Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How did you choose your childs name?

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:04 PM
  • 59 Replies

We were talking over the weekend about how my son got his name and I thought hey great question for CafeMom! Always thinking eh!

Anyway....we named our son after the Detroit Tiger Catcher Lance Parish and his middle name is after his Dad.

How did you choose your childrens names?

Join us on

Current Events & Hot Topics
              Group Mod

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kltaylor07
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:09 PM

our son's first name is for my maiden name: TAYLOR

middle name is for the chicago cubs field: WRIGLEY

most people thought we were crazy for the middle name but it was important to my hubby and it was a battle i wasn't going to fight =) 

"Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget the ones who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it."

mommyin07n08
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:13 PM

My daughters name is Emily Lynn. I got her first name after my great grandmother who passed 1 week before I found out I was pregnant. When she was a girl I knew it was ment to be. I just like the name Lynn with Emily. I was gonna do Rose but my middle name is Samara which is the name of the girl in the ring and I didnt want people to think about exercism of emily rose when they hear my daughters name. If she was a boy it would have been Logan Cade. After a character in my book I was reading on the train to and from school.

My son is Landon Michael. Landon after the movie a walk to remember. Michael after my uncle. When I was in labor the first time with my son (it was stopped) we found out that my uncle had taken a turn for the worse with his cancer (adult onset of Ewings Sarcoma). He died at 12:30 am November 25 last year PA time which was 10:30 my time in CO which was my 21 birthday. My son was 1 month 1 day old that day.

This baby will be Melody Alexus if its a girl. Melody because my husband and I were in choir together in high school. Alexus because 1 the spelling is like the car (my husband is a car fanatic and went to UTI to be a mechanic) also because his sister was supposed to be Claudia Alexus but his mom decided last minute to change it.

If this baby is a boy he will be Jason Alexander. Jason after my husbands best friend and Alexander after my great grandfather who was married to the woman I named my oldest after.

jackie8236
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:17 PM

my oldest is james michael -- my husband is patrick james (he wanted a 3rd since he's a jr. we compromised) and michael is after his grandfather

my 2nd is joseph francis -- joseph after my grandfather and francis after both of my husbands grandfathers

my 3rd is kaitlyn elizabeth -- kaitlyn my husband just really liked and elizabeth after his grandmother.

mommy0f2g1b
by Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:18 PM

Haley Rae- loved the name and Rae is MIL's middle

Lillian Rose- just popped in my head 3 days before she was born was set on another name but used this one instead.

Zachery Rhiyan- always loved Zachery and Ryan is dh's middle.

jadedbyu
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:28 PM

Well before John and I knew what we were having I had already picked out a girls name that I was dead set on no matter what. The boys name was so much harder. I started looking through baby name books and jotted a few down and John started thinking of some also. He knew he wanted us to use an old family name but hadn't decided on wether using it for the first or middle name. I finally told him it was up to him as long as it wasnt to crazy! So John went to work on picking out the name. He loved the movie Cars especially the old Hudson Hornet, and that is how we came up with Hudson Ryder. BTW John is a mechanic so it just kind of figures that was how he picked out the name lol.

Cynthia

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:41 PM

I always love to tell this:

Sutton is my 3 yo. Her name was the last name of my great grandparents that passed away years ago. They never got know her namesake, or that I even named her that.

Sosie is my 1 yo. I was thinking of naming her Sadie but I saw Sosie in a magazine. It's the name of Kevin Bacon's teenage daughter, LOL!

SexyPackerMama
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:43 PM

Damian = DH and I both really like that name

Michael = DH's dads first name  

HopeHelvete
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:44 PM

My daughter's name was inspired from the Exorcist: Regan

My son is nammed after my grandfather: Malcolm

Houstyn08
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:50 PM

My DDs name is Houstyn Lynne..I was going to name her Kylah when I was pregnant(i didnt know what she was that was the only name i liked tho i had no boy name) then my bf said houston like the city and i fell in love my only request was if she was a girl to put a Y instead of the last O so instead of Houston it was Houstyn..it looks more girly if she was a boy it would have been Houston Alexander. The reason he wanted Houston was becuase his sons are Dallas Christian and Austin MIchael. So he had a Texas theme going on...if i ever have another child it will be Kemah-Dawn Rhylee(girl) Addison Arlen(boy) Kemah and Addison are suburbs of Houston and Dawn was my grandmother who died 3 years before i was born and Rhylee was my best friends daughter who was a stillborn and Arlen is my grandfathers name and fathers middle name

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

ashli488
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:51 PM

i decided on naming my baby girl when shes born Hunter Mae, i was dead set on the name Hunter ever since i saw it in a baby name book and didnt care if it was more a boys name and Mae is my grandmothers middle name. if she was gonna be a boy we were gonna name him Ethan Ronald Russell Ethan because i was scrolling down a post and it looked like i had seen the name ethan (we were trying to figure out a boys name at the time) and i scrolled back up and didnt see that name anywhere, i thought it would be fate, Ronald for his dads name and Russell for my uncle who had passed away a few years ago from a massive heart attack... 

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)