Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help with 6 month eating schedule, please.

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:49 PM
  • 9 Replies

My son turned 6 months old on the 12th. I wanted some input on how any of you moms out there feed your 6 month old so i can have an idea of what i need to be doing, or if im doing the right thing. My son is a big eater, was up to 8 ounces by 3 months old and eating every 4 hours. Im trying to start him in on a big boy schedule. Would appreciate the input. He eats a bottle in the morning anywhere from 6-7 ounces and some cereal. And then im trying to make it so he eats lunch at the same time, around noon, he'll have a bottle 6-7 ounces and a fruit and veggie. A snack in between, and dinner aroun 5:30 or 6:00 where he'll have 6-7 ounce bottle and a fruit and veggie, and then a bottle at night before bed after his nap. Im taking his lead on the ounces he wants-- just making sure this sounds normal. :)

Thanks!

Amanda

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:58 PM

That young, I would start with 2 SMALL meal offerings, of a homemade veggie mixed with a little rice cereal. (after nursing first, of course!)

He's still little, even if he's a 'big boy' his needs still need to be mainly from BM. Food is for fun, and I would start slow. It's easier to remeber what I was doing at 6 mo when my baby was 6 mo... LOL

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Join us on

Advice for Moms
Group Mod

mamakenzi
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 12:17 AM

When Bella was six months I offered her three meals a day of baby food and let her have as much formula as she wanted/needed.  I think it's important to follow your baby's lead at that age.

Kenzie

Check out my blog: http://macklanddiares.blogspot.com

Join us on Advice for Moms -- Group Mod

bbmkfo03
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 8:34 AM

Hi! You're schedule is exactly what I just started my daughter on. She turned 6 months on the 7th. She's been eating rice cereal and oatmeal since she was 4 months (also a big eater!) and her doc said to start a schedule similar to that but to remember that formula and/or breast milk are still the most important. I also do 6-7 ounces AM, then 3 tablespoons veggie and 3 tablespoons cereal or oatmeal and for a snack she gets a bottle (~4oz.). Lunch and dinner are the same, with formula snacks in between. Sometimes she naps through the snack. I just started this like last week with her doc's ok. I also made a schedule from gerber.com, which gave me some ideas too.  Hope this helps. Good luck!

Megaluza
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 9:48 AM

It looks he's eating really well. If you want to make some changes, check out Gina Ford's books  (http://www.contentedbaby.com/feeding.htm) and you'll find good ideas. It worked for me.

Hope it helps!

CafeMom Tickers
pixicutmom
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 9:58 AM

You are doing wonderful! That is basically the exact same schedule I did for both my boys. As long as you are feeding him plenty of fruits and veggies that's great. not too much sugar they don't need it and they won't notice its not there. You only will need one meat a day at the most. try to vary the meats each day. And don't forget to wait a few days after you introduce a new food to see if there is an allergic reaction. But don't worry this is the fun part. you can mash up real food too. bananas, frozen fruits in those net things. they are little pouches that you put food in and they can chew and get all the flavor with out choking. just DON'T put banana in there. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO GET IT OUT! you're doing a great job, have fun! 

All Knowledge Is Worth Having!
heikef
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 2:09 PM

that sound like my son at 6 month of age he now 22 month but,i would say you doing fine i was told buy his doctor up to 12 month of age they need about 32 ounces of milk after that it tappers of. i had to put cereal in his bottle at 2 month of age because he wanted every 3 hours never was full and at the end of the day through up.

_MommaB_
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 2:17 PM

my dd is almost 7 months and the way we do it is she has baby food for breakfast., 6oz bottle for her morning nap, 2-3 more 6 oz bottles fo snack lunch and snack then baby food for dinner and a bottle for bed time....i dont have a routine really when she is hungry she eats...plain and simple

tattoobaby girl-Briana-and-Eliana-

CafeMom Tickers

ajswenson
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 3:44 PM

All I can remember is that when my kids were little, still on the bottle or the boob, they ate SOMETHING every 2 hours during the day.  That was my schedule and it worked for us.  Your schedule seems to be right to me.

Lisa426
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 8:55 PM

My LO is 5 1/2 mths and this is our schedule.

7am-7-8oz bottle

9am-1/4 cup rice or oatmeal cereal, and 1 jar fruit

11am- 7-8oz bottle

3pm- 7-8oz. bottle

5pm-1/4 cup cereal, and 1 jar veggie

7:30pm- bottle

8pm bed

Hope this helps to see what others are doing.:)

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)