Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Puppy help ( update on pg 2 *pics*)

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:45 PM
  • 20 Replies

This is probably a stupid question, but here goes.  I just adopted a puppy yeaterday and she is only about 6-7 weeks old.  Do you know of any flea shampoo that is safe for her?  I was thinking of using some dawn.  My FIL told me to do this.  I thought that after I wash her with the dawn, I could use some oatmeal shampoo.  That way her skin dont get to dry.  What should I do?

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jeromeo
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:46 PM

Call a vet. They should be able to answer that over the phone for you. 

recey2007
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:47 PM

Does she have flies already??

I worked at Petco for a ehile and I know that there are puppy flie shampoo DONT USE THE REGULAR ONE!!! it can hurt them really bad! but if you go to a pet store they should have some puppy flie shampoo

ChazznRoccosmom
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:52 PM

If she doesn't have fleas already, leave it alone. If she for sure does, I'd try a puppy flea shampoo. 

Mom             Dad         Chazz (7y)   Rocco (4y)    Joey (14m)

Breastfeeding, baby wearing, natural birthing, anti-abortion, SAHM who loves her tattoos, piercings, and hair dye

shebearncub
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:53 PM

That sounds good to me. I have heard that Dawn can really work! Your puppy may be too young for frontline but I would call a vet to make sure.

My dog is almost 3 and I keep frontline on him and NEVER had a flea problem. I also bathe him in oatmeal doggy shampoo to keep him from drying out so much. He is a Yorkie.

What kind of puppy did you get?

KyliesMom5
by Gold Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:56 PM

Dawn is only a temporary solution. If the pup has fleas it will only get the fleas on the dog and not what are in the environment.  Which that is where they now if he came into the house with them on him.  DO NOT get any sort of fleas protection from the vet store.  That stuff does not work and is dangerous.   Call the vet because there are flea products safe to use on pups that young. 

lilysmommy330
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:01 PM

Quoting shebearncub:

That sounds good to me. I have heard that Dawn can really work! Your puppy may be too young for frontline but I would call a vet to make sure.

My dog is almost 3 and I keep frontline on him and NEVER had a flea problem. I also bathe him in oatmeal doggy shampoo to keep him from drying out so much. He is a Yorkie.

What kind of puppy did you get?

Shes a mutt...lol.  Chihuahua mix.  I have a Boston terrier, but she never had fleas this young.  She had them when I picked her up last night.....We use frontline to on my boston.  Good stuff.

cleo1977
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:03 PM

my thinking is call your vet.i think he is to little for regular flee shampoo.i hate to say anything but why does the dog have fleas.hes kind of young.ive gotten dogs from a store and dogs from out in the woods and they never had fleas.in anycase i would take the dog to the vet and have him checked over....

lilysmommy330
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:44 PM

Quoting cleo1977:

my thinking is call your vet.i think he is to little for regular flee shampoo.i hate to say anything but why does the dog have fleas.hes kind of young.ive gotten dogs from a store and dogs from out in the woods and they never had fleas.in anycase i would take the dog to the vet and have him checked over....

She had them when I picked her up last night, from the people I got her from.  They have A LOT of other dogs too.  There arent many, hubby picked about 5 off of her.  Thats all we saw, I just cant stand the thought of fleas in my house.....ugh.

KyliesMom5
by Gold Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:59 PM

Quoting lilysmommy330:

Quoting cleo1977:

She had them when I picked her up last night, from the people I got her from.  They have A LOT of other dogs too.  There arent many, hubby picked about 5 off of her.  Thats all we saw, I just cant stand the thought of fleas in my house.....ugh.

I would frankly, take this pup to the vet to be checked out asap.  From a few comments i have seen i am seeing red flags and i would just want to make sure the pup truly is healthy.

lilysmommy330
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 5:54 PM

Quoting KyliesMom5:

Quoting lilysmommy330:

Quoting cleo1977:

I would frankly, take this pup to the vet to be checked out asap.  From a few comments i have seen i am seeing red flags and i would just want to make sure the pup truly is healthy.

Just curious, what red flags?? Shes fine, shes eating, drinking, using the potty, playing....Im just wondering what I could use to get rid of a couple of fleas....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)