Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

12yo daughter on wrestling team?

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:36 AM
  • 13 Replies

My daughter is very athletic. Last year she played all of the sports that were offered at her school and won an award for most outstanding athletics and acedemics in the school. Well over the summer we moved to a new school district and they stared most of the sports over summer break so she didn't get to participate because she wasn't enrolled in time. Also this school doesn't offer softball or soccer, her favorite sports. Well the other day she came home with a paper for the wrestling team. She is really excited and wants to join. The problem is that she will be the only girl on the team. I'm not worried about her getting hurt, trust me, she has a 15yo brother and she can beat him down. I'm just not sure if I feel comfortable with her being on the team. I have always told her that she can do anything that a man can do. Just because she's a girl she shouldn't let it hold her back in anything. So I'm lost. What would you do? Please be nice, no bashing.

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ann7227
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:39 AM

My son is in wrestling and there is a girl on his team. Not sure how they have her wrestle though. Let her do it !!! I wish I was athletic when I was her age.

mamaraylene
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:41 AM

If I was a mother to a daugter, I would definetely worry about her joining a wrestling team with all boys but if your sure that she will have no problems, then I think it's great! Its so hard now a days for women to not be stereotyped about things like that and I think that if she can do it, then you should let her go for it. I think it's wonderful for her to be able to come out on top on a man's sport. Good luck mama!!

ashleykilleen
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:44 AM

I never did wrestling but i did shoot competitively from the time i was 11-16 years old, i was almost always the only girl.Most of the time i was competing against men that were 20 years and up and it made me feel so good that i was the only girl not to mention the only kid competing. I think that letting your daughter join the team is gonna do wonders for her not to mention she might even interest other girls in wanting to join too.

I think you should let her go for it aslong as she wants to and its gonna make her happy.

-ash

CafeMom Tickers

~Look how far my Little Man has Come~

~*Ashley*~

*Loving Wifey To Chris*

~Wonderful Mommy To Sheamus~

s.t.e.p.h
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:47 AM

Good for her..I'd let her do it! My brother wrestled from 7th grade until he graduated highschool and there was a girl on his team. She was a great wrestler..she had alot of support from everyone and she was very respected...good luck!

((*Steph-23 year old stay at home momma to my 3 March babies:Elijah,Brayden and Hannah.

my4kidsrock2
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:57 AM

Thank you everyone. I was leaning more towards letting her join. I just wanted to get a few outside opinions.

ballewal
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Hell yes let her on the team! 

xChasingxAmyx
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:02 AM

I don't know. My gut reaction is to say no, because she will be around a lot of boys who are rough housing. Call me pessimistic (or paranoid), but I would be afraid things would go too far one day and end up in a sexual sitatuion being forced to do things. Like I said, call me paranoid, but that is just not a situation where I would put a girl into. A room filled with boys and the testosterone raging while they are showing off. Seems risky to me. I am sure she is more than able to do it and I know I would trust my daughter, it would be the boys I couldn't trust. I hope I didn't offend. Just being honest.

2girlsMom.MN
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:23 AM

I wouldn't allow my daughters to do wrestling or football unless it was a all girls team. Those are close contact sports can you imagine if a boy got dared to grab her up or something?

My brothers are both wrestlers. My brother had to wrestle a girl in highschool he was so embarrassed and so afraid he'd lose to a girl and never hear the end of it. This girl was so good she'd gone to state etc. My brother went out there and tore this girl up he was NOT gonna lose. He was 10x rougher, 10x more aggressive wrestling this girl than he was ever with wrestling a guy.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
MyLittleMan105
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:29 AM

My friend won the state wrestling competition three years in a row and his coach told him to break any girls arm that tried to get into wrestling. The reason is that it is such a close contact sport its inappropriate to be wrestling a girl and a lot of the guys were uncomfortable with it and tried to be nicer to her and would end up losing points. I know girls can do anything that guys can do mentality and I'm fine with it, but this is one thing that i just dont think is smart. I also agree with the previous poster about how this puts her in a situation to be sexually harassed. There's no "private rooms" for her to change into her wrestling tights! Its an all boy-sport... sorry, my vote is no on this one. Encourage her to wait it out or maybe to explore other sports options, or find a new hobby.

CafeMom Tickers
youngmom33
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:41 AM

I would but explain to her about situations that may come of her being on the team and ask her if she is prepared to deal with it.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)