Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You & school & work & home :0

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:21 PM
  • 21 Replies

I was wondering how many other moms out there go to school? Has a degree? & has put that degree to work?

I was curious mainly because, I started school back in 2001, I just recently was able to finish my Associates Degree at age 28 almost 29 years old and will be begining my BS in a few days.

I am a single mom, of two wonderful boys, when I began school I only had the one child, worked full time & went to school at night. I was doing good, very stressful but it was a dream I wanted to accomplish, well until my mother fell ill. So puttin school on hold, I worked full time, raised my son, & took care of my mother. She pulled out of it, so I tried to return to school part time, at this point I became pregnant again with my second, yet I was determined.

After my second son was born my mother fell ill really bad, having to transport her to another town, I had to cut back on the hours I work, quit school, & cared for her & my boys, did a lot of running back & fourth to the hospital which was over an hr away. She pulled out of it & has been doing much better ever sense, so I wanted to return to school but didnt not want to have to deal w/ finding a sitter, so find an online class. Started back in Aug of 2008, I finale finished this last week.

It feels so good, to be able to say I have done it, even though it took me over 6yrs and I am almost 29yrs old, but to say I have a Degree. I have just been wondering the last few days about how many other mothers have accomplished school, was it before kids or after or are you still, and was there a lot of road blocks as I had to push you so far behind.  And for those who have finished have you followed through with and put your degree to use? I know so many people who have a degree & yet they do not use it.

*Amanda*

american footballtoddler boy

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kltaylor07
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:29 PM

i went to college right out of high school in the fall of 2003.  i got pregnant the fall of my senior year and actually had my son the same month that i graduated from college.  i was thankful that i was already on track to graduate in 4 years, so when i got pregnant i just had to push through to get it all completed before i had him.  all i had to finish after he was born were a few courses and the finals in 2 summer courses (history and chemistry...sucked ha).  i graduated from the university of oklahoma with my degree in interior design in 2007. 

yes, i have since put that degree to good use.  4 mos after he was born i started working full time as a designer.  he's now 2.5 yrs old and i recently quit that same job because of personal reasons that i had with the company.  i have since started my own company.  i would say my degree will definately be going to good use because it is my passion.  it's what i've always wanted to do in life. 

my personal opinion is that if i'm going to work and i'm going to spend that time away from my family, it's going to be at a job that i love.  a career that is WORTH it.  those 40 hours a week is the better part of a life time and i don't want to look back and wonder how many years of that i hated.  of course i would do anything to support my family but given the choice, i'm going to put my degree to good work and apply it to something meaningful to myself  

CallieLynsMommy
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:29 PM

Good job OP! Way to show that mothers' can indeed finish school!

I had my DD during my senior year of college when I was going for my Anthropology B.A. I had her in the summer, while I also had online classes. I worked part time, went to school full time, and of course was a mommy during my final semester working toward my B.A. It was a bit difficult and I got little sleep but well worth it. After that I decided to go back for another B.A. in History, which I completed in May. That time around I had two part time jobs, went to school full time, and of course had mommy time! I took this year off because I became very ill at the end of last year (I get benign tumors throughout my body, I've had 2 operations to have them removed so far...I actually have a 3rd operation tomorrow morning that I'm trying not to freak out about...!). But, I love school and I start work on my Masters degree in Public History in August 2010. It does feel nice to say I have a degree, actually two! I'll feel even better once I have my M.A.!

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Mahatma Gandhi
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:32 PM

I started at community college when I was 18 and my son  was 4 1/2 months. It took me two and a half years to get my associates to due medical secretary work (didn't know what I wanted to do but knew I needed a degree). Started working full time as a clerk in a nursing home realized I hated the job and decided to go back to school. I'm working on my B.S. now for speech therapy, the program is killing me. Hopefully I'll graduate with my B.S. in spring 2011, then straight to grad school. My son in four right now. Whether or not you use your degree depends on what you get it in. It's tough but I know I'm doing the right thing to better provide for my son.

mommyboyz
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:37 PM

I so look forward to followin my dream. It sure does feel good to be able to say you have a degree, and then be able to put it to use, I so can't wait to do the same. I have my Associates in Health Care Administration and Billing, but after about half way through my courses I realized its just not what I have a pation for, I have worked in health care fields for over 10yrs. I have though changed my degree for my BS for Criminal Justice and I am very excited to get started this month.  

*Amanda*

american footballtoddler boy

la_bella_vita
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:39 PM

I got my degree in psychology. I found out I was pregnant 2 months before I graduted.

I plan on going back to law school eventually. 

*Happily married mommy of a princess and a prince with one on the way!*

SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on Dec. 2, 2009 at 1:54 AM

I have a BA in Criminal Justice & Sociology. I was in the social work field when I got our of college. Now I am a teacher-special ed. I was a lateral entry teacher in NC and was able to do that because of my degree. I had to take about 8 courses and pass the Praxis II but now I am a certified, licensed teacher. So yes and no to your question. LOL

hotmom40ish
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 5:10 PM

I too am in school. I do not work outside of the home and have a seven year old son and a nineteen year old daughter that no longer lives at home. My husband works in another town. I received my AAS degree in 1998 (at 36) and worked in that field until just before getting pregnant with my son.. I am now working on my BS and hope to graduate May 2010 if all goes well. My hat is off to you. It is not easy doing what you are doing. I wish you the best of luck! BTW I am almost 48 years old. Age has nothing to do with it. You should be proud that you have finished what you started. Congrats!!

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Dec. 2, 2009 at 8:00 PM

I am attending college as well.  I am currently almost done with my Bachelor's in Secondary Social Studies(5-adult).  Very excited.  I will then be going to grad school for my Masters in history.  Eventually i want my Ph.d in history.  It is going to be so worth it, I know this.  It is hard though some weeks(like right now is final weeks).  I have a 3.5 year old and have been married for 6.5 years.  My husband often travels because he just got promoted at work.  Like right now he has been gone all week-supposed to have been back yesterday.  Anyways, I take 18 hours(6 classes) a semester.  I decided to go back because honestly I realized staying home was not for me.  But I did not want to work some dead end job.  So logically I thought I wil go back and finish my teaching degree.  In this whole process we have realized no more kids for us!

Just because we become parents, does not mean we stop being husband and wife.  That is our secret to our happily,ever after.

Daisypath

Lilypie

bean06162004
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 9:24 PM

I'm currently a single mom to a 5 year old, I go to school at night part-time and I work full-time. I have a hard time keeping my confidence with school because I still have 3 years ahead of me. It was easy at first because my son was just going to daycare during the day, well now he's in Kindergarten and he has after school activities, so I'm completely overwhelmed! I am determined to finish my degree, but sometimes it just seems like TOO MUCH!

mommytam
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 9:28 PM

I did it for 18 months I recently finished. Well i did not work the whole time. Just the last 5 months, but I babysat while i attended school. I attened online. But it was still time consuming and it was hard at times. I now just work and home, and sometimes i think that is harder than going to school and being home..

Lilypie - (4kZx)     Lilypie - (THbT)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)