• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

smoking and breastfeeding...

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 6:50 PM
  • 10 Replies

I had posted  in a different post regarding trying to start nursing again...my daughter is a month old. My new question is...I smoke about 3-5 cigs a day...is this going to affect us nursing?

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 6:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cmb121906
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Just smoke right after a feeding since it will be 2-4hrs before the next feeding. Smoking and BFing is better then not BFing.

GOBryan
by Gold Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:18 PM

You should really ask your doctor but I would suspect that anything, like smoking, you put in your body can be a detriment to the child. There was a girl who did meth or some type of drug, she breastfed, causing the infant to overdose and die.  Don't know the specific but it was on the news about a year ago.

I bottlefed all of my kids because I was always low in iron and formula is well balanced. I'm sure both have it's pros and cons. It's more of a personal preference really.

tginn20
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:33 PM

Quoting GOBryan:

You should really ask your doctor but I would suspect that anything, like smoking, you put in your body can be a detriment to the child. There was a girl who did meth or some type of drug, she breastfed, causing the infant to overdose and die.  Don't know the specific but it was on the news about a year ago.

I bottlefed all of my kids because I was always low in iron and formula is well balanced. I'm sure both have it's pros and cons. It's more of a personal preference really.

Meth and tobacco are two completely different things...I am waiting for a lactation consultant to call me back. I was just trying to get info bc I am trying to nurse while waiting for her to call back.

luvjulie
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:24 PM

According to the American Academy of Pediatrics smoking is NOT  contraindicated...especially done right after a feed.

Amphetimines ARE contraindicated in breastfeeding.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:26 PM

It's not ideal, but the risks of smoking while breastfeeding are definitely far more minimal than formula feeding.

Any health professional or organization will tell you that. Just change your clothing and wash your hands after smoking.

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

GOBryan
by Gold Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:30 PM

Quoting tginn20:

Quoting GOBryan:

Meth and tobacco are two completely different things...I am waiting for a lactation consultant to call me back. I was just trying to get info bc I am trying to nurse while waiting for her to call back.

Yes, of course but it's still a toxin going through the body, albeit not as bad as Meth by any means.

Huntersmommy113
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:06 PM

I smoked 5 cigarettes a day when I was breastfeeding.  Just make sure your smoking after feedings.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:32 PM

Quoting GOBryan:

Quoting tginn20:

Quoting GOBryan:

Yes, of course but it's still a toxin going through the body, albeit not as bad as Meth by any means.

Formula contains all sorts of toxins from processing, packaging... even from the milk used. Dairy cows are pumped full of antibiotics, hormones an steroids. All of those veterinary medications end up in the formula.

At least if you smoke while breastfeeding, your baby is getting the benefits that breastmilk offers, such as protection against infection (respiratory etc.) and other immunities they may need. Formula is lacking several key components, which is why any good doctor will tell you that breastfeeding while smoking is still WAY safer than formula feeding.

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

GOBryan
by Gold Member on Dec. 15, 2009 at 3:54 PM

Quoting Randi02:

toxins from processing, packaging... even from the milk used. Dairy cows are pumped full of antibiotics, hormones an steroids. All of those veterinary medications end up in the formula.

At least if you smoke while breastfeeding, your baby is getting the benefits that breastmilk offers, such as protection against infection (respiratory etc.) and other immunities they may need. Formula is lacking several key components, which is why any good doctor will tell you that breastfeeding while smoking is still WAY safer than formula feeding.

Well that's good to know. Luckily, this factory is closed. lol. I hated breastfeeding though. I had to do it for a few weeks with my preemie and just hated pumping the milk but for those who can tolerate it, kudos!!

klespeedy0205
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 7:01 PM

Quoting GOBryan:

Quoting Randi02:

toxins from processing, packaging... even from the milk used. Dairy cows are pumped full of antibiotics, hormones an steroids. All of those veterinary medications end up in the formula.

Well that's good to know. Luckily, this factory is closed. lol. I hated breastfeeding though. I had to do it for a few weeks with my preemie and just hated pumping the milk but for those who can tolerate it, kudos!!

Please dont get her started on BF and how bad formula is blah blah blah.  Every post I read she has something to say about it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)