Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Want to rip my hair out, my son wakes up in the night and screams for 45 minutes straight.

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:53 PM
  • 16 Replies

I have a 6 month old son who is teething. He does great during the day, but at night, once he's good and asleep he wakes up screaming his head off. He'll scream anywhere from 20-45 minutes. I'll give him a bottle, give him tylenol, give him teething tablets, i even broke down and gave him orajel. Nothing soothed him. Me rocking him did nothing. I changed his diaper, i took of his pj's thinking he was hot. He stopped crying once he was worn out and fell asleep. Be he's restless all night-- constantly waking up screaming or just whining and then will go back to sleep once i soothe him. Its been like this for four days now-- i took him to the doctor today-- they ruled out a ear infection and said he was healthy. Im just at a loss. They told me to try ibeprofin, so i gave him some after his bath and bottle for the night-- i also purchashed some vicks soothing relief rub and put that on-- im crossing my fingers that he'll sleep tonight. Chris works nights so its just me here doing this alone-- and sleep deprevation is getting the worst of me. I don't know if he's teething horribly, of it this is a phase. He can't be having night terrors at 6 months old. I feel like i have a newborn-- he's slept through the night since he was 2 months old!!!! Also when he wakes up in the night-- he'll gobble down 7 ounces and go back to sleep-- he's eating normally throughout the day-- he wont take naps during the day though. Maybe 15-30 minutes but he wakes up crying. Today however, Chris got him to take a nap for 2 hours in the morning while i got a nap myself.

Please tell me someone else has went through/ is going through this also.

If there's any advice, i'd appreciate it.

Needed to vent.

Thanks.

Amanda

by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AnitaVersion2.0
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 11:58 PM
My daughter went through a phase where she screamed her head off every night at 7pm sharp. It would last 45 minutes to an hour. It lasted about three months, from about age 5 months to age 8 months.
Kate613
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 12:03 AM

My almost 8 month old went though the same thing. She had been sleeping through the night since 2 months also the right around 6 months she started screaming crying in the middle of the night and when you put her in the crib for bed. I wish I had a solution for you...we broke down and started co-sleeping which worked. We live in a 2 bedroom apartment with 3 kids so her crib in is our room and DH has to get up for work so we her crying every night wasn't good. Right around 6 months a lot of babies get separation anxiety but if your son isn't comforted by you holding him then he is probably just having a lot of pain with the teething. My DD would stop crying once I picked her up.

Lilypie
mamakenzi
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 12:21 AM

Sounds pretty normal with teething.  And some babies just go through a phrase like that.  My DD has always been a horrible sleeper, at 2 years old she stills wakes up every night at midnight.

Kenzie

Check out my blog: http://macklanddiares.blogspot.com

Join us on Advice for Moms -- Group Mod

tisami1
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 1:13 AM

Liam also did this with teething (still doing it now for his last set of molars). He is a solid 7-7 sleeper except when teething. He will wake up for several nights when they are pushing on his gums and then again when they break through. What helps the most for us is to sooth him (get bottle/meds/orajel/rock/whatever) the first night or two. Any consecutive nights we just go in there and try to sooth him without picking him up for a few minutes. Now, my kid always cried for a few minutes and then went back to sleep, but hes a crier when teething and sleep are involved.

For his longer nap of the day and right before bed, I give ibuprofen (tylenol never worked as well or lasted as long) ab out an hour before he went down. Then I gave him orajel about 10 minutes before. Those two seemed to relax him enough for one good nap and at least a longer chunk of time at night. (id only do this for a few days though)

lifetimelove
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 2:29 AM

I've been dealing with this on and off for 15 months - my daughter has major sleep issues do to medical problems.  My advice?  Earplugs. DH wears them while he rocks our daughter.  lol  Or you could wear headphones and listen to some calming music - at least ONE of you will be able to relax.  ;)

Have a child with special needs?  Don't have a diagnosis?  Come join other moms of special needs children without a diagnosis at my group:

www.cafemom.com/group/undiagnosed

TruckersWife029
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 7:40 AM

My oldest daughter did this for nearly 2 years.  Shes now 10 and started again!  At least now she can tell me whats wrong.  Turns out it was night terrors.  Mostly about her being left alone, or lost.  It also has caused her terrible reflux and heartburn. :(  When she was younger I'd try to make sure she was awake, and the crying would usually stop when she would open her eyes and see that I was there.  Hope this helps :)

lizmeek
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 8:37 AM

My son did this. I went to his 6 month check up I believe and his doctor told me to do this when he is teething because it will help longer with the pain. It seemed to work. He told me to give him his normal dose of motrin and tylenol and then if he still hurts 4 hours late give him normal dose of tylenol and then 4 hours later give him normal doses again on motrin and tylenol. You can check with your doctor. I have 3 kids and never heard of doing that but we moved to a different city and our doctor is the doctor my hubby had when he was little. So I trust his opinion. I did do that and it seemed to work. Good Luck

MasonsMommy512
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 9:02 AM

Quoting lizmeek:

My son did this. I went to his 6 month check up I believe and his doctor told me to do this when he is teething because it will help longer with the pain. It seemed to work. He told me to give him his normal dose of motrin and tylenol and then if he still hurts 4 hours late give him normal dose of tylenol and then 4 hours later give him normal doses again on motrin and tylenol. You can check with your doctor. I have 3 kids and never heard of doing that but we moved to a different city and our doctor is the doctor my hubby had when he was little. So I trust his opinion. I did do that and it seemed to work. Good Luck

Yeah-- i tried it last night-- i gave him ibeprofin first-- and then three hours later i gave him tylenol, and then three hours later i gave him ibeprofin-- and he slept with some interruptions, but nothing as severe. I just fed him in between and he stopped fussing. I didn't get a lot of sleep-- but my baby wasn't a screaming mess-- so im feeling better.

MasonsMommy512
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 9:04 AM

Quoting TruckersWife029:

My oldest daughter did this for nearly 2 years.  Shes now 10 and started again!  At least now she can tell me whats wrong.  Turns out it was night terrors.  Mostly about her being left alone, or lost.  It also has caused her terrible reflux and heartburn. :(  When she was younger I'd try to make sure she was awake, and the crying would usually stop when she would open her eyes and see that I was there.  Hope this helps :)

I asked the doctor if it could possibly be night terrors. They say its rare in a 6 month old.

I swear thats what it feels like it is though-- or atleast thats what i found myself explaining to people. Or maybe his pain is just horrible in his sleep. Either way-- i hope this stops eventually! He had reflux when he was younger-- he stopped needing his prevacid. I gave him some the other night to see if that would help and it did nothing-- so i don't think its that bothering him again. His always bothered him in the day anyways.

Thanks for your help. :)

loves4mama
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 9:06 AM

i know ill prob get bashed for this but when my dd was going through that rubbing some captain morgan on her gums helped soooo much. orajel didn't work, binky, tylenol ... nothing worked as good as a little rum.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)