Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help me word this...

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:25 AM
  • 10 Replies

I am horrible at expressing myself with words. I need your help.

I am throwing my kids a joint birthday party at our home on Feb. 6th. Alex will be 5 and Aubry will be 4.

I want to throw a Green/Sustainable party for them. It is going to be held at our house and since it is so close to Christmas, they don't need anymore toys. I am sending evites out and want to put a note in it about having a "green birthday" and that I would prefer they not buy toys but maybe donate to a charity instead or not bring a gift at all...something like that.

What do you ladies think? Any suggestions on how to word it.

"An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a
church. An Atheist believes that deed must be done instead of a prayer
said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into
death. He wants disease conquered, poverty vanished, war eliminated."

- Justin Brown

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maidenmouse
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:27 AM

big hearts are beautiful!!! I love the idea. I am not good at wording things so here is a bump for that.

Proud mom of a hero battling cancer. Also a proud mom of my older kids that have been so tolerant of this life changing experience. www.caringbridge.org/visit/chunn Yesterday is history, tommorow is a mystery, today is a gift that is why we call it the present. 

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:55 AM

bump

- Justin Brown

nmjordan
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:05 AM

How about: "In lieu of gifts, please make a donation to a charity of your choice".

OR

"Gifts politely declined, but please make a donation to a charity of your choice on behalf of Alex and Aubry if you'd like!"

~ Nicole ~
Mom to Brandon, 
6-25-06
Proud Navy Wife

Eyes4music
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:16 AM

We would love for you to come and celebrate our special day with us and since we are so blessed and would love to be a little "Greener" this year, instead of buying us a gift we would love it if you would donate that money to a charity.  This is what we want most for our birthday this year.  Thank you for Helping us be a little bit greener this year. 

Love

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:55 PM

All great! Thanks.

- Justin Brown

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:13 PM

I like the one someone already wrote. It sounds really nice. You could also donate toys to a local childrens hospital or something like that, that way the girls can drop them off and partake in it. Or you could write: We would like to thank everyone in advance for coming to celebrate Alex and Aubry's birthday with them. Since they already have so many toys we are asking everyone to make a charitable contribution on their behalf.  If you would rather but a gift they will be donating all toys to the local children's hospital for those less fortynate than them.  I think it's wonderful what you're doing.  It's a wonderful thing to teach your kids.  

JoyIsAnAttitude
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:22 PM

All good ideas.  But how about you use it as part of something you do with your kids.  Like ask for donations for a local animal shelter, then you can take your kids (maybe invite others to join you) and deliver the items.  Call whatever organization you pick and see what they are in need of (dog food, blankets, etc...).  That way the kids get to participate in the "gift of giving".

When someone askes me to just donate, I worry about how much or if anything actually goes to the need.  This way you and all your friends know they helped!

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Quoting JoyIsAnAttitude:

All good ideas.  But how about you use it as part of something you do with your kids.  Like ask for donations for a local animal shelter, then you can take your kids (maybe invite others to join you) and deliver the items.  Call whatever organization you pick and see what they are in need of (dog food, blankets, etc...).  That way the kids get to participate in the "gift of giving".

When someone askes me to just donate, I worry about how much or if anything actually goes to the need.  This way you and all your friends know they helped!

That is a great idea. Thanks. =D

- Justin Brown

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 4, 2010 at 8:30 AM

Quoting JoyIsAnAttitude:

This is a great idea. The children will actually see what is being donated.

Join us onAdvice for Moms - - Group Mod

PrydferthMenyw
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 8:37 AM

Quoting Bmat:

Quoting JoyIsAnAttitude:

This is a great idea. The children will actually see what is being donated.

I agree....this is cool!  You can decorate a box near the front door for them to place their donations in so they can get right on to the party.  Have fun!

Join us onAdvice for Moms ~ Group Mod

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)