Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sex after baby

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:10 AM
  • 11 Replies

Ok I have two questions.

1. I KNOW breastfeeding is NOT a form of birth control and I am not asking this because I'm BFing and think I wont get pregnant. I'm asking out of pure curiosity. Why do so many women think that BFing prevents pregnancy? Does it mess with ovulation or what?
  2. How long after having your baby did you wait before having sex? I had my baby Dec. 22nd, no stiches, no tearing, and my bleeding has stopped. Is there any reason why I can't/shouldn't have sex with SO (other then I'm very fertile)?

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jcsmummy
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:16 AM

1. i have no idea. i didn't have a period until my son weaned, but i wasn't naive enough to think that i couldn't get pregnant. you never know when your cycle is going to start again.

2. after my son, i had no tearing or any of that junk. we were back in the saddle when baby boy was 12 days old.  

2ndTymeMommy
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:17 AM

I'm not quite sure why either, but a Lactation Consultant said the same thing.  I'd ask around.  I believe she said it messes with your menstural cycle if breastfeeding round the clock.

I waited about 2 months after...I could've started at 6 weeks after, but it was just too painful...felt like I was being ripped apart.  Doc had to prescribe a special lubricant for us---it's the only reason we started having sex again after our first born.

pageantgirl3
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:20 AM

As soon as 4 weeks came around, we were back at it. Not really TTC but not stopping it either. My son was 2 1/2 months old when I conceived Bellanova. Yeah, BF doesn't prevent but its an old wives tale so of course people will say it does prevent.

Heather: We have a great informational call on how to lose weight on January 10th. PM me if you are interested.
Married/got engaged to your S/O less than a year after you started dating? click here!

in lovetoddler boybaby girl

pageantgirl3
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:22 AM

Oh and just make sure he's clean cause you are at a higher risk for infections.

Heather: We have a great informational call on how to lose weight on January 10th. PM me if you are interested.
Married/got engaged to your S/O less than a year after you started dating? click here!

in lovetoddler boybaby girl

no-drama-momma
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:26 AM

Quoting miss_hughes:

Ok I have two questions.

1. I KNOW breastfeeding is NOT a form of birth control and I am not asking this because I'm BFing and think I wont get pregnant. I'm asking out of pure curiosity. Why do so many women think that BFing prevents pregnancy? Does it mess with ovulation or what? No clue on that...I have never been able to BF due to medical reasons...
  2. How long after having your baby did you wait before having sex? I had my baby Dec. 22nd, no stiches, no tearing, and my bleeding has stopped. Is there any reason why I can't/shouldn't have sex with SO (other then I'm very fertile)? With my vag birth, it was horrible, so we waited even longer than the 6 weeks...I could still barely walk after 6 weeks and was still bleeding.... With my emergency c-section, we waited the whole 6 weeks just to be safe, with my repeat c-section (just this past September), we waited 2 weeks I think...when the bleeding stopped (I had no pain with either c-section so that was never an issue)...BUT, USE PROTECTION!!!  Not only are you very fertile, but also very apt to get an infection--if you husband or significant other uses a condomn, then their ejaculation will not get inside you, thus NOT causing a horrible infection....u are still 'raw' inside, so very apt for infection....Just take it slow and have fun!!  And congrats on your new little one!!!

COME CHECK OUT MY GROUP! 
Anything and everything...EXCEPT disrespect

http://www.cafemom.com/group/105212  
                                          happy new year 2010

miss_hughes
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:36 AM

Quoting no-drama-momma:

Quoting miss_hughes:

Ok I have two questions.

1. I KNOW breastfeeding is NOT a form of birth control and I am not asking this because I'm BFing and think I wont get pregnant. I'm asking out of pure curiosity. Why do so many women think that BFing prevents pregnancy? Does it mess with ovulation or what? No clue on that...I have never been able to BF due to medical reasons...
  2. How long after having your baby did you wait before having sex? I had my baby Dec. 22nd, no stiches, no tearing, and my bleeding has stopped. Is there any reason why I can't/shouldn't have sex with SO (other then I'm very fertile)? With my vag birth, it was horrible, so we waited even longer than the 6 weeks...I could still barely walk after 6 weeks and was still bleeding.... With my emergency c-section, we waited the whole 6 weeks just to be safe, with my repeat c-section (just this past September), we waited 2 weeks I think...when the bleeding stopped (I had no pain with either c-section so that was never an issue)...BUT, USE PROTECTION!!!  Most deffinately!! Haha i'm not wanting another little one just yet!!! Not only are you very fertile, but also very apt to get an infection--if you husband or significant other uses a condomn, then their ejaculation will not get inside you, thus NOT causing a horrible infection....u are still 'raw' inside, so very apt for infection....Just take it slow and have fun!!  And congrats on your new little one!!! Thanks!

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
natalies_mama
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:45 AM

no idea about #1, but my baby is 6 mo & we just *tried* to have sex 2 nights ago... i had 4 stitches & sex SUCKS right now!  soooo painful :/

BellazBabyMomma
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:56 AM

Ok i had a tough delivery with my baby girl but we tried sex about 4 weeks in it was painful so we stopped. It was painful for a couple of months after not really bad just uncomfortable.

The Loves of my Life

CafeMom Tickers

stacy2607
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:06 AM

When you are breastfeeding, your body’s production of the hormone prolactin is higher. Prolactin is a hormone that suppresses ovulation and as such, reduces your probability of pregnancy while breastfeeding to around 1 to 2 percent. During the first year, the percentage increases, and after about six months, the chance of conception stands at about 6 per cent.

and doctors say to wait 6 weeks because of infection..but i didnt wait 6 weeks..i gave birth to our 7th child a baby girl on Srptember 21st and we had sex for the first time 3 1/2 weeks later..there are alot of woman that dont wait the 6 weeks..i say go ahead and try when you feel coomfortable..but like another mama said make sure he is really clean cause of risk of infection..maybe have him shower before.

lilkgfan
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:13 AM

From what I understand breastfeeding can prevent ovulation if you do it around the clock and don't use pacifiers or bottles.

Dh and I had sex 4 weeks postpartum (I had two small tears) and he went slow and it didn't hurt at all.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)