Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you stop finger sucking?

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:07 PM
  • 13 Replies

I am so proud of my little girl.  She's a happy little girl and loaded with personality.  She will be 2 in January.  Lately, she has been getting shy in large groups of kids.  Last week we went to a birthday party and there were over 12 kids there.  The parents hired a clown that played the guitar, sang crazy songs, mad baloons and did the parachute thing.  She loves all this stuff... very similar to the Gymboree class we used to go to... except this day she clung to my leg with her 2 fingers in her mouth!

She's been sucking on her fingers for a while.  Her docter told me not to worry as she was self soothing.  Now it seems like she's got them in her mouth all the time.  She'll take them out if I ask her, but sometimes I don't think she's aware that she put them back in.  I have big teeth and I know she will too... They used to call me Bucky Beaver when I was growing up!  I'm afraid that if she keeps sucking on her fingers it will hurt her teeth. 

I have tried band-aids, socks, cinnamon, coffee... nothing seems to work.  Let me know what you think.  Thank you!

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stephynsos
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:08 PM

I am no help, but i just woke up... [i woke 3rd shift] and thought ur subject was how do you stop singer fu**ing... hahahaha...

myfoursonsks
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:09 PM

I wouldn't worry about it much and just let her grow out of it.  If you put too much pressure on her about it, it will just increase her anxiety and make it worse.  Kids will be kids.  I have rarely seen an adult woman suck on her fingers, so she will be ok.

jabs54
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Depending on which fingers she's sucking, you can guy a device from One Step Ahead to put on her hand.  But, I just want to say I sucked my 2 middle fingers at night until I was 8 or 9 and I never needed braces.   

lexismum03
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:15 PM

ugh my daughter is 6 and I still catch her sucking on her fingers. Her teeth are fine. She doesn't do it as much as she use to though!

xChasingxAmyx
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:21 PM

That's why my 4 and 1 year olds do. I just figured I will let them stop when they want to stop. Part of me wishes they had taken a paci. I could have taken that away already lol

Quoting jabs54:

Depending on which fingers she's sucking, you can guy a device from One Step Ahead to put on her hand.  But, I just want to say I sucked my 2 middle fingers at night until I was 8 or 9 and I never needed braces.   

ColtsFan1912
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:28 PM

i agree with this. my son is 2 & still sucks his fingers (usuaslly when tired or nervous)

Quoting myfoursonsks:

I wouldn't worry about it much and just let her grow out of it.  If you put too much pressure on her about it, it will just increase her anxiety and make it worse.  Kids will be kids.  I have rarely seen an adult woman suck on her fingers, so she will be ok.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers\
"They dont have to understand you, be still, wait & know, I understand you,.. .i love you please see & believe again" Flyleaf
swizzlefiz
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:33 PM

They make a finger nail polish that is for nail biters .... its supposed to taste horrible.  I'd ask the pedi before using it on a toddler though.

Dance13
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:34 PM

My son sucks his 2 middle fingers and He is 3. He only does it when he has his blanket with him. I'm thinking next year after his baby brother is born I will tell him it is time to put the blanket away (he does just fine without it it is just a security thing but can live with out it) I wish he would have taken a paci too cause you can just toss them and say no more you can't really throw away their fingers.

My mother in law had to sew her daughter's sleeve closed so she couldn't get to her fingers. she had tried everything else, (socks, hotsauce, bandaids, guards, ect.)

My husband sucked the same 2 fingers as our son til he was like 18 months old then just stopped cold turkey one day wasn't told to stop or anything just did it himself.

MrsCanCan
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:35 PM

Give em a pieace of Beef Jerky i gave my daughter cold jerky when she was teethy...works like a charm!

Sorry not when she was teathing when she was suckin her fingers. she had a bad habbit of sucking her whole hand...like non stop

StarLightMaddie
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:50 PM

I'd try the finger nail polish.

My friend use to suck her thumb til she was in middle school and she would always get made fun of. It was really bad.

Her parents would try everything an then  I guess she stopped one day, I don't think they tried nail polish though.

The kids even in High School would remember she sucked her thumb in Middle School and still would  bring it up all the way through High School until we graduated.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)