Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Food Allergies?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:58 AM
  • 2 Replies

I have a question for you mommies. I have a 6 month old little boy who we started on solids awhile ago. The other day while I was at work my DH gave him a small amount of Gerber baby juice (apple) undiluted. He has had pear and apple on one other occasion but both times they were very watered down. The problem is that when I got home from work that night Carter had (still does) have a prickly rash all over his body, Could it be an allergic reaction to the juice? or is it because it was given to him straight w/o watering it down? My DH feels terrible - he thought since it was baby juice he didn't have to dilute it and he feels like it is his fault. Looking back on the time he had the diluted apple juice he "may" have gotten some bumps on his cheek that i attributed to dry irritated skin. I know people can be allergic to any thing - apples just don't seem like the usual suspect. I am going to wait 7 days and again reintroduce the apples/or apple juice to him before bringing it up with my pediatrician (otherwise she will tell me to do it and visit her again in another week)  Any other suggestions or similar experiences??

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:21 AM

It absolutely could be a reaction, just wait a while before trying it again.

TonyaLea
by on Jan. 5, 2010 at 11:24 PM

I could be.  It might just be a sensitivity to it though, some babies are prone to diaper rashes when eating applesauce, I think they are more acidic than you would think.  My daughter is allergic to citris though, and she gets little red spots on her neck, back, and abdomen if she has it, in addition to a bad diaper rash.

Group Owner: Cooking for Toddlers
Group Owner: Baby Food Basics - Cooking for Baby
Group Admin: Frugal & Thrifty Moms (Weekly Menu Planner)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)