Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:19 AM
  • 12 Replies

I am about to explode!! I work as a full time babysitter during the week, and right now the kids are all driving me up the wall! I have done nothing but yell and scream since 6am.  Since 2 of the kids arent mine, i dont want to spank them.  i have nothing against spanking, i just feel very very wrong spanking someone else's children, even though she did leave them in my care.  Is there anything other than sitting them on the couch for 5 min or in their room for 5 min that i can try? Taking the tv away, and the toys away dong seem to work either. These kids are absolutely horrible. Please, help me!!!

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:21 AM

What is it they are doing that is making you feel that way? And I agree with you, they aren't your kids so you shouldn't spank them. When parents leave there kids with a daycare, they are not allowed to spank.

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:22 AM

Sounds like they are bored. It might be time for a new activity or a game they haven't played in a while.  A good way to get kids to be quiet is to stand in front of them and mouth words. They won't hear you of course and maybe laugh at first. Then suddenly as they get quiter, you get a lil louder so they CAN hear you. Then intro the new thing to do or activity etc.

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Sidenote:  I am glad you decided not to spank them. It's not your place. If you spanked my child, I wouldn't bring them back to you. Ever. And I would probably tell everyone what you did and blacklist ya in the neighborhood. Sounds bitchy, but it's honest. That's not right.

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:31 AM

right, and i feel the same way you guys do! if anyone other than me or my daughter's father spanked her they wld be in a world of hell from me. which is why i wouldnt dare do that to anyone else' child no matter how horrible they are. the children just dont get enough dicipline at home, therefore they know no rules or boundaries. I am working on it, and right now they seem to be ok. i suppose i really just needed to vent about this lol. but the activities and games is a great idea, if they could do them in an orderly fashion, which as i said before, they dont do well with rules or boundaries so any games or activities we do always ends in mayhem. they hit, scream, punch, kick, jump off furniture, destroy rooms, and talk back.  their mom works most of the day, and their dad doesnt live here yet, as he is still trying to find a new job in this area,  so i know that counts for some of their actions.  but i def understand the bitchy-ness about spanking other ppls kids...i would NEVER in a million years think to do that to someone else's child. Ever.

by Barb on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:33 AM

Can you take everybody outside for some play or a good run around?  I agree with don't spank. 

Join us onAdvice for Moms - - Group Mod

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:37 AM

i would love to take them outside, but it is FREEZING here today...dont want to get the kiddos sick!

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:41 AM

I also stay at home with my daughter and babysit two other children. The only advice I can give you is keep them busy with games, crafts etc. They get bored just running around playing and that's when they start to act out. I always do a circle time with the kids. We all sit around talk about colors, numbers, animals, and we sing songs. Then after that I read to them, and then they have free play. After about a half hour to an hour of free play we do an art project, then snack...etc. It is hard to invent your own daycare schedule. But I do think it is good for the kids to be involved in structured activities, they learn and it keeps them somewhat under control lol. I hope this helps you a little. I know what it is like when some days you feel like you're sinking, It can be very difficult watching someone else's child, especially when they don't listen. I hope you have a better day!!

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:43 AM

thankyou so much! thats the best advice!  i will def take ur advise and put it to good use!!

by Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:47 AM

worked in daycare with two year-olds!!  I know how you feel.  This is what worked for me:  I would look out of my classroom window for a moment and pray the serenity prayer.  Let things happen for a min.  keep an eye so nobody gets hurt, but just take a break.  Then you will find yourself better able to handle it.  Then put on some soft music (trust me it works) and sit the children down for an interactive story.  When you have their total attention have a discussion about what's happening in your home.  The music used to calm my children in seconds.  They may be bored and feeding off eachother....An art activity or a story would be good for calming them down.

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:52 AM

Do you have a schedual for them? How long to have them in the day? And how old are they?

I love my thing one and my thing two. I believe that children who get dirty tend to be healthier. Becoming a mother has made me into the woman I have always wanted to be. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)