Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need help pls.....

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:08 AM
  • 13 Replies

I just can not sleep...I have taken several things ..nothing works...I cant go to docs cause I have no insurance...I have cleaned my house til it should shine like the sun...I may get 2 or 3 nights out of the week that I do sleep...any ideas? My hubby says hes gonna knock me out lol

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wife.and.mommy
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:16 AM

try a hot bath every night before you go to sleep, with a hot cup of a decaf tea.

do NOT watch TV and just try to ignore the world.

bugslife82
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:29 AM

Have you tried exercising? Workouts take a lot out of a person.  I know it helps helps me out.

stephaine

STEPHANIE---american flag ribbonPROUD ARMY MOMMY

MamaArtist77
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:49 AM

Exercise (not right before bed but sometime in the day).  Reading, meditation, hot bath.  Are you stressed about something?  Maybe there is some issue that has you stressed and your not dealing with?

AuntieV
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:52 AM

I have suffered with sleep problems for years. Here are some things that work for me.

• If you have a digital clock... watch the numbers click over while counting how many times you breathe between the numbers. Then between the next number change try to take less breaths than the last time. Continue to do this till you can get it down to three or four nice deep breaths per minute. Do not hold your breath. Remember nice slow deep breathing.
  • Find a really boring book to listen to at bed time. One with a  narratior with a slow calm voice is best. I prefer something with a southern voice. Do not change books even when you have heard the book start to finish. The story line is enough to block out the noise around you and the slow boring voice will put you to sleep.
  • If you catch yourself rehashing the day or ruminating about your troubles stop yourself and start thinking about laying by a stream listening to the water burbling, the birds chirping and how peacful the surroundings are. This works well with images/thoughts about drifting in a bout out in the middle of a calm lake letting the boat rock you to sleep.

PaigesMommy2010
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:07 AM

This last week I've been having the same problem. I tried baths, slow music, reading books, counting backwards...Nothing worked. Finally I begged my midwife for help and she told me to take benedril and it works...that stuff will make you sleep like a baby and you won't feel all groggy the next morning like you would with sleep aids....Plus, if your pregnant, it won't harm the baby like most sleep aids can. Goodluck! I hope you find something that works for you.

CafeMom Tickers
Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:37 AM

Quoting PaigesMommy2010:

This last week I've been having the same problem. I tried baths, slow music, reading books, counting backwards...Nothing worked. Finally I begged my midwife for help and she told me to take benedril and it works...that stuff will make you sleep like a baby and you won't feel all groggy the next morning like you would with sleep aids....Plus, if your pregnant, it won't harm the baby like most sleep aids can. Goodluck! I hope you find something that works for you.

Benedryl makes me jumpy. I even tried Tylenol PM and got the "Jimmy legs" so I can't use the usual sleep aids, myself. It may be that you lack a certain chemical in your body, triptophan maybe?, that puts people to sleep. Your doctor could prescribe it, I believe.

Join us onAdvice for Moms - - Group Mod

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:45 AM

Here is a relaxation exercise, it often works. I hope it works for you.

Lie comfortably in bed. Breathe in slowly, breathe out slowly, continue breathing slowly and normally. Focus your attention on your toes. Relax your toes. Tighten them, then relax them and feel the difference. Tighten and then relax the soles of your feet. The tops of your feet. The sides of your feet. Your ankles. Is the whole foot relaxed? Tighten and relax the front of your lower leg. The back of your lower leg, the sides. Is the lower leg relaxed? Are the feet still relaxed? Tighten and relax your knees, the back of your knees. Are your feet relaxed? The lower legs?  The knees? Continue to work up the body to the scalp. When you get to the head relax your tongue, between your eyes, your ears, your jaw, your cheeks. And so forth. Stop every so often and check that the rest of your body is still relaxed. Keep breathing steadily and slowly. As you exhale breathe out tension. As you inhale, breathe in soothing energy.

This will help focus your mind. If you find your attention slipping away, bring it back. It also, besides that it might put you to sleep,  has the benefit of relaxing your body, which will help you rest even if you don't get all the benefits of sleep, at least your body gets rest.

Kesstan
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:46 AM

I have this SAME problem, so I'll be watching this post for ideas!

Kesstan
Proud Mommy of:
Joslyn Pearl
Justin Emery
Shiloh Isabella

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:50 AM

One more thing, well actually two more things.  Some decaf coffees and teas have caffeine. Less that caf, but still some. Chocolate also has caffeine. So cut out all tea, coffee, chocolate. If you drink soda, drink only decaf. It may take several days or even a few weeks to rid your body of caffeine. Cut out spicy foods for supper. Sometimes a tylenol when I can't sleep helps get rid of some pain that I may not realize I have. You can also try an antacid, in case you have some reflux you aren't sure about. If you have a physical condition that might limit your intake of drugs, check with your doctor first, or at least study the packaging.

The reason I mentioned the chemical in the body that helps people sleep is that a friend of mind lacks the chemical or normal amounts of it, and he is sleep deprived. His doctor prescribed some and he is able to sleep now. I can't remember the name of it, but triptophan could be it.

onefootcutiepie
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Melatonin. They sell it near the vitamins. We used to use it for jet lag when we lived overseas and had to reverse our sleep schedules...only thing that ever worked to put us to sleep when we'd be up in the middle of the night. It's pretty safe too, we used it for the kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)