Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

weaning....

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:42 AM
  • 8 Replies

I was just wondering how everyone weaned their child from the bottle...My son only gets it when he lays down for a nap and throws it out of the crib and replaces it with the paci before he passes out, I just dont know how to get rid of it with out a huge fuss...any ideas, or advice on how you did it, anything is greatly appreciated! thanks so much

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
BaileynMe
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:48 AM

DD was around 18 months before we managed to kick it, lol. She wouldn't drink out of the hard plastic cups so I got the Nuby cups with the silicone lids, which helped the transition a lot. One day, I just started giving her the hard lidded cups. 

Join us onAdvice for Moms - - Group Mod

tasha88
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:02 AM

ya i give him the hard lidded cups to eat with and he got those at six months and handled them like a pro right away....its just this darn bottle i dont know how to kick it....i might try the soft top sippy cups....i really want to get the whole bottle out of the bed anyways...even tho he throws it when hes done, i dont want it in there...and i wasn't the one who started it! lol

MichelleJ1000
by Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:18 AM

My first drank a bottle until the age of three.  On her third b-day she had to throw it away in the trash.  She had no problems throwing it away and didn't even ask for it.

Second one used the playtex nursers and I was about to have my 3rd baby and told the middle one that the bottle disappeared.  They didn't even ask for it once it was gone.

With my third baby I tried weaning her off the bottle at 18 mos. but hubby wasn't having it. So one day my little one turned the nipple inside out and I told her it was broken.  She had no problems giving up a "broken" bottle. 

Good luck to you.

stpalmsgirl
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:20 AM

I have no idea my dd is 2 1/2 and still breastfeeding and never took a bottle. Maybe trying to by him some fun cups or sippy cups that he likes??

PrydferthMenyw
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:28 AM

Quoting MichelleJ1000:

With my third baby I tried weaning her off the bottle at 18 mos. but hubby wasn't having it. So one day my little one turned the nipple inside out and I told her it was broken.  She had no problems giving up a "broken" bottle. 

I like this idea!  Don't do it right before bedtime, though, or you'll have a huge fuss.  Try it when he wants the bottle during the day.  You are also doing a good thing by giving him a cup during meals so he can get used to that.  Would he try one of those new type of cups with the straws built in?  I know my children couldn't suck from a straw that young, but children nowadays are more advanced.

Join us onAdvice for Moms ~ Group Mod

tasha88
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 6:47 PM

he only uses it at bed time he doesn't get it during the day and doesn't really want it....i figured once he turned one it was time to get rid of  the bottle, i always heard if it was much longer it was harder, but i feel better now and maybe once he understands it wont be as bad. He does drink from a straw he has been since he was about 10 months so hes got some of those sippy cups to and loves em, esp when we go to dinner he gets to use his big boy straw also! lol, thank you so much tho! I feel better bout him using the bottle still then!

Quoting PrydferthMenyw: 

Quoting MichelleJ1000:

I like this idea!  Don't do it right before bedtime, though, or you'll have a huge fuss.  Try it when he wants the bottle during the day.  You are also doing a good thing by giving him a cup during meals so he can get used to that.  Would he try one of those new type of cups with the straws built in?  I know my children couldn't suck from a straw that young, but children nowadays are more advanced.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 15, 2009 at 6:52 PM

Take them away and just give sippy cups. 

mz.hellokittyy
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 6:54 PM

my son was 1 1/2 when he finally got off the bottle. i thought it was going too be very hard taking the bottle away from him since he loved it so much;but actually turned out that he didnt even care once he seem me throw away all his bottles in the garbage. i just simply told him that they were nasty and if he kept drinking from the bottle the monster would come and get him at night. lol instead i just replaced his bottle with a cup of water. it worked out good. :) good luck 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)