Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hair Color

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:41 AM
  • 5 Replies

I natually have very dark brown hair.  I have been dying my hair for a number of years (except when I was pregnant).  I have been dying it pretty much the same color as my natural color because it looks more vibrant.  My natual color is very dull. Anyway I was thinking I wanted a little change in my hair. Nothing too dramatic but i would like it to be lighter.  Not blond or even close to (tried that once and it was terrible).   I would like to have a nice light brown but I don't really have the money to go to the salon and have it done professionally.  I have actually never been to the salon I always use box dye.  Is there a way to get my dark hair to a light brown with box dye without it looking terrible or turning that coppery color?

"I know I am not perfect. I don't live my life to be. But before you go pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mamakenzi
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:14 AM

Typically it is very hard to go from dark to light without professional help.  I will dye my hair darker on my own but I never try to lighten it.

Kenzie

Check out my blog: http://macklanddiares.blogspot.com

Join us on Advice for Moms -- Group Mod

cleo1977
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:17 AM

ya my daughter is a hair dresser and you can go from light to dark but not dark to light...i would put some blonde streaks in it.there is a good kit at the drug store i think its by clairol...

BaileynMe
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Get a highlighting kit and just do very tiny bits of hair. It will give the impression that your hair is lighter. 

Join us onAdvice for Moms - - Group Mod

ballewal
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:59 AM

You run a risk of turning your hair orange if you do that. Ask me how I know that... 

AppleDaisy
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 9:23 AM

Quoting WatermelonNerd:

Make sure you have a couple days to be lazy and not step foot out side the house except to get the mail.

Get the Clairol naturally blond hair strip kit and FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS EXACTLY. I forgot to add the activator once and that was a waste of $13. Also buy your desired color(like a honey colored brown?), and use that 24 hours later. The nice thing about the slightly more pricey hair colors is the intensive conditioner they have with them.

THIS is how your hair will probably look as soon as you strip it....

Coffee in a mug from Cuzco, Peru is completely optional.

After you stripped it like this did you just dye it and it turned brown?  I think I am worried I'll get that orangy coppery look.

"I know I am not perfect. I don't live my life to be. But before you go pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean."
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)