Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I get my 3rd grader to like school?

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:38 PM
  • 5 Replies

I had an early appointment so I wasn't there to get him off to school today. I come home and he is coming down the steps as I open up the door. I was so upset because last Friday he stayed home because of a stomach ache.

So I sat him down and he told me that he doesn't like school. I tried the scare tactic of their going to send a police man to our house to see why your not going to school. It didn't work..

Then I went into 20 questions mode and his answers were short and sweet. No nobodys bullying me, No the works not hard, No the works not easy, No No No...

Then after sitting with him for awhile he told me that he dislikes reading, that it's boring. School is boring. His exact words to me were, I sit there for 6 hours bored and can't wait to go home and play..

How can I make school fun for him, is there such a way??

Mindy

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
canthaveboys1
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:46 PM

Is the work to easy for him?  

Mindy98
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 6:16 PM

You know I thought that, because there are many times he'll come home and have no homework. But when I call around to some of my friends their kids are studying for tests and have homework. He gets it done when they have time to work on it.

The one time during a test he actually had time to write on another piece of paper the questions and answers. He brought them home for me to see if he passed his test.

His grades are A's and B's, which isn't bad but could be better. K through 2nd grade he was a straight A student. They have a new reading program this year, at first he was having trouble with it but now he breezes through it with no problems.

He doesn't have a problem reading, he just doesn't like to sit down and read a book. He would rather do other things..

I'm at a loss at what to do, I have emailed and talked to his teacher several times and it seems like nothings working.

nikki0522
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 6:23 PM

School IS boring...lol. That's just one of the reasons that we homeschool. I can tailor his lessons to his interests and keep him challenged at all times. Maybe instead of asking what he doesn't like, try asking what he does like. There must be something he enjoys about school.

Mindy98
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 6:29 PM

I did ask him that he said recess when we have it, this new school year has changed a bit and they only have recess twice a week now.

He also likes math and science. But they spend an hr. on Reading and another hour on Corrective Reading with another teacher. Every child has to do this because our scores are low for our school.

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 6:37 PM

If reading is an issue for him, try comic books.  At least for a little while, he can still get his reading practice in and enjoy himself.  Maybe he can start reading a book on the computer??? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)