Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about Austium?

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:32 AM
  • 9 Replies

I don't know how to word this. I hope it doesn't come out offensive. I have been caring for a little girl since she was born. And everyone keeps telling me that she has to be autistic. I know nothing on this subject. She does do some out of the box things. LIke she rocks back and forth to go to sleep. She bangs her head in the crib to sleep. She shakes her head in the no all day long. And laughs at nothing. Nothing will be in the rrom and she will she have her eyes closed laughing. Can someone please tell me if there child does this? If not what are the early signs for autisium?

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
by Barb on Dec. 1, 2009 at 4:46 PM

The following is from:

How is autism diagnosed?

ASD varies widely in severity and symptoms and may go unrecognized, especially in mildly affected children or when it is masked by more debilitating handicaps.  Very early indicators that require evaluation by an expert include:

• no babbling or pointing by age 1
  • no single words by 16 months or two-word phrases by age 2
  • no response to name
  • loss of language or social skills
  • poor eye contact
  • excessive lining up of toys or objects
  • no smiling or social responsiveness.

Later indicators include:

• impaired ability to make friends with peers
  • impaired ability to initiate or sustain a conversation with others
  • absence or impairment of imaginative and social play
  • stereotyped, repetitive, or unusual use of language
  • restricted patterns of interest that are abnormal in intensity or focus
  • preoccupation with certain objects or subjects
  • inflexible adherence to specific routines or rituals.

Join us onAdvice for Moms - - Group Mod

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:03 PM
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:07 PM

Could very well be. My son has autism and he did do some of these things and he still does. I agree with the pp and go to the website and check it out. Gl

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 7:08 PM

I have no idea about autism.  but i seen some videos on child abuse and a lot of them babies would bang their heads on cribs .. and rocking is a comfort.  I have NO IDEA THO.  have the parents said anything?  b/c I know my kids doctors ask us questions about what they are doing at certain ages etc. 

How old is she?

Sorry I wasn't any help, heres a bump

by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 7:20 AM

Yeah the mother is a single parent. Im really close to the family. She is 16 months old. Not walking or talking. And she does very strange things. Her mom is seeing someone about the walking. They told her it was normal and that only 80% of kids walk by 12 months and the other 20% walk by 18 months. But I have worked with a lot of kids and Im a mother myself. There is something wrong. For a child not to comminicate, walk or feed themselves (like crackers or cheerios). I know the mom is doing all she can. Someone had mention Autisum to me and I thought maybe. Also the mom told me that her daughter was 1 MONTH over the due date and when she was delivered her plancenta was dry. I keep thinking that maybe that had something to do with her being so developmental behind! But I am no doctor!

by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 7:25 AM

Even if she isn't Autistic she should def be in Occupational therapy and Speech therapy. Doctors do like to hold off on sending kids tho....tell her to press the issue that is how I got answers!! 

by Ruby Member on Dec. 2, 2009 at 8:46 AM

The earlier the better that she gets answers and help.  Yes, kids walk late, mine did, but if there are other signs with that she needs to get an evaluation. 

by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 10:12 AM

Autism or not, this child should be evaluated by early intervention.  They can help with speech and occupational therapy.  If mom is aware that the child is behind, casually let her know that she might want to look into EI, and get some free help with her DD's speech.  She may not know.

by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Do you think the mother would be willing to have her evaluated?  They usually can start diagnosing for Autism around 18 months old.  I am not sure about the banging her head on the crib though, my daughter never did anything like that.  She crawled and walked within a normal period of time but up until age 3 when she went into therapy she did not talk.  When she did start to walk she was very jumpy like she could not sit still and had to bounce around everywhere, but she had always been a mover which might just be a kid thing. 

If the mom is open to discussing it I would bring up the head banging and how you are concerned and that maybe she should have her evaluated by a doctor just to be safe, actions like that may end up causing damage to her head if she hits it to hard.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)