Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Inducing Labor? help...

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 8:59 PM
  • 13 Replies

my doctor wants to induce me a couple days after thanksgiving wich is  about a week and a half earlier then my due date.  but i have heard from people that inducing labor makes it hurt more and last longer. has any one ever been induced? what was it like? does it really make it worse? Im scared!

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 8:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 8:59 PM

why is your doctor recommending that you induce labor before your due date? 

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:03 PM

Honestly i forgot to ask but im gonna see him in a couple days so im gonna ask him then.  i felt like just a dumb ass  when i got home and relized i didnt ask why.

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:05 PM

I think most people will tell you that getting induced does make the contractions harder quicker and more painful.  I guess you will just have to decide once you know his reasons for wanting you to go early

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:06 PM

Quoting Ashley_N_Steve:

Honestly i forgot to ask but im gonna see him in a couple days so im gonna ask him then.  i felt like just a dumb ass  when i got home and relized i didnt ask why.

i would definitely not induce unless medically necessary and being that you don't even know why he suggested it, i would guess it's not necessary. i hate when doctors do that. just wait it out and let your baby cook until he/she is ready!
:) good luck

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:08 PM

Inducing labor does not make it hurt and last longer. If they give you the epidural shortly after induction then you shouldn't feel a thing except the normal pressure where it's supposed to be. I had the same done with my youngest son and it actually went faster than letting labor set in on its own and a lot less pain.  i hope this helps...

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:11 PM

I was induced, but don't have anything to compare it to since it was my first.  I had pre-eclampsia and we needed to get her out.  My labor was 26 hours, but they didn't want to break my water too early since I also have GBS.  I have heard that it makes contractions more painful, but who knows.  I would not be induced unless it's necessary. 

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:12 PM

i was induced... my doctor wanted to induce early for no good reason... i said that i wanted to wait till my actual due date... so she had to wait till i wanted and it was scary... i wouldnt know if its worse becuz it was my first baby and had nothing to compare it to... but it was very painful... i had to get the epidural at 5cm cuz i was gettting the contractions every minute and i couldnt hack it... an hour later though my baby was here if i would of known it was gonna be that fast after that i would of gone without but i didnt know lol i had already been there 11 hours since they started me on pitocin... i was very scared to get induced for the chance youll end up in a csection i was terrified... there is a good chance you wont dilate even with strong contractions with pitocin so thats what i was terrified of but in the end i my baby vaginally after 12 hours of labor i thought it wasnt too bad for being a first timer lol... good luck!! =] 

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:13 PM

Do you have a medical reason why they want to induce you early?  Honestly, I would not recommend induction unless it were absolutely necessary or if you're past your due date.  I was induced and it was for medical reasons (I was on blood thinners and in order to be able to do an epidural if I wanted one, I had to be off of them for 48 hours and in order to know when that would be, that meant a scheduled induction). 

The first stage of induction is not painful at all.  At least not the way I did it.  I was given a foley catheter which is basically a tube with a balloon that is put inside your cervix.  They fill the balloon with water so that it will help dilate your cervix.  This is a natural method and does not involve any medication, unlike Cervadil or other treatments they use to "ripen" the cervix.

What happens next is that they give you pitocin in the IV.  And that's what makes the contractions come fast.  It's much faster than what happens naturally.  I have nothing to compare it to, but I know that the pain was intense at times.  Instead of your contractions coming gradually, they come very suddenly.  And despite the contractions, the labor can take longer.  I was given pitocin at about 8 am.  I didn't deliver my baby until 16 hours later.  I know that's not necessarily a long labor, but with the pitocin contractions, it felt much longer.  My epidural only worked for a few hours and then it completely stopped working on one side of my body no matter what they did.  So I felt those contractions!  I didn't get the epidural until about 2 or 3 pm, so I was feeling those contractions every 2-3 minutes for 4-5 hours straight. 

Seriously....unless there's a medical reason, please try and go for a regular birth.  There is absolutely NO reason why a doctor should induce you early without a medical reason.  Many doctors want their patients to do scheduled c-sections or inductions now because they want to do it on THEIR schedule.  Sorry...they're in the medical business for a reason.

by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Why does he want to induce you so early? I wouldn't let that happen unless there was a VALID reason.

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:17 PM

I had preeclampsia with my son so they wanted to induce me.  Just so you know, don't get your hopes up that just because you are being induced you are going home with the baby lol!!  They induced me 4 seperate times because the first 3 after a verrry long time of trying just wasn't doing anything, the baby didn't want to come out!  So all 3 times i left the hospital in tears thinking i'd have my baby with me!  If its not necessary for them to induce you i would just wait.  As for whether it hurts more i'm not sure cause i've only had one so far (i'm due in January with second).  If you plan on getting an epideral though i'm sure you will be fine as far as pain goes.  Good luck to u! :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)