Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

All day crying...normal?

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:18 PM
  • 7 Replies

So as I did just introduce myself. This will be my first question! My newborn, unless he is being fed, or sleeping is almost always crying during the day. Usually he will fall asleep for a very short nap while feeding. I am currently formula feeding him, with Similac.  It is quite a downer after changing him, feeding him, changing him etc, not knowing how to get him to calm down I can't seem to figure it out. I've tried 4-5 types of pacifiers, he doesn't care for those. And he hates the swaddling technique. >.<  It is just quite frustrating, and driving me nuts! Any suggestions?

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mommyof2grls06
by Gold Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:20 PM

Have you tried putting him in a sling or some sort of carrier? That always helps my girls calm down when they are upset. It even works for my 22 month old.

ETA: You could also try to change his formula, the kind you have him on could be upsetting him.

People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available.  ~Chele Marmet

A proud Christian, Republican, Anti- Gay marriage, Natural childbirth having, Pro-Life for babies NOT convicts, Extended breastfeeding, Baby wearing, Attachment parenting, Extended Rear Facing and Extended Harnessing, ANTI- CIO, Co-sleeping, mommy to my 3 beautiful girls and wife to my Marine!

xChasingxAmyx
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:27 PM

Does he have colic? Have your talked to your pedi about this? 

IndescribableMa
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:29 PM

Congrats on being a new mom!! I went through the exact same thing with my son when he was born. It is very frustrating, but the only thing that seemed to work for us was a bouncer. Something like that or a swing maybe would help soothe him. We also played soft baby music for our son and he actually liked it well. So relax momma it just takes time :) every baby is different, but everything will be fine.

Bmat
by Barb on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:30 PM

For some babies a ride in the car will soothe them.

Join us onAdvice for Moms - - Group Mod

mom2ljh
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:38 PM

My son screamed all the time, arched his back and was obviously in pain.  He was diagnosed with reflux at 3 months and started on Zantac.  It helped a bit with the issues.

Amanda ~ Mommy to my little miracle Landon Joel
born 6 weeks too soon~6-21-07, former refluxer, multiple food allergies, verbal regression, and the coolest kid on the block.

Then                                           Now

Ari0825
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:38 PM

My baby was the same way for the first 3 months!! She is now 5 months (today actually =)!)

She would cry for 8-10hours straight a day, broke my heart. We tried everything. She would nap here and there for 20 mins. top. It become very frustrating as she could not be soothed.

Thought maybe she had colic. Doc said no. I knew she had colic! Running warm water soothed her, she loved to take a bath. (still does) Also, the pharmacy sells in the baby aisle, gripe water, its drops you can put in their mouth or bottle && its completely safe. Just herbs and such. About 3 days after I found that water, she stopped crying!! She is now the happiest baby in the world, always smiling.

I know it can be frustrating, and if your getting frustrated you need to put her down and walk away for a few minutes, gain composure (sp?), and go back to your baby. I suggest talking to your pedi.

Good luck.

xChasingxAmyx
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:39 PM

Quoting Dise6092:

Quoting xChasingxAmyx:

Does he have colic? Have your talked to your pedi about this? 

Yes we are scheduling an appointment to see the pediatrician this week. That didn't even cross my mind until last night. I hope it is not, though I don't know how serious Colic can be, or anything like that. >.<

Oh I just thought of something. I went through this with my eldest and we ended up changing formula to a low iron one. The iron was too much in his system. We used to use Enfamil Low Iron. They no longer make that now, but maybe you can try something with less iron. I could tell the low iron formula did the trick bc his poop was better and the crying stopped. Mostly the crying was the big hint ;o)

At any rate, keep us posted.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)