Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help...Having trouble at work with Employee... *UPDATE* 1/7/10

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:47 AM
  • 23 Replies

So, I have a manager who is very bullying towards us associates. We work for small bridal shop, there are times where she forces me to take lunch breaks when I just started my shift. today she told the other associate that my "BiPolar is kicking in" and that is why I was upset. That isn't funny. to make fun of my medical conditions the way that she did.

I never did anything to her. I simply stated that I would take my lunch as soon as the next associate came in for her shift. Since we were very busy, and I was in the middle of helping a customer. I did call the owners and they told me I was ok to take it later. Manager blew up at me and told me to take my break when "she" says or she will write me up. The work environment has become hostile for all of us and we can't take it anymore. She changes our schedules without confirming with owners. She looks at our paystubs and questions our taxes, and now bullying us and making fun of a medical conditions, I feel discriminated in a way. 

the owners said they will come down to the store in a couple of days to sit down and speak with her. I told them there needs to be some changes to this matter.  Or else, we have no choice but to file a complaint...which will get ugly. 

What do you think of this? Is it right to go to work feeling miserable and worried about what someone is going to say about you, this is a job...not high school.

*Update*So I went in yesterday and the first thing I see is my Boss and the manager. She acted completely normal, all nice and what not. For me, it was a total front. They showed me the new time clock system that they put in and then she smiled and send goodbye. the owner sent her to the other store for the day so that he could sit down and discuss the issues with me.  Now I did not hold anything back, i spoke up for myself and told him everything. He was recording everything down on paper. And some of the things I mentioned, he was not surprised because obviously it has happened before. And other issues he was a bit shocked. he explained his little "metaphors" to me trying to tell me how he sees things. And in the end of it all, he felt happy with how I was mature with the whole situation at hand. He had nothing negative to say about me. And of course he wouldn't either. There is nothing she could say to retaliate against me. So in a nut shell. He is going to talk with her once more, tell her whatever she has been doing that I have brought to his attention needs to stop. If he hears that theses situations repeat one more time, he will let her go. So, this is her last chance.  Now we all expected and hoped he would just fire her, wishful thinking. But you know, she has nobody on her side and I think with all this happening, she is going to be searching for a new job, since obviously  her co-workers don't want her here. So I am going to sit back and watch her destroy herself, when it happens I will be ready to file my complaint. SO THE BALL IS IN MY COURT AND I AM WINNING....we will see what happens in the next episode of this Soap Opera.....To Be Continued ladies.

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:08 AM

I would have filed a complaint with the owners as well.  There is no reason to be that way with your staff whether or not they have a medical condition.   I had issues with a manager of mine and i have depression.  I was lucky enough to have friends within the shift so they would get her attention off me so i could do my job.

lbdm2002
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:38 AM

Yeah..I definitely would have gotten the owners involved too.  It makes the entire shop look bad when an employee is acting out like that.  As far as lunches go...check your state law as far as breaks go...when I used to work retail, if we were working an 8 hour shift, they could make us take lunch no sooner than 3 hours after we got there...which still sucked because when you come in at 5am, who wants to take 'lunch' at 8...or when you come in at 7..who wants to go at 10..ya know? 

I would write things down and have specific examples for the owners, that way when they are talking to the employee, they will be able to give HER examples, and not just give random complaints. 

Good luck..I would LOVE to work at a bridal shop!!

MichelleJ1000
by Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:42 AM

Sounds like someone is on a power trip.  What she is doing is way wrong and definitely keep a written log of everything for the owners. 

Good luck.

nmjordan
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:09 AM

My mom had a boss like that once... she lost it one day and just quit in the middle of her shift, which looks bad.

It sounds like everyone there is having to work in a battlezone so to say and something needs to be done about it. I hope the owners set her straight.

BTW I am bipolar too so I'd be very offended!!!

~ Nicole ~
Mom to Brandon, 
6-25-06
Proud Navy Wife

Trinity12.06.08
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:15 AM

I say take it a step further. She is opening up your paychecks and looking at them? Call the police on her ass. Opening up someone else's mail is a federal offense. That should teach her.

Still take it up with the owners though. Let them know everything going on. Tell them that you are all ready to quit because none of you can take her crap anymore. I don't think they are going to want everyone quitting due to one person. Good luck!

nessy1980
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:17 AM

The only thing you can do is get the owners involved. Im not sure where you live but in Nevada an employer can do anything to do except discriminate against you. Ive had horrible boss' too. I had one tell me if she I was pregnant I wouldnt of gotten hired but beware the psycho might retaliate against you. 

allforthelove
by Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:21 AM

the last time i checked talking about someones "disability " is a violation of athe americans with disabilities act.  dont let this go..........it will only get worse and is definatly a discriminatory act.  keep a record and let the owner know you will sue if they dont do something about it.  as for breaks..........check the laws where you are  i  dont think it is leagle to do what she is doing.........this manager is setting the shop up to be sued!!

mamacifuni
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:23 AM

technically saying anything about your condition is discrimination and harrassment (creating a hostile work environment) and that is illegal.  I would alert the Americans with Disabilities people for your state (most of them cover mental illness).  The owners could be fined as well as the manager.  Also your company should have a harrassment policy and it would be good to look into the steps that they have outlined for taking action against the harrasser.

baby
Gender PredictionGet your own gender prediction!
nmjordan
by on Jan. 5, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Any more updates? I hope they fired the biotch!

~ Nicole ~
Mom to Brandon, 
6-25-06
Proud Navy Wife

SweetNeveah
by on Jan. 5, 2010 at 5:42 PM

* UPDATE*

I am off today but the Owners are in town. And my co-worker is working today with her. She is going to call me later to let me know if anything happened. As for me, I go in tomorrow and am planning to have a "Serious" conversation with the owners.  The two co-workers who are also having problems with her, talked yesterday and are hoping that she is fired, they have been here the longest and never stepped it up.All we can do is hope and pray that the Owners have a spine and not let her get away with this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)