Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

sick lil boy please help asap update in blue

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:50 AM
  • 11 Replies

ok my  2 1/2 yr old has had a temp since thur its been around 101  and i give him med and it goes down for a little bit just now it was 101.6 he is crying and whying he has a very wet cough i cant get him in at my dr because i dont got a copy of medicade card(lost in mail) should i take him to the er they can look my stuuf up in the computer ok i took him and he has a double ear infaction and a bad upper respertory infection

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lvnmysldr
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:56 AM

I would go ahead and take him in to the ER.  It sounds like he may have an infection and need antibiotics.  Good luck and I hope he feels better soon!

mrsmoore02
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:58 AM

Believe it or not, 101.6 isn't that high of a fever in young kids.  Since it's reacting to the medicine, there's no reason to take him.  You can alternate Tylenol and Motrin every 3 hours (give Tylenol and then 3 hours later give Motrin. 3 hours after the Motrin, give Tylenol) to keep it down.  If he's coughing while he's lying down, prop him up with pillows and that will help.

MumsTheWord571
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:58 AM

ditto.

Quoting lvnmysldr:

I would go ahead and take him in to the ER.  It sounds like he may have an infection and need antibiotics.  Good luck and I hope he feels better soon!

mommycooper24
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:01 AM

thank you mommas thats what i thought i just wanted to be sure before i drove all the way there   he is normaly very active he is only like this when somethigss wrong

lilydoyle
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:06 AM

i just hate it when my babies are sick! if i were you, with a temperature over 100, i'd take him to the hospital where he was born at. they're sure to have his information. with the weather being how it is, a cold could develope into pnemonia very quickly.

CafeMom Tickers
swizzlefiz
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:09 AM

We always practice "better safe than sorry".  Our ER copay is $200 and that sucks, but I'd rather pay that 10Xs and everyone be okay than skip the 1 time that was life or death and we weren't sure.

ThinkTwice08
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:25 AM

I'd run a humidifier for him, start Vit. D3 drops supplimentation as well as echinacia drops. If he is fighting something off the fever is what is going to help him do it. Below is info on fevers. Hope it helps to calm your nerves on the matter.

FEVER is a NORMAL and critical part of the process of getting over an illness. It is normal for a child to have a fever of 103 to even 105 depending on the illness. Different viruses require different temperatures to be killed off.  Giving Tylenol and Motrin will only SLOW the process.  (and they can have negative effect on the liver and kidneys over time.) 

Just try to keep your little one as comfy as possible, relax, and wait it out. It will get better.  Only seek medical attention if your child has significant change in eating/drinking or becomes very lethargic or LOOKS severely ill. The notion that a prolonged fever can cause 'brain damage' is an old wives tale. The body has a built in mechanism that won't allow your body tempt to go over 105 9-unless there is blood poisoning or heat stroke). (google 'the benefits of fever"- to calm your worries on the matter.) 

I hope your baby is feeling better soon! :)

ps. A wonderful book to help you know what you can do at home to help your child through typical illness and when a doctor's visit is "warranted"...."How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of your Doctor" by Robert Medelsohn MD (pediatrics)

A Febrile seizure is NOT caused by the fever itself...it is caused by an extremely RAPID RISE in the infants temp. Typically a fast enough rise that the parent wouldn't even have realized the temp had risen already.

The child either would have had a seizer during the rise, or wouldn't have. Either way the seizure does NOT harm the child OR cause brain damage...it is merely unpleasant for the child and parent to have to experience.

Christian- Libertarian, NON-vaxing, Natural child birthing, Breastfeeding, Non-circumsizing, Earth- friendly, mom of  One Happy, Healthy baby boy! big smile mini

"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who could not hear the music." -Angela Monet

maidenmouse
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:32 AM

Quoting ThinkTwice08:

I'd run a humidifier for him, start Vit. D3 drops supplimentation as well as echinacia drops. If he is fighting something off the fever is what is going to help him do it. Below is info on fevers. Hope it helps to calm your nerves on the matter.

FEVER is a NORMAL and critical part of the process of getting over an illness. It is normal for a child to have a fever of 103 to even 105 depending on the illness. Different viruses require different temperatures to be killed off.  Giving Tylenol and Motrin will only SLOW the process.  (and they can have negative effect on the liver and kidneys over time.) 

Just try to keep your little one as comfy as possible, relax, and wait it out. It will get better.  Only seek medical attention if your child has significant change in eating/drinking or becomes very lethargic or LOOKS severely ill. The notion that a prolonged fever can cause 'brain damage' is an old wives tale. The body has a built in mechanism that won't allow your body tempt to go over 105 9-unless there is blood poisoning or heat stroke). (google 'the benefits of fever"- to calm your worries on the matter.) 

I hope your baby is feeling better soon! :)

ps. A wonderful book to help you know what you can do at home to help your child through typical illness and when a doctor's visit is "warranted"...."How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of your Doctor" by Robert Medelsohn MD (pediatrics)

A Febrile seizure is NOT caused by the fever itself...it is caused by an extremely RAPID RISE in the infants temp. Typically a fast enough rise that the parent wouldn't even have realized the temp had risen already.

The child either would have had a seizer during the rise, or wouldn't have. Either way the seizure does NOT harm the child OR cause brain damage...it is merely unpleasant for the child and parent to have to experience.

I am sorry I am not bashing you but if I followed these directions my son would be dead!!!!

TO OP MAMA'S ARE ALWAYS RIGHT IF YOU THINK THE ER IS WHERE YOUR KIDDO BELONGS GO THERE!! I SAVED MY SON BY BEING PERSISTANT.

Proud mom of a hero battling cancer. Also a proud mom of my older kids that have been so tolerant of this life changing experience. www.caringbridge.org/visit/chunn Yesterday is history, tommorow is a mystery, today is a gift that is why we call it the present. 

maidenmouse
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:49 AM

GOOD CHOICE MOM IS ALWAYS RIGHT!!!

Proud mom of a hero battling cancer. Also a proud mom of my older kids that have been so tolerant of this life changing experience. www.caringbridge.org/visit/chunn Yesterday is history, tommorow is a mystery, today is a gift that is why we call it the present. 

MumsTheWord571
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:12 PM

por little guy! Make sure to give him ALL of the antibiotics and not to stop because he seems better. Tylenol for the pain and in about 24 hours his hears should stop hurting so badly. Avoid getting water in his ears until then (if that means no bath- so be it, rather a slightly dirty baby than one in a lot of pain!)

I hope he feels better soon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)