Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

getting tooth pulled

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:35 PM
  • 10 Replies

My six year old daughter is getting a baby tooth pulled tommorow due to a permanent tooth growing behind it which is not hitting the nerve so baby tooth won't fall out. I'm very worried how this is going to go tommorow. I don't think she'll take to this to well. I'm so anxious about this. Has anyone else gone through this with a young child?

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:47 PM

No, my kids are little still. But if it were me I would talk about it talk about it talk about. Draw pictures, maybe make an extra big deal about the toothfairy and how they make EXTRA SPECIAL trips for teeth that get pulled instead of falling out.

Just anything to make her feel better, GL, mama!

steffielou_who
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2009 at 12:05 AM

I too had this happen when I was little...  The big tooth was pushing against the baby tooth and causing a pocket of infection between the two! It went well.. They numbed me and I was wide awake the whole time.. Took about 20 minutes in the doctors room and didn't even bleed much!

wedding planning

sallymoon
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 12:11 AM

I had to have a few baby teeth pulled when I was little.  It really wasn't that bad at all, and I don't remember even being scared.  I had a dentist who was great with kids and nice with the nitrous oxide, so that probably helped.  I hope your daughter does okay!

alt075
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2009 at 12:20 AM

I don't know if he is using nitrous oxide or what. And what is it? I'm very scared she is going to flip out. Ohhhh, I'm so nervous. I can't wait for this all to be over tommorow.

Waycross48
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 8:38 PM

Hi, from Nana Judy!!  While this won't be a pleasant experience for your daughter - it should not be too bad for her.  They'll just numb it a bit.  Since the roots of a baby tooth are not as long as a permanent tooth so it won't be bad.  Please don't worry so much or you'll put that anxious feeling onto your daughter and you don't want that.  Best of luck and God Bless, Judy

jenelle379
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 8:46 PM

my son is 6 and just had the same thing done and it went very very well the gave him the gas and some novicaine he did cry because of the shot she will do just the worst part was hearing him cry for me and i would leave the room if i were you the listin to the dentist much better good luck!!!!

sallymoon
by on Dec. 3, 2009 at 4:11 AM

Nitrous oxide is that wonderful "laughing gas" that some dentists will give you when you have to have dental work done.  I always have to have nitrous.

Quoting alt075:

I don't know if he is using nitrous oxide or what. And what is it? I'm very scared she is going to flip out. Ohhhh, I'm so nervous. I can't wait for this all to be over tommorow.

alt075
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2009 at 6:36 AM

Thanks everyone. My daughter had her tooth pulled out yesterday. It went well. I did sit in the room with her. My dentist didn't use the gas. However he 1st put topical on then used this spray stuff that shoot novicain into the gum to start putting the mouth to sleep. Then he used the needle. She didn't feel the needle at all! I was very happy about that. However she did start crying when her lip started feeling big as she would say. She hated that feeling. I sat close to her and we just talked and she calmed down.

Then the dentist pulled her tooth out. It was quick. When he was done she said is that it. That didn't hurt at all. She started laughing. She got this cute little toothbox necklace she got to carry her tooth home in. :0) When we went out to the lobby she told everyone in the lobby about getting her tooth pulled while I paid. I'm glad that is done and now have that under our belt. She has to get some cavities done next week. So she is aware of how it works and seems much calmer about it now. :0)

lapcounter
by on Dec. 3, 2009 at 7:36 AM

I was a dental asst. for over ten years, little kids actually do better then their parents. Try to remain calm because she can feel your tension which makes her more nervous. I am sure it will go just fine :)

canthaveboys1
by on Dec. 3, 2009 at 7:42 AM

I am glad it went well. Good for her for being brave, I personally hate the dentist. Sounds like she did better than me. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)