Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are some ? to ask when hiring a babysitter ? advice please

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:26 AM
  • 8 Replies

O.K so I had to post an ad on Craigslist looking for a babysitter because I really do not have one I have always had family to watch them but they are not always relialble. I just need someone occasionally. I asked for 2 references and that they provide their own transportation. I also asked for them to be affordable. Since this is my 1st time trying to hire someone  What are some ?s to ask the person ? I just do not want to leave anything out I am very nervous about it. So any advice would be great !

Katie mother of 5  Noah (10),Hailey (6),Riley (5) Caleb (4)and Gracie (18mths)
cornucopia

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
destineemommy
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:29 AM

I would ask if they have any degrees or anything like that. I would also ask about their background and stuff of that nature. And to do background checks and reference checks.

lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:39 AM

are they CPR certified?

do they know frist aid? run some scenarios and see how they answer how they would handle it.

How will they entertain the children? Do you want someone that just puts the tv on?

do they have experieince with watching 6 kids?Can she handle 6 kids?

Are they going to be on the cell phone instead of watching the kids?

will they help get the kids into bed or help pickup after a meal?

list what you would expect her to do and see if they are agreeable.

Surround yourself with people that add to your life not subtract from it.

tinkerbell76
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:06 AM

Here is a website with a list of questions to consider: http://babysitters.sittercity.com/article/parent_interview_checklist.html

tinkerbell76
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:08 AM

Another idea instead of using Craigslist is to contact your local High Schools or community college career center or a Pastor at a local church.  I think it may be a safer option than Craigslist.

Good luck!

xChasingxAmyx
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:12 AM

I was just going to post this!

Quoting tinkerbell76:

Here is a website with a list of questions to consider: http://babysitters.sittercity.com/article/parent_interview_checklist.html

Bmat
by Barb on Dec. 1, 2009 at 4:48 PM

What training do they have that would be useful in the job.

I'd ask for references.

What first aid and CPR training they have.

How do they discipline.

Join us onAdvice for Moms - - Group Mod

swizzlefiz
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:06 PM

I agree.  Craigslist doesn't sound like a good place to find a sitter.  We found 1 in our neighborhood by using our online message boards.  The girl that watches our DD is only 13(DD is almost 6) but her mom is always 1 street over and checks on her about every half hour.  The first time we left her we were only gone for an hour ... we worked our way up.  We pay her $7.50 an hour.

Quoting tinkerbell76:

Another idea instead of using Craigslist is to contact your local High Schools or community college career center or a Pastor at a local church.  I think it may be a safer option than Craigslist.

Good luck!

smiley_mylie
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:11 PM

ask them to bring an activity to do in front of you to see if they are energetic and artistic and fun. ask them for references.. and actually call the ppl please! this one lady lied to me off of there. ya ridiculous and scary! ask her case scenarios of how she would deal with something.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)