Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Growth Ultrasound??

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:35 PM
  • 15 Replies

I am 34 weeks pregnant and am going later this week for a growth ultrasound of baby.  Anyone have one of these and did they actually tell you the weight/length of baby?

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Larue09
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:37 PM

When I was 33 wks i had one done. They told me the baby was already 7 lbs. Well, she was born weighing 7lbs 3oz, so I don't think they were accurate!! Why are you having it done?

gabesmommy22
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:39 PM

I'm having it done because i have Ulcerative coltis which flaired up during my pregnancy and  i had to go on steroids to treat it

fireflymcl
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:42 PM

I had one then and they guesstimated that babies weight. They also found out he was breech at that time.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
AProsser
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:43 PM

Yes I had several done with both of my pregnancys because I have diabetes and they told me with my 1st DD that she weighed 8lbs and if I went full term she would weigh close to 9 lbs well I had her at 36 weeks and she weighed 8lbs 5 oz. With my 2nd DD at 35 weeks they said she weighed approx 6 pounds and I had her at 36 weeks and she weighed 6 lbs 5 oz. So I would say they were pretty accurate.

baby girltoddler girlin love *My Beautiful Family*

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Dec. 2, 2009 at 12:13 AM

Those are kinda funny. The doc told me, "Well, they're accurate within a pound in either direction."

SO, they'll tell you your baby weighs "X" amount, and then say, but it could be a pund lighter or a pound heavier. LMAO!

So, let me just help you: Your baby weighs between 6 and 9 lbs. Trust me, that's pretty close, lol!

Join us onAdvice for Moms - - Group Mod

STACIEH
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 12:23 AM

With my son I had a single umbilical artery alond with low amniotic fluid which causes low birth weight and an increased risk of still birth.  So at 33 weeks I went in 2x a week for them to do ultrasounds to check my amniotic fluid and make sure everything was ok. Each time I went they measured everything including weight. At 38 weeks they delivered my son via c-section bc he wasn't growing and my amniotic fluid was low.

gabesmommy22
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 12:24 AM

lol yea my doctor said they are pretty accurate....but they can be up to 20% off in either direction....but yea they are really accurate lol.  that doesn't sound too accurate to me!

Quoting AM-BRAT:

Those are kinda funny. The doc told me, "Well, they're accurate within a pound in either direction."

SO, they'll tell you your baby weighs "X" amount, and then say, but it could be a pund lighter or a pound heavier. LMAO!

So, let me just help you: Your baby weighs between 6 and 9 lbs. Trust me, that's pretty close, lol!

lifetimelove
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 12:45 AM

Is it for big baby or small baby?  I tend to think they're not very accurate the bigger the baby is.

I had IUGR and they did it for my daughter, and it was pretty accurate, but she was under five pounds. 

Have a child with special needs?  Don't have a diagnosis?  Come join other moms of special needs children without a diagnosis at my group:

www.cafemom.com/group/undiagnosed

skylersmommy010
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 12:52 AM

i have had 2 growth scans both times my baby has been measuring big but im not sure why they are doing them my doctor hasnt told me really. but usually they will tell you weight length and gender if you dont know or want to know. and they also tell you the babies position and if they have started to descend into the brithing canal.

chairhead28
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2009 at 12:54 AM

With both children I went in at 34 weeks to make sure they were growing accurately because I had preeclampsia with both of them. With both, they were pretty accurate, but ultrasounds can be off by about 2lbs (by being either heavier or smaller, so you *really* can't count on them.) 

I'm Kristina. I'm a married (to my high school sweetheart, Bobby), breastfeeding (and child-led weaning), co-sleeping, baby wearing, ERF, solid delaying, vegetarian (for over 16 years), vaccinating, disposable diapering, gentle disciplining, full-time college student, House MD loving, anorexia, self-injury and sexually abuse recovering, Fibromyalgia suffering SAHM to a handsome boy (Daniel Matthew 5.5.07) and my darling little boobie monster (Ryleigh Madison 9.13.08).

People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available.  ~Chele Marmet

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)