Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Women's sizes XL? 1X?

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2009 at 11:32 PM
  • 13 Replies

What is the difference between a size XL and 1X?  Or XXL and 2X?  I am shopping online at Old Navy for my cousin (she said she wears XXL).  In the Women's department it goes all the way up to XXXL, but they also have a Women's Plus department that has 1X, 2X and 3X.  What is the difference?!?!

by on Dec. 7, 2009 at 11:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AndriaE
by on Dec. 7, 2009 at 11:39 PM

They may be a little bigger in the plus size department. They actually are cut differently than reg xl or xxl. You should ask her if she shops plus sizes or not.

HarleysMommy235
by on Dec. 7, 2009 at 11:41 PM

In my experiences the 1X and 2X are more for top heavy women, while the XL and the XXL are not. So if your cousin is more top heavy, then go for the 1X or 2X.

RoguesMommy
by on Dec. 7, 2009 at 11:43 PM

The plus size section will be bigger and made differently.

I went shopping at Fashion Bug and I didn't know they had a plus size section and a regular section. I was trying on clothes and I was picking out XLs and I grabbed one from the plus size section and I was drowning in it. All the regular XLs fit fine. I liked the other shirt so much though that I went and tried on a small in that section and it still doesn't fit the same as the other shirts.

SKnack
by Member on Dec. 8, 2009 at 8:01 AM

I know when I was shopping for a coat to fit my PG belly, I didn't want to buy a maternity one. All of the regular L, XL, etc...didn't fit right, they all got slimer in the waist. So I went into the Plus Section and started looking at 1X coats. It was a huge difference from XL. It felt like it was at least 2x bigger. Also, it did not get slimer in the waist. Overall it was just a little bit big for me everywhere and should definitely fit my growing belly.

As for Old Navy a lot of the time I have to buy XXL if I shop there. In other stores I usually where a L or XL depending on the brand/cut (when I'm not PG). The XXL at Old Navy definitely fit my larger chest better. Sizes between brands vary so much now days. If you buy your friend clothes for Christmas, just remember to get a gift receipt so she can exchange it for a larger size, if needed.

sleveric
by on Dec. 8, 2009 at 9:23 AM

XL would be about a size 14, 1x is often 16-18 or 18-20.  But every brand fits different.  In my experience, Old Navy fits kind of small.  Just be sure to get a gift receipt.

emarin77
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2009 at 12:38 PM

It depends on how many Xs she is.  Since she is XXL she would be 2X.

Missy5Brianne
by on Dec. 8, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Missies        same as     Womens

18 (XL)                             16

XXL                                  18

XXXL                                20

Missy5Brianne
by on Dec. 8, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Also Old Navy runs a  bit small even in the women's sizes....i would ask her for her measurements or just buy a bit bigger and make sure to give her the receipt to return.

momoftwins240
by on Dec. 8, 2009 at 2:45 PM

XXL and 2X are the same thing.  In numbers that would be a size 22/24.

XL is not considered a "plus size".  In numbers that would be a size 14/16 I think.

1X is a plus size and that equals size 18/20 numerically.

I hope this helps. 

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 8, 2009 at 2:57 PM

An XL is just a regular XL.  1X is larger all over than an XL. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN