Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First Time Flying with a 17 month old need help!

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:56 AM
  • 6 Replies
This Christmas my husband and our 17mth old son will be flying to California this year for Christmas. Does anyone have any advice for us we could greatly use it! We will be taking coloring books, crayones, portable dvd player, and many snacks. Any helpful hints or tips we should know I would love to hear!
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
homeandalone
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:01 PM

when my daughter was around that age and younger i got on a plain about 4 times...... she slept most of the way but nightquil helps with them.... i never gave it to her but her father did before bnut when i was on the phain she acted normal and just sat their and played or slept.... the travel time isnt that long but we had to switch plains and i would get her food and a little snack or candy 

BaileynMe
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:04 PM

1) You CAN take through more than 3 oz of liquid if it's for the child, in his sippy cup for example. They will have you take the lid off of it after you go through the security line so they can do a vapor test (they hold a little strip of paper ABOVE the liquid for a few seconds.) I take an 8 oz sippy cup and two pediasures every time I fly, and there's never been a problem (I fly fairly frequently since DH is a flight attendant and we fly for very, very cheap.) 

2) Take something that your child is guaranteed to eat or drink for takeoff and landing. A child that young isn't going to know how to pop his ears, so you've gotta help him along with snacks or drinks. 

3) Make sure he's comfy during takeoff and he may just fall asleep. 

4) You don't have to buy him his own seat until he turns two, and most kids that little do better in mommy or daddy's lap than with a seatbelt, but if you did buy him a seat and plan on having him sit in it, I recommend bringing your carseat. Yeah, it's just one more thing to carry through the airport, but it will make travel easier on him, having that familiarity. 

5) Try to sit near a window so that he can see out. My 21 month old DD LOVES looking out the window. 

**EDIT** DO make sure that if you bring the car seat, the plane you're flying on is big enough, If you're on a small plane and have a big car seat, it might not fit! 

Join us onAdvice for Moms - - Group Mod

NearSeattleMom
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:11 PM

Just cross your fingers and hope he doesn't choose to get crazy while flying.  ;)

No, really, you sound pretty well-prepared.  I was going to suggest a portable DVD player but you've already got that covered.

The only thing to consider is flight delays--make sure you have enough supplies in case you end up somewhere longer than you plan.   

Join us onAdvice for Moms - - Group Mod

Join us at The Cafe - - Cafe Group Mod

Kaylee0823
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:17 PM

I flew with my daughter when she was 15 or 16 months old ... she sat on my lap the hole time and slept most of one flight ( we had 2 ) and i brought lots of snacks and juice for her and a cpl toys to keep her busy ..... my BIG advice would be get there early nuff so he can walk to the gate and walk him around a lil before the flight so that way he can get rid of some energy specialy if you have to switch flights in between they can get restless even if the flight is short ..... sor the most part it was easy peasy but of course they are still babies just remember that lol .... kaylee wanted to get down in the end of one flight and run around but we were about to land so of course couldnt let her so of course she got mad at me and started crying lol but she quickly stoped crying when i gave her a cup :) just keep him busy mom and hopefully he will even sleep most of it ..... Good Luck  

xChasingxAmyx
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:53 PM

I have no advice other than.. PLEASE DO NOT MEDICATE YOUR CHILD WITH NYQUIL!! That was a dangerous suggestion! 

ColtsFan1912
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:55 PM

wow. yeah. DONT DO THAT

You sound like you got good things. . we flew from LA to Chicago & Caleb slept just about the whole way. He had his own sit (yay for  MIL who bought it for him lol) . . when he woke up he had fun looking out the window watching the clouds. Good luck

Quoting xChasingxAmyx:

I have no advice other than.. PLEASE DO NOT MEDICATE YOUR CHILD WITH NYQUIL!! That was a dangerous suggestion! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers\
"They dont have to understand you, be still, wait & know, I understand you,.. .i love you please see & believe again" Flyleaf
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)