Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby Tummy Troubles

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:59 AM
  • 2 Replies

My daughter seemed to be eating extremely slow and seemed to struggle finishing a bottle due to falling asleep.  It was almost like the effort of sucking tired her out.  My MIL suggested a faster flow nipple and while she is eating better I think it is way too fast.  She spits up 10x more than before and she has been pooping twice as much and to the point where she has a irritated bottom.  I am going to switch back to the slower flow but I would like to hear any suggestions on how to make sure she is not getting too tired out by drinking and so she can stay on the schedule she is seeming to thrive on.

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:19 AM

How old is your baby? IDK, really, maybe baby really is tired. The older they get though, they do have higher stages of nipple. I EBF, so IDK, mama, sorry. BUMP.

JoyIsAnAttitude
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:30 AM

If she was doing well with weight and everything else I would not worry. It sounds like the higher flow is irritating her and I would switch back. 

It is common for young babies to "take breaks" when feeding and even fall asleep.  If you think she is getting tired of sucking, and not getting enough, you might want to try feedings after she wakes up.  Also, during feedings, you can always take that time to "burp" and /or change positions as if you were breast feeding to wake her up a bit and see if she will drink more.

Every baby is different.  The key is to make sure she is having wet/dirty diapers and gaining weight. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)