Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just looking for some opinions ladies...

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:33 PM
  • 4 Replies

Between Thanksgiving and Christmas, my local newspaper runs "Empty Stocking Fund" stories and then people donate items, money or services to the people in the stories(names are changed in them) Well i'm going to post one of them here because people on the new paper's website completely tore this girl apart!  At least she's working, and she didn't even ask for toys for her kids, just warm clothes....and help with her gas bill and getting her car fixed...

Empty Stocking: Hard work no guarantee of success

Comments 10 | Recommended 2

November 30, 2009 7:04 PM
Published Dec. 1, 2009

LIMA - There is a perception that people in need would be fine if they would just work harder. Debbie defies that perception.

Debbie (not her real name) works. Every night she leaves her home and three children to go to her third-shift job at a local store where she spends the evening stocking shelves and taking stock.

"I do it every night. I stock shelves all night then come home in the morning, get the kids ready for school, and go back again that night. It's work," Debbie said.

With three kids, ages 6, 3 and 2, the money she makes from her job doesn't go far. Her fiancé helps out where he can, but a heart condition makes it all but impossible for him to find a good job.

"They say he can do a job, but because of his heart he can only stand two hours a shift then has to sit the rest of the time," Debbie said. "If a job like that exists, I want it."

Debbie admits she's not exactly certain how things got they way they are. A few years ago she was a young woman enrolled in classes to become a medical assistant. Then she got pregnant with her first child and had to drop out. Six years and three kids later, she finds herself with a bad job and no foreseeable way out. The loans from that first shot at school have gone in default and she can't get more loans until they are paid off. That bill is in line behind a shutoff notice from the gas company, a car that needs repaired, and a lineup of debt and need that has her overwhelmed.

"I don't even know where to start. Any help I can get, really, it would be great. It's just everything,' she said.

Debbie's first priority is that gas bill. She's hoping to come up with $400 to get that paid before the winter weather hits. After that, there are things the children need. Her eldest has no warm clothes for winter. Her youngest two need clothes and more. At this point, the idea of Christmas gifts isn't even on her mind. Debbie just wants to take care of the basics.

"It's a lot harder than I ever thought it would be," Debbie said. "My kids deserve more than what I can give them. That's hard to say."

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
robe739
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:44 PM

That story made me tear up!  So sad for that mommy!  She will be in my thoughts & prayers this Holiday season!

krissybear2003
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:47 PM

see that was my response to it!  and these people on the website were just ripping her apart like I said...talking about how she's not married, and she didn't have to quit school, and lemme tell you from experience, when I had my oldest, I had to, it was pay the bills or go to school

Quoting robe739:

That story made me tear up!  So sad for that mommy!  She will be in my thoughts & prayers this Holiday season!

Daynaof3
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:48 PM

Quoting krissybear2003:

see that was my response to it!  and these people on the website were just ripping her apart like I said...talking about how she's not married, and she didn't have to quit school, and lemme tell you from experience, when I had my oldest, I had to, it was pay the bills or go to school

Quoting robe739:

People can say whatever they want but until they have walked a mile in her shoes they will have no idea! I don't know why some people feel the need to try to tear someone down who is already having a hard time. They are hard hearted people who seem to think that hard work is all it takes to survive. Well that's just not the case, some people work their fingers to the bone and never get ahead(and sadly it's probably for the jerks that made those comments). If people were willing to give just a little to others what a difference it would make. I really don't see what being married has to do with anything?!

BaileynMe
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 12:11 AM

Everyone makes mistakes, and she isn't the first or last one. That said, there's no reason for the community to rip her apart. 

Join us onAdvice for Moms - - Group Mod

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)