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 8:34 PM

You don't need anything, breastmilk has everything your baby needs and the foods you give are just extras.

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)