Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Switching from formula to whole milk - A few questions

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:17 AM
  • 5 Replies

My son is 11 months old and I wanted to start making the transition from formula to whole milk this week.

My main concern is whether or not it's ok to start giving him milk.

My plan was to start with 25% milk and 75% formula in his bottles - Then next week do 50% milk and 50% formula - Then the week after do 75% milk and 25% formula - And finally, the last week (1 week before he turns 1) to have him drinking only milk.

Is this a good idea?

Also, my husband and I both have problems with whole milk - it makes us sick to our stomachs. Would it be ok to start my son on 2% milk? Or soy? What are your thoughts?

Any advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated!

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Butterflysky_24
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:21 AM

my son is also 11 months and i have been giving him whole milk in a cup 2 or 3 times a day. i just give him milk someitmes and before nap time and bed time i give him formula. i am not planning on mixing it. it is not going to hurt them to have milk at 11 months. as long as they are healthy and developing right, the dr should approve it and it will be fine. i plan on giving him nothing but milk once i run out of formula this month. just because milk makes u sick, doesnt necessarily mean ur baby will. but i would just give it to him and watch if he throws up or gets fussy every time like it hurts. whole milk is recommended and i would talk to ur dr before doing anything else

Michele79
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:23 AM

Yes your plan to slowly introduce it into his cup is what we did at 11 months as well. By my son's 1st Bday he was off of formula. However, you do need to have him on whole milk. Has he had any other dairy products? Does he do ok with those?

1stTimeMomHolly
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:27 AM

He's had little bits of cheese and hasn't had any problems. And my parents are always feeding him vanilla frostys from Wendys and he has been fine.

The only time he had a problem with dairy was when he was about 6 months old and we let him have some yobaby yogurt - He spit all of it up. But no problems since!

Also, should I start putting his formula/milk into cups instead of bottles? If so, what kind of cup? The kind with a straw or the one he has to tilt back to drink? He does fine with either.

Quoting Michele79:

Yes your plan to slowly introduce it into his cup is what we did at 11 months as well. By my son's 1st Bday he was off of formula. However, you do need to have him on whole milk. Has he had any other dairy products? Does he do ok with those?

xChasingxAmyx
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:29 AM

I'll be the honest one here and say I only did the half and half thing for a few days then he went to straight milk. I had no problems with it whatsoever. But then, both my sons are garbage disposals. They eat and drink everything with no issues. I lucked out.  

Michele79
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Well, it would probably be a good idea to start transitioning him to a cup. What I did at first was just put a bit of watered down juice in a cup to let my son get the hang of it in between bottles. The cups with the soft spouts (Nuby) worked best for us at first. But if he's already good with a cup I say make the switch to whatever he likes. I'm still not sure about the dairy though, if he hasn't had any kind of allergic reactions I think he'd be fine. Just introduce it slowly.

Quoting 1stTimeMomHolly:

He's had little bits of cheese and hasn't had any problems. And my parents are always feeding him vanilla frostys from Wendys and he has been fine.

The only time he had a problem with dairy was when he was about 6 months old and we let him have some yobaby yogurt - He spit all of it up. But no problems since!

Also, should I start putting his formula/milk into cups instead of bottles? If so, what kind of cup? The kind with a straw or the one he has to tilt back to drink? He does fine with either.

Quoting Michele79:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)