Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

NEED EMERGENCY help with cooking a ham!!

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:48 PM
  • 9 Replies

Ok, so i bought a Cumberland ham today-on sale for .77 a lb.  I've never cooked a ham.  do i just throw it in the oven or use a cooking and what could i throw in there with it to maybe help with flavor.

Thanks so much!!!

Heather

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
La-Belle-Vie
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:54 PM

Is it a pre cooked ham or is it raw?

How big is it (weight)?

kmsgalloway
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:57 PM

15 minutes time each pound if its raw on 350. Cook basically the same way you would cook a turkey. I melt some brown sugar and orange juice together and poke holes in the ham before pour it over the ham. Put a little water or chicken broth in the bottom of pan so it doesn't stick.

HarleysMommy235
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:57 PM

My husband cooks ham wrapped in foil and pours coca cola over it before he seals it up. Sounds nasty, but it tastes yummy and you can't in anyway screw that up, unless you burn it.

Biancas_mommy
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:59 PM

I put some pinapples slice and cherries and sprinkle a little brown sugar on it...and cook it 15 minutes per pound and use the juice that comes in the can to pour in the bottom with a little water!

ediswife
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:07 PM

hey! hopefully this will help alittle. i own a business and we bake hams and turkeys for ppl all the time. We use bnless tavern hams...im not sure how similar that is the the ham u bought. We normally cut the ham in half then lay both halves in a pan (putting each half face down where you cut it). then add about 1/2 to 1 inch of water so it will not dry out (this will also give u broth!). There are 3 ways you could season it (again rem this is a tavern ham and i dont knowif the flavor is similar to ur ham). 1st you can use a ham glaze, it is in a jar w/ a gold cap and the glaze itself is red. 2nd you can take crushed pineapple and cover the outside of the ham. 3rd you can use pineapple rings and cherries. if your ham is flavored like a tavern ham many ppl dont put anything on it b/c the flavor of the ham alone is so good. good luck and hope this helps some!ok now that i typed all that out i decided to google it lol and found out a tavern ham is nothing like a cumberland ham lol. so now u know how to bake a tavern ham lol. heres the link to where i found out how to cook a cumberland ham http://www.richardwoodall.com/how-do-i-cook-my-cumberland-ham ! good luck  britt

tiriedmom
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:09 PM

Sorry girls,

The ham is about 12 lbs and i believe its already precooked. lol i'll have to chk.

Thanks!!!

lovinmyboys...
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:16 PM

All you really need to do is put it in a roasting pan with a couple cups of water and put either the lid or tin foil over it and bake it.  It will come out YUMMY all on it's own with nothing else added.  It doesn't need to be complicated.

CafeMom Tickerssanta blue

poptart106
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 9:52 AM

The BEST ham is in the crock pot.  I have always put it in the oven but one day I decided to put it in the crock pot.  That is the way I have done it from that day on.  It is so moist and delicious.  And you actually use more meat because it comes off the bone easier.  Just add a little bit of water on the bottom and prepare the ham anyway you want; such as, score it and put pineapple slices on top or score it and put honey mustard on top or whatever.  If the ham is a little too big just cut it to fit and stick the pieces around it. 

ashleymarie55
by on Dec. 16, 2009 at 1:44 AM

This is the easiest  YUMMIEST ham glaze EVER!!! I made the hame for Thanksgiving at my sister in laws familys house, and they have called and asked if I could do it again for Christmas they LOVED IT!!

all you need is One bag of brown sugar, one large can crushed pinapple, and one Tablespoon mustard. mix all three together. Score the ham (if its pre sliced then do not do anything to it) pour the whole batch of glaze over the ham, and bake on 350 for about an hour and a half. While baking keep coating the ham with the glaze, use a turky bastor or a spoon. It is soo yummy it almost carmalizes the ham ohh its the best and it is soo so easy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)