Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

law about opposite sex siblings sharing a room?

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2009 at 6:08 PM
  • 22 Replies

I heard that there is a law that opposite sex siblings cant share a room after a certain age. has anyone heard of this? I tried looking it up but i couldn't find anything. I live in Connecticut if that helps at all.

by on Dec. 30, 2009 at 6:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CariO.
by on Dec. 30, 2009 at 6:09 PM

Never heard that before!  Strange if it's true.

URMySunshine07
by on Dec. 30, 2009 at 6:12 PM

True in Texas...

happy new year 2010Sunshine's Mom

Jenn8604
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2009 at 6:16 PM

I can tell you this. IF you are in IL and in public housing of any kind you have to have a different room for your boy and girl. Is it a law? IDK? maybe.  When I used to baby-sit and the oldest started kindergarten, something was said about him sharing a room wiht his sister and he couldnt any more. From what I gathered it wasnt the parents but the school or something saying it, Cuz then they had to move. 

Join me at Working mommies who would LOVE to stay at home, but HAVE to work. A group for all of you working moms.

Mom4Fish
by Member on Dec. 30, 2009 at 6:17 PM

It is true as far as I know but not enforced (like many other things) unless for some reason Child Protective Service is involved (and even then not enforced well) I know people being held to the law (foster parents) and some involved in nasty divorces (trying to stick it to eachother) Its a law people decide to follow and enforce cuz they are having a bad day. Its so they dont see eachothers parts

Mom4fish~Monicain love  

toddler girl  baby girl

mysteriousmom06
by on Dec. 30, 2009 at 6:20 PM

I know after DH & I got married & were going thru the process for him to adopted our older 2, they shared a room. We had to have a case worked do a home visit & she never said anything about it. They were 4 & 5 at the time.

abstractmommy
by on Dec. 31, 2009 at 8:55 AM

This...I know it's true in Virginia. In a custody battle and whatnot you have to have a separate room for siblings of different genders, and even same sex siblings if there is a certain age gap between them(not sure what it is).

Quoting Mom4Fish:

It is true as far as I know but not enforced (like many other things) unless for some reason Child Protective Service is involved (and even then not enforced well) I know people being held to the law (foster parents) and some involved in nasty divorces (trying to stick it to eachother) Its a law people decide to follow and enforce cuz they are having a bad day. Its so they dont see eachothers parts

recey2007
by on Dec. 31, 2009 at 8:57 AM

True in Oregon and they are good about it here! if CSD gets wind that someone was letting 2 children (boy, girl) share a room after i think 6 the kids would be taken out of the home seen it a few times

Kesstan
by on Dec. 31, 2009 at 8:59 AM

I think it might be one of those unspoken rules/laws that really don't get brought up unless the state or law gets involved w/ the family for some reason. (Im in NH)
dd and ds are 5 1/2 and 7.  they had to share a room last year....but my had mentioned to me that she thought the "cut off" was like 8 years old or something.
But I know ALOT of people that live in 2 bedroom apartments w/ 2 or 3 kids....and they share rooms----there was nothing on your states website? I didnt look at NH's.

Kesstan
Proud Mommy of:
Joslyn Pearl
Justin Emery
Shiloh Isabella

ColtonKeatonMom
by on Dec. 31, 2009 at 9:02 AM

My niece and nephew share a room. They have to. My brother and SIL's room isn't big enough for one of them to sleep in there and they only have one other bedroom. I dunno if there is a law against it, but there isn't anything else they can do.

Kesstan
by on Dec. 31, 2009 at 9:06 AM

everything I have found online (for all states) shows that it's NOT illegal for any siblings, regardless of gender/age, to share a room.  hope that helps

Kesstan
Proud Mommy of:
Joslyn Pearl
Justin Emery
Shiloh Isabella

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)