• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cereal in a 7 weeks olds bottle

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:30 AM
  • 16 Replies

My friend just had a baby and the father is incarcerated.  She doesn't have much experience with infants but she thinks she knows everything.  She thinks her son isn't getting enough to eat from formula alone and is going to put rice cereal in bottle.  I tried to tell her that he is was too young for cereal but she doesn't seem to listen.  Why exactly shouldn't she use cereal yet?  Is it because he is so small and is unable to digest properly? 

She also only gives him a bath once a week.  How often do you bathe your newborns?  The creases in his hand are dirty.  He is a baby and I don't think he should have dirty hands yet...he doesn't do anything to get dirty.

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shebearncub
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:32 AM

Hmmmmm sounds like she could benefit from a child rearing class or two.

I bathed my dd at that age every other day wether she needed it or not! And cereal at this age I feel is too much for the infants system. He will choke on it and his digestive tract is NOT ready to digest it yet. Sorry but thats a pet peeve of mine.......

Good luck with her! Just keeping offering hints I guess.......

PrydferthMenyw
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:36 AM

Quoting shebearncub:

Hmmmmm sounds like she could benefit from a child rearing class or two.

I bathed my dd at that age every other day wether she needed it or not! And cereal at this age I feel is too much for the infants system. He will choke on it and his digestive tract is NOT ready to digest it yet. Sorry but thats a pet peeve of mine.......

Good luck with her! Just keeping offering hints I guess.......

Precisely!

Unless he has a medical deficiency or need that the pediatrician would recommend cereal in the bottle, then it is a no-no.

Poor baby.

Can you contact your pediatrician for advice to give to her? Something printed on statistics or foundings or something by medical experts who have dealt with children who have had negative experiences from this? 

Join us onAdvice for Moms ~ Group Mod

othermom
by Gold Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:37 AM

You are not supposed to feed them cereal that young becuase their bodys are not ready to digest it, but doctors some times will reccomend it for stuff like reflux. As for baths, I only give my daughter baths about twice a week. It is cold and she really doesn't need it more. I do use a rag to clean her up in between.

rileysmommy831
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:37 AM

my sisters baby has had acid reflux since birth and the gastro doctor advised that one teaspoon of cereal was to be put in every bottle to help thicken it up. its up to the parent really but if she isnt sure he is getting enough the pedi should be able to let her know.

as for the bath thing -- yes babies dont "get dirty" but they should be given a bath every other day or at least wipe them down with a wipe if you dont have time esp with the holidays.

"When life turns unexpected I look at your smile and realize everything will be better."
ajjs1972
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:39 AM

I gave my son cereal in his bottle at two weeks old. not alot, just enough to make the formula a little heavier. I also only bathed him about every three days as a newborn. when he was about three months he started to be a little more active and drooling more, so the baths came more. ( drool down around his neck and stuff)

as long as she isn't making the bottle so thick he can't drink it, he should be fine.

go ahead and bash me. my son is now 15, soon to be 16 and is healthy. I would raise him the same again if I had the chance.

Crissy2424
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:39 AM

My daughter didn't get food until 5 months 3 weeks. She got a bath every other day or every couple days because it was spring still and I didn't want her skin to get dried out. I guess at such a young age the intestines or whatever are not fully sealed and that could cause health problems. And yea she can't digest food. Plus, the nutrition isn't needed until at least 5 months. I wish you luck and I agree that all you can do is drop a hint here and there and if you feel like the child is in danger in any way call CPS. I know it is your friend, but the child's well being comes first. Good luck and just try and help any way that you can.  

jillbailey26
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:40 AM

Yes, he won't be able to digest the cereal properly.  They're recommending that you wait until 6 months to start anything solid now.  Babies eat more often because their stomachs are small.  As he starts consuming more formula, he'll start spacing out his feedings.  The cereal won't help much because he will still be filling the same amount of space, just with a different substance.  Tell her to ask her pediatrician before adding cereal to the bottle, since it's only done when a doctor recommends it.

With baths, I bathed mine every other day until they started running around and getting dirty, then it's everyday.  If we went somewhere (to the store) I would give them an extra bath to get the store germs off, lol.  Once a week is not enough, she needs to do it at least 3 times a week or more.

jillbailey26
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:42 AM

My mom started me on cereal at 2 weeks old too.  I have horrible stomach troubles.  I think it screwed up my whole digestive system.

Quoting ajjs1972:

I gave my son cereal in his bottle at two weeks old. not alot, just enough to make the formula a little heavier. I also only bathed him about every three days as a newborn. when he was about three months he started to be a little more active and drooling more, so the baths came more. ( drool down around his neck and stuff)

as long as she isn't making the bottle so thick he can't drink it, he should be fine.

go ahead and bash me. my son is now 15, soon to be 16 and is healthy. I would raise him the same again if I had the chance.

ajjs1972
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:43 AM

I'm sorry about that, really.

so far my boy eats like a freaking horse! my purse almost can't take it!

it may have been the cause but then again it may not have.

Quoting jillbailey26:

My mom started me on cereal at 2 weeks old too.  I have horrible stomach troubles.  I think it screwed up my whole digestive system.

Quoting ajjs1972:

StephanieCD
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:46 AM

I don't really feel like the baby is in danger it just makes me sad that she doesn't research stuff more.  She is incredibly stubborn and doesn't take advice easily.  She is always saying how much he sweats which I think is even more reason to bathe him more than once a week...he doesn't have that nice 'baby' smell.  I told her she should at least call his pedi before putting rice cereal in his bottle.  She probably won't...stubborness.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)