Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is there something off about this or is it just me? **EDIT in blue, I have had time to think about this more**

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:24 PM
  • 36 Replies

My son, who is 15yrs old has a cell phone....he received this as his b-day present a few months back....we have imposed rules and guidelines on his use of the phone...he is not allowed to send or receive inappropriate text/pics, he cannot use it during school hours (school rules too), he cannot have any number in his phone unless we know them and have approve (not really an issue there, for the most part) he has a limit on the minutes he can use per month and texting....(till he gets a job and he can pay for unlimited if he wants)...basically we pay the bill, we call the shots....we also have usage controls on there, where I can block certain numbers from being called or received...I can block the time frame that he uses it...etc...

Well his father has his cell number now...I really don't care about that...his number is blocked anyway. (don't get in a tizzy, he can call our home phone to talk to his son if he wants, and if it's an emergency he needs to be calling us not his 15yr old son)

O.k., my point here....his father has a new gf.....probably for a few months now...never met her myself, I only know her name...well according to my son, she has spent the night a few times....well when my son gave his father his cell number, he also gave his cell number to his dad's gf....Now that kinda doesn't sit well with me....IMO I don't see any need for an adult to have a teen's number in their cell phone unless they are related.....and vice versa....my son has only known this woman for a few months at best...I am not real comfortable with her having my son's number.

Do any of you have teenagers numbers in your cell that are not relatives or sitters? Why? Would you be o.k. if your son/daughter had numbers of adults in your phone that you didn't know who they were?

O.k. I have had time to think on this...and to talk (in person..LOL) to a good friend of mine....while talking it out with her..I have come to understanding that I did put my son in an awkward position by jumping on him so quickly, and I am sure he felt that he can't win for loosing when it comes to his parents...piss one off make the other happy and vice versa.... I should have given myself some time to think and then go from there....instead of reacting the way I did , I should have thanked him for being honest with me (he didn't have to tell me and then I'd have never known till I saw the bill the next month) I also neglected to give him kudos for not having her number in his phone. I know how his father is and I know that he pressured him to give him the number...and not knowing this woman, possibly she's a whack job like his dad is....SOOOOO while I am still upset with him for giving out his number to a complete stranger and once I get her number she will be blocked, and he DID break one of the rules set when he received his phone, and I will stick with my punishment...although I will probably take it down from a month to two weeks.

So lesson learned on my part.....damn raising teenagers isn't easy!!

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
A.J.s_mommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:26 PM

I personally do not have teen non family members phone numbers, but I am not sure that i see it as weird.  Maybe if she were a friend of the GF or something, but I dont know.

orange4agua72
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:27 PM

Do you have any reason to not trust this woman or to think she'll do something to your son? I think he probably just gave it to her and he has hers in case of an emergency with his dad... I wouldn't read too much into it!

Stick Figure Family at FreeFlashToys.com 

candygirl1030
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:28 PM

Well since it is not a stranger to your son I would say that it is ok for his father's gf to have his cell number.  For example his father may be out and not have brought his cell phone and your son may want to get in touch with him via his gf or Dad may want to talk to his son.  Really, I wouldn't get to freaked out about it.

lolamac
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:29 PM

Quoting orange4agua72:

Do you have any reason to not trust this woman or to think she'll do something to your son? I think he probably just gave it to her and he has hers in case of an emergency with his dad... I wouldn't read too much into it!

I don't know this woman at all...the last gf was arrested for felony battery for stabbing her estranged husband. She does't even live or work in the same town we live in (or so I am told) Oh and he does not have her cell number.

mysteriousmom06
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:30 PM

I had the number of my friend's daughter a while back. I guess I didn't think much of it, she asked if she could put her number in my phone & I said sure. I don't think she ever called me or that I called her. So I guess IMO, I don't see a problem with it

swizzlefiz
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:30 PM

We got my little sis a cell when she was 11 for being the maid of honor in my wedding.  Shes had 1 ever since.  My mom has looked at her texts a few times but for the most part leaves her alone.  She trusts my little sister and my little sister is 16 now and has never betrayed that trust.  I honestly wouldn't give a 15 year old a phone if I was gonna have that many restrictions on it, but if you aren't comfortable with it, block the gfs number.

lolamac
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:31 PM

Quoting mysteriousmom06:

I had the number of my friend's daughter a while back. I guess I didn't think much of it, she asked if she could put her number in my phone & I said sure. I don't think she ever called me or that I called her. So I guess IMO, I don't see a problem with it

Would you be o.k.if your child had an adults (that you didn't know) phone number in their cell phone?

maidenmouse
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:32 PM

I actually have a couple of teens numbers in my phone. One is my best friends daughter I don't call it but I have it. Also another friends daughters number. She seems to get her self into pickles and needs help. Her mom is a single parent and works a couple jobs.

A.J.s_mommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:33 PM

If you see it as a problem, then just tell her that you are not comfortable with her having it.  I dont find it to be a big deal, but apparently it is really bugging you, so just tell her to delete it.

Quoting lolamac:

Quoting mysteriousmom06:

Would you be o.k.if your child had an adults (that you didn't know) phone number in their cell phone?

lolamac
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:34 PM

Quoting maidenmouse:

I actually have a couple of teens numbers in my phone. One is my best friends daughter I don't call it but I have it. Also another friends daughters number. She seems to get her self into pickles and needs help. Her mom is a single parent and works a couple jobs.

You have a standing relationship with their parents...that I get....This is a complete stranger, as I mentioned before he has only met her a few times. She's just his father's flavor of the month.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)