Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any moms with toddlers that are picky eaters?

Posted by on Nov. 27, 2009 at 10:30 PM
  • 33 Replies

My daughter is 20 months old and a VERY picky eater. She refuses food all the time and often cries when we try to get her to eat. There are only a handful of foods she will eat. She is very thin also, in the 25th percentile for weight. She throws food on the ground if she doesn't want to eat it and sometimes gags or spits out the food. Also she doesn't know how to use utensils yet but whenever we try showing her how she won't let us because she doesn't want us to hold her hand. She feeds herself with her hands but there are only a few foods she will let us feed her (foods that she can't eat with her hands). The only veggies she will eat are peas. Dinnertime is the worst. We often give up and just give her french fries and then a pediasure afterwards.

Anyone else have a picky eater? Share your stories or if you have any advice, please let me know. Thanks.

by on Nov. 27, 2009 at 10:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
paradise924
by on Nov. 27, 2009 at 10:36 PM

bump

fireflymcl
by on Nov. 27, 2009 at 10:37 PM
My husband eats like a picky toddler. Does thst count? Lol.
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
paradise924
by on Nov. 27, 2009 at 10:40 PM

You mean he gags on food and spits it out and cries during mealtime? How odd. I'd be concerned.

Quoting fireflymcl:

natekrismommy
by on Nov. 27, 2009 at 10:44 PM

my son was the same way and still is to an extent. He dropped to like the 3rd percentile. I even called and talked to a nutritionist that my doctor referred me to.(just because I was worried, she wasn't) He is almost 3 now and still on the small side but getting better. They just told me if she's hungry she'll eat. still sit her down for her meals and give her the spoon and let her experiment (what helped my daughter learn was watching me eat with my spoon) then in between meals just put snacks on the coffee table and let her just snack as she plays. My son hates veggies.. I tend to have to sneak them to him in casseroles..he even hates eggs..but will eat them if I scramble them with sausage in them. You'll eventually see as long as she is hitting her milestones..healthy and happy its nothing to worry about she's just on the small side.. but if it bothers you talk to the doctor and see what he/she says.

fireflymcl
by on Nov. 27, 2009 at 10:45 PM

Quoting paradise924:

You mean he gags on food and spits it out and cries during mealtime? How odd. I'd be concerned.

Quoting fireflymcl:

Not quite. I thikn he's afraid of any food that's green.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2009 at 10:53 PM

Stop with the fries and pediasure. She is smart enough to know that if she makes a big enough fuss, she will get that.

My youngest is the same age. Neither of my kids are picky, but we haven't really given them a chance to be.

Eat as a family. Sit down and make sure she has exactly what you're eating. Put it down in front of her and then ignore her. Let her learn by watching you. I never showed my kids how to use a fork or spoon, but they do it well because they have seen us.

When you try and force her to eat or make a big deal about it, she is getting attention and she knows she can get a reaction. If you ignore her, she's not getting that. When she does start eating, praise her and make a big deal about it.

Don't force her to eat. If she is really not hungry, that's fine. Toddlers also need very little, they have such tiny little stomachs!

Dip is a good thing too! Tonight we had baked chicken and asparagus. My kids both ate the asparagus, but my 20 month old didn't seem to excited about the chicken. I got her some salsa and she dipped the chicken and ended up clearing her plate.

Also, if she's eating with her hands... LET her. At least she's eating. You trying to force her or feed her yourself is making it even harder on you. They are so independent at this age!

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2009 at 10:54 PM

Also, my 20 month old is below the 3rd percentile, she is not even on the charts!

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

Beatlemama
by on Nov. 27, 2009 at 10:55 PM

My son is 20 months old and a picky eater.  He will eat something one day, and refuse it the next time I offer it.  I never know ahead of time what he will like.  However, I refuse to make him two or three different things per meal just to find something he wants.  That is not a precendent I want to set.  I decide what foods I'm going to offer him, then I let him choose to eat them or not.  He is always offered a fruit, vegetable, protein, and grain.  Often he will initially refuse, only to eat it after he realizes I'm not going to fix him anything else.  Some meals he chooses not to eat much and that's okay too.  I don't want meal time to turn into a power struggle, so I don't force the issue.  He is in the 25th percentile for weight as well, but is consistently gaining weight and his pediatrician is not worried about his growth at all.

He has recently learned how to use utensils and that does seem to help--he doesn't want us to feed him either.

Braxmommy14
by on Nov. 27, 2009 at 11:03 PM

My son ( 23 months ) is the same way, it drives me nuts ! But he is about 50th percentile for weight and over the charts for height. If he doesn't eat dinner and many times he wont, I will wait an hour or two and try to offer it again, if he refuses I usually end up giving him fruit later on for a snack. I try to add something to dinner every night that I know he likes, that way he at least eats something. Even though I know he doesn't like something I always put it on his plate, because for one, I'm not convinced he doesn't like it, he is just being stubborn, also he has shocked us before and actually ate something we though he wouldn't. No, it doesn't work every time, but I always hope :) He refuses most meat and only eats one vegetable ! I do give him daily vitamins, hoping that will make up for some of it. But he is not a huge "snack " eater either, so I know thats not the problem. I guess its just the age and hoping he grows out of it soon !!!

paradise924
by on Nov. 27, 2009 at 11:08 PM

My daughter has seen us eating with forks and spoons so many times, every day, but she isn't learning. Her doctor also said she has a speech delay and so will be seeing a speech therapist weekly soon...they still have to evaluate her. :(

Quoting Randi02:

Stop with the fries and pediasure. She is smart enough to know that if she makes a big enough fuss, she will get that.

My youngest is the same age. Neither of my kids are picky, but we haven't really given them a chance to be.

Eat as a family. Sit down and make sure she has exactly what you're eating. Put it down in front of her and then ignore her. Let her learn by watching you. I never showed my kids how to use a fork or spoon, but they do it well because they have seen us.

When you try and force her to eat or make a big deal about it, she is getting attention and she knows she can get a reaction. If you ignore her, she's not getting that. When she does start eating, praise her and make a big deal about it.

Don't force her to eat. If she is really not hungry, that's fine. Toddlers also need very little, they have such tiny little stomachs!

Dip is a good thing too! Tonight we had baked chicken and asparagus. My kids both ate the asparagus, but my 20 month old didn't seem to excited about the chicken. I got her some salsa and she dipped the chicken and ended up clearing her plate.

Also, if she's eating with her hands... LET her. At least she's eating. You trying to force her or feed her yourself is making it even harder on you. They are so independent at this age!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured