Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think of Headstart??

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:43 AM
  • 39 Replies

I'm thinking about getting my daughter into headstart and wondered what everyone's opinion of it is!

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ajjs1972
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:47 AM

I put my son in it for two years. he was an only child and the being around others ( kids and ppl he had to listen besides me) did him a world of good!

He got used to going and when kindergarten came, we had no issues, except for me crying that my baby was growing up! he learned alot more stuff than I had the time to teach b/c of me cleaning and working. my ss was also in it but his coinsided with daycare. my nephew is also doing daycare/preschool and is learning alot!

I fully recommend putting your dd in.

Jynnifer292
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:48 AM

My son went to Headstart and I LOVED them. I wanted so badly to keep him there another year but he made the kindergarten cut off by four day so they couldn't keep him. He loved going. They gave him breakfast and lunch, which he though was cool.  

lexismum03
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:51 AM

I went and I loved it and then when my dd was old enough I put her in it and she really loved it. They had headstart/daycare. They did nap time and everything. They even helped potty train her. Because she was a stubborn and refused to go for me lol.

praisinghim2day
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:52 AM

I think it's a wonderful program :)  I was a little uneasy about sending my kids, because where I came from there was a bit of a stigma about it.  We qualified for our kids to go but my parents informed me they would pay for any preschool we wanted for them if we couldn't afford it.  I started asking the kindergarten teachers some questions about the different preschools and every single one of them told me that the kids who went to head start were more prepared for kindergarten than any of the other preschools. 

I think it also depends on where you live and who's working in the centers.  Where I'm from, the head start program was considered to be for the "less than desirable families".  But, where I lived when I had kids was a different story.  It was "just another preschool".  The community was involved in helping, volunteering and donations to make sure everything was wonderful for the kids.  Amazing program!  I'd certainly be asking around.  Definitely talk to some kindergarten teachers in your area and see what they think! :)

xotee2006
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:54 AM

I'm sure every headstart is different

but the one here. i love it. and my kids haven't went there yet (aren't old enough)

but my mom has worked there for about 18 years .. now she is the family service worker. so i grew up knowing what they do and every one there. and how they work with the kids. and I love it.  They are family orientated and all the kids love it there!

ilovemyson2002
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:55 AM

my 7 year old son went there he loved it they even help potty train my son

mandalouwhotn
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:55 AM

I visited a headstart in our area and it was really trashy.  Our headstarts are income based (I didn't know this at the time) .  I would have never left my child at the one I visited.  We opted for a private preschool instead.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:59 AM

All headstarts are income based and you have to qualify for your child to go there. 

Quoting mandalouwhotn:

I visited a headstart in our area and it was really trashy.  Our headstarts are income based (I didn't know this at the time) .  I would have never left my child at the one I visited.  We opted for a private preschool instead.

aidens_mom_0854
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:01 AM

I think headstart is a wonderful thing. I actually work at a headstart right now as a lead teacher and words can not express how I feel about putting children in headstart.

Jynnifer292
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:02 AM

Quoting mandalouwhotn:

All Headstarts are. I think it is rather rare to find one that is trashy because they have stricter guidelines than most private preschools. Do you mean the environment, like dirty, or the people there?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)