Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Implanon Removal

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 5:38 PM
  • 12 Replies

I'm getting my implanon bc taken out this week. I was wondering if anyone knew what side effects to expect, how the procedure goes...an honest estimate of the level of pain.

I'm nervous!

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 5:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
truely914
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 5:43 PM

I don't know what a implanon is.  What is it?

dorojas
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 5:49 PM

Quoting truely914:

I don't know what a implanon is.  What is it?

it's a type of birth control. a one inch plastic rod that gets placed on your inner arm bw the bicep and tricep. i know removal involves a minor surgical procedure. implantation caused tons of bruising and pain.

truely914
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Did it hurt having it put in?  It probably will feel the same way when they take it out.

dorojas
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 5:57 PM

Quoting truely914:

Did it hurt having it put in?  It probably will feel the same way when they take it out.

i don't doubt it.

i'm just not sure when to expect a period again, if it's gonna cause mood swings/hormonal changes. i haven't had a real period since i've had it placed. i bled for a month w/ clots and think i miscarried. and then i spotted 2x in a one month period after that for about a week each.

i also don't know how long after removal to concieve, if there's higher chance immediatly after removal.

truely914
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Quoting dorojas:

Quoting truely914:

i don't doubt it.

i'm just not sure when to expect a period again, if it's gonna cause mood swings/hormonal changes. i haven't had a real period since i've had it placed. i bled for a month w/ clots and think i miscarried. and then i spotted 2x in a one month period after that for about a week each.

i also don't know how long after removal to concieve, if there's higher chance immediatly after removal.

haven't you talk to the Dr. about your worries.  i would write my questions down and have him respond to my questions.  Best Wshes  I know it's scary.

mommyziegler
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 6:43 PM

i asked my ob gyn if she would give that to me after i had my daughter and she refused to because she said it is a very dangerous birth control and not safe. But good luck with getting it taken out!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/drmfreemama   Come join drama free mama's!

CafeMom Tickers

toddler girl                                 in love                               its a boy

Summer Lynne born 4-22-08    Holly and John married 10-28-07    Baby boy due June 2, 2010

maxensmom
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 6:47 PM

i'm thinking about having mine removed too. my sex drive has completely disappeared. here's a bump for you!

Rileyscute
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 6:51 PM

I had the Norplant removed eons ago..and in that case I had 6 rods not 1. It was pretty yucky and painful. The rods had calcified into my muscle. They had to basically pry them out. I was bruised from shoulder to wrist. I think it depends on the length of time you have had it...but it surely cannot be as bad because there's one..atleast that's the answer I'm going with :)

dorojas
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Quoting Rileyscute:

I had the Norplant removed eons ago..and in that case I had 6 rods not 1. It was pretty yucky and painful. The rods had calcified into my muscle. They had to basically pry them out. I was bruised from shoulder to wrist. I think it depends on the length of time you have had it...but it surely cannot be as bad because there's one..atleast that's the answer I'm going with :)

ooh that sounds bad. i hope nothing weird happened w/ mine. it's been in 1 1/2 yrs.

dorojas
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Quoting mommyziegler:

i asked my ob gyn if she would give that to me after i had my daughter and she refused to because she said it is a very dangerous birth control and not safe. But good luck with getting it taken out!!

i had the same concern but my dr. said the gyn clinic at our hospital goes through specific trainings for it. if they aren't certified they can't place or remove it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)