• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

would it be better to get a pup or to get an adult

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:15 AM
  • 11 Replies

My husband and I would like to get a german shepherd. We have a 2 year old Shih Tzu and I want to get a pup so that it will start out the same size as him and grow. My husband wants to get an adult because if we get a pup it will think it can play fight with Jazz (the shih tzu). So I don't really know. We have a female puppy for us to get because we have a a male but I'm not sure.

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
armywife2009101
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:17 AM

German Shepards are one person dogs. i would suggest you get a puppy. If you have a young kid  than puppy will be the way to go. German Shepards are very protective.

canthaveboys1
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:18 AM

Personally I like to get mine as pups. Only because than I know how they are raised from young puppies. I know they were not mistreated. You will also know the temperment of the dog. I think a pup would be better. but thats jmo. 

amber_mommyof2_
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:19 AM

i would get a puppy! they will learn to grow and protect you and your family. if you get an adult it will be easier as far as training it but you never know what its been thru or how itll act. we are getting a german shepherd pup too :)

ChazznRoccosmom
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:25 AM

It's really up to you. I use to own several shepherds, plus we fostered and rescued them. Yes, a puppy will play fight with your dog. But that's okay as long as your other dog doesn't mind. He may actually enjoy the extra play mate. But out of all the ones we've brought into our home, we've never had one reject any of our other dogs, even the pomeranian. I will say though, from what I've seen, the males seem to be more accepting of other dogs than females. But that could just be because the alpha of our pack was a female. But our males would let us bring in any thing. Our female would let us bring in anything that wasn't another another female.

BTW, we've never boughten a pup, we've always adopted ours as adults, and we've never had a problem with our other pets or kids. 

Mom             Dad         Chazz (7y)   Rocco (4y)    Joey (14m)

Breastfeeding, baby wearing, natural birthing, anti-abortion, SAHM who loves her tattoos, piercings, and hair dye

ajscarver
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:29 AM

I think I would pull with your hubby on this one. I would go with one out of the puppy stage and already trained. You should look into a rescue that specializes in German Shepherdsas they would be able to find one that fits perfect with your family and would probably give you a chance to try it out just to make sure it will work. Rescues really are great about finding the perfect match for families. My grandmother has a dachshund that is about 6 years old and they were wanting a larger dog and decided on a lab. They went to pet shops but the pups were to excited. They went to our local humane society, and were able to foster an adult lab, but it didn't work out as the lab they fostered hadn't been around other animals before and was pretty aggressive towards there dachshund. When they took the lab back to the shelter they recommended a lab rescue and gave them a name and number which was local (so try asking your shelter if they have a local shepherd rescue). They contacted them and with in 2 weeks they found the perfect match and he is great. Is very gentle (yea a lab that is a gentlegiant) and the two dogs are inseparable.  I wish you the best of luck

momofne
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:54 AM

I think I would get a puppy. They are alot of work yes but I think it would be worth it knowing that it was socialized well with children and other dogs. Your children are old enough too to help take on some of the responsibilities. What ever you choose please do not buy from a pet store. Too many diseased dogs being sold (many from puppy mills) and alot of heartache (and money) that sometimes follows.

dosthepost
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Well, with puppies you have no medical history, a lot of puppy vetting and altering, expensive food, etc. Plus the fact that yes, it may pick on your other dog, and could get hurt. With an adult you could get an altered dog, or at least one who's had a first series of vaccinations. It would have a medical history, and yeah, getting an adult will most likely be the easiest and cheapest route... HOWEVER, make sure you know that you're getting a well treated and well behaved dog. I love German Shepards, but they are big dogs, and need to be trained in order to be kept under control.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Quoting dosthepost:

Well, with puppies you have no medical history, a lot of puppy vetting and altering, expensive food, etc. Plus the fact that yes, it may pick on your other dog, and could get hurt. With an adult you could get an altered dog, or at least one who's had a first series of vaccinations. It would have a medical history, and yeah, getting an adult will most likely be the easiest and cheapest route... HOWEVER, make sure you know that you're getting a well treated and well behaved dog. I love German Shepards, but they are big dogs, and need to be trained in order to be kept under control.

I agree.

We have a shepherd and they require a lot of work. They are working dogs and NEED to be kept busy. You need to be actively working on them all the time. Obedience classes are a MUST, especially for a puppy! My shepherd also loves agility courses, so we enroll her in those regularly so she can burn off some of that extra energy. If they are not kept busy enough, like any dog, they will become destructive.

I would go for an adult. Shepherds are tough dogs. Some are super intelligent, some are complete duds. With an adult, they will have been assessed for things like aggression etc. Also, I know here anyway, they have shepherds that didn't make the cut at the big police academy. There is nothing wrong with them, they are just too easily distracted or couldn't meet physical requirements etc. They are well trained, just not police material.

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

mommamiaria
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:13 PM

If you get an adult I would not leave the German Shepherd & Shih Tzu alone when you are not home or unsupervised. You just never know and I have had friends that have lost dogs as a result.

I would like to invite you to join THE COOKING CAFE. It's all about Food, Fun & Friends. Swap recipes, share ideas, ask questions or just hang out. We have a RECIPES section divided into categories to make it easy for our members to find what they are looking for. It's an awesome group and we would love for you to join us.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/27504

SouthTxPrincess
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:41 PM

my boyfriend and i got a puppy cause we wanted to train her ourselves but its been really hard. im the one who deals with her 3/4 of the day cause he works all day and i got stuck training her for the most part. she also has allergies which we didnt know cause she had no medical history, its really time consuming and sometimes really frustrating but we love her and i think in the long run it will be worth all the hard work we have put into raising her. so if u have the time and u dont think u will go crazy with all the walking and potty training i think its best to go with a puppy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)