Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Playground Etiquette -- Should He Have to Give Up the Swing?

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:41 AM
  • 34 Replies

My6yo son is way too big for the baby bucket type swing at our local park, but that doesn't stop him from wanting to go in it. Of course, I can never get him out, but that's another issue.

So the other day a woman with a baby was waiting to use the baby swing, which my son was in. She was kind of eyeing me like, you should tell your son to get off now because this is for babies and my daughter wants a turn.

Well, I just turned to her and smiled politely, and my son finished up in a few minutes anyway, but I wondered if there is some rule about big kids always letting littler kids go first on the playground.

Are there any other playground rules you think should exist so that big and little kids can play happily?

I may use your responses in a Daily Buzz post, thanks!

Cynthia

Daily Buzz Blogger

See what I'm writing about today in Baby and Big Kid!

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovinmyboys...
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:44 AM

I see both sides.

Yes, if your son is too big for the baby swings, he should be using a big kid swing and let the babies use the baby swing.

However, if you were there first, you have a right to let him use whatever he wants. 

CafeMom Tickerssanta blue

xChasingxAmyx
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:44 AM

Honestly, I would have had my son give up the swing to a smaller child who actually needed it. While I don't think what you did was wrong, it's just not something I would have done. I think when it comes to things like that, it's fine until a child who's age that the swing/area intended for comes along.

alwaysyoung
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Quoting lovinmyboys...:

I see both sides.

Yes, if your son is too big for the baby swings, he should be using a big kid swing and let the babies use the baby swing.

However, if you were there first, you have a right to let him use whatever he wants. 

I agree I can see both sides also.

hailnbray
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:46 AM

if its something like the baby swing then yes he should have gotten off the swing and gave it to the baby. but if its something like a slide or something everyone can use then its first come 

My daughter has autism but she can laugh, cry, and love just like yours. she may never dress herself but she can go to college and become a dr.  she may never make friends her own age but shes my friend for life. and please if u ever get the chance to meet my daughter, stop looking at her like shes a brat, she cant help her stairs or attitudes u can help urs. get to close u might get bit but it wont give u autism. do yourself a favor look it up. 

tha-hawt-mommie
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:48 AM

i would have made him get off. after all its a baby swing -- for the babies.

swizzlefiz
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:51 AM

If there was a "big boy" swing available I think he should have switched to that so the baby could use the baby swing.

As for other rules .... oh goodness

#1. Watch your own kids and guide them to be nice or I will!

#2. The slide if only for going DOWN if you aren't the only one at the park.

#3. Get your kid off the bottom of the slide so the next kid can go ... gravity is a hard thing to counter-act once the next kid starts going.

I could go on and on ... I hate the park b/c of other parents ... most of them suck!

lovinmyboys...
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:53 AM

The "nice" thing to do would have been to let the baby have the baby swing. 

CafeMom Tickerssanta blue

wilesmomma
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:54 AM

Quoting swizzlefiz:

If there was a "big boy" swing available I think he should have switched to that so the baby could use the baby swing.

As for other rules .... oh goodness

#1. Watch your own kids and guide them to be nice or I will!

#2. The slide if only for going DOWN if you aren't the only one at the park.

#3. Get your kid off the bottom of the slide so the next kid can go ... gravity is a hard thing to counter-act once the next kid starts going.

I could go on and on ... I hate the park b/c of other parents ... most of them suck!

I agree!!

GoneNutty
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:57 AM

IMO, having both big and little kids, I think the baby swings should be left to the babies...I might even get a little perturbed at a woman letting her big kid use it while I waited there with my little one, especially since playgrounds are usually built to suit older children and there is very little that a baby can use besides the swings. That being said, if there weren't very many children around, I would probably let my big kids use the baby swings if they wanted to, but I would make them get off the moment a little one showed up.

As far as "playground etiquette", I don't believe that exists. Unfortunately, so many parents just let their kids go crazy and don't bother to watch them and what happens? Little ones invariably get hurt by the big kids. I've taught my boys to always watch out for kids that are smaller than them, but that's my own rule we take to the playground and any other play space or area. :)

maybaby08
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:57 AM

I would have let her have the swing, it's a equipment intended for babies. She had a baby with her and you didn't, just my opinion.

Yes we CAN and Yes we DID!!!!

Photobucket

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)