Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

cloth or disposible...I need to hear from people who've used either...

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:54 AM
  • 32 Replies

Poll

Question: Cloth or disposible?

Options:

Cloth

Disposible

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 56

View Results

I always wanted to use cloth diapers because they're eco-friendly and they cost a lot less over time.  However, people keep telling me that disposible diapers are so much better and less messy (since you don't have to clean them) and that in today's world we should be using disposible. 

I'm torn about what to do when baby comes (July 2, 2010).  Just an FYI, I've worked with adults who are not potty trained and have had to clean them up after an accident and it didn't gross me out at all (guess i have a strong stomach)

I wanna hear people's experiences with cloth vs. disposible.  If anyone started with one and switched, why?

Please help

baby
Gender PredictionGet your own gender prediction!
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lcbowman
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:12 AM

I have used both and there are pro's and con's to both.  If you are going to be a stay at home mom then cloth could work for you,  they do cost less over the long run IF you wash them yourself,  a diaper service however usually makes the cost equal if not a little more towards the cloth side.  What I did not like about cloth was the constant smell.  No matter what I used or how often I washed there was always that dirty diaper smell hanging around.  If your child is going to be in daycare you will have to search for one that will do cloths, most will tell you disposable.  Also be aware that not all disposables are equal.  And while I love pampers two of my children had reactions to something in them and I could not use them.  My preference was Huggies, but they are not the cheapest.

Just because you get to deal with sane and rational people please do not assume I get to also!
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Disposables are not better for anyone... unless someone is just that lazy.

Disposables contain nasty chemicals that are constantly up against your childs skin from birth to potty training. They are made from plastics which take over 500 years to biodegrade, are expensive and keep a little boys testicles to warm. There are a lot of findings on things like lower sperm count etc. later in life for boys who were diapered in plastic.

Cloth diapers are cute, cheaper in the long run, chemical free and there are no leaks or rashes. Yes, you do have to clean them, but it's not bad at all. Legally you should be putting any solids in the toilet anyway, not the garbage, whether you use cloth or disposables. Unfortunately, most people just toss it all. I don't find cloth diapers to be that much work. I am doing laundry anyway, what's an extra load every week? I use all in ones, pockets or fitteds. They go and snap or velcro on, just like a disposable so they are not harder to change etc.

twilight-sucks.png image by Meepit_Ruler
canthaveboys1
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:56 AM

I think to each their own. I never used cloth. I use disposable. I am a very busy working mom, and I think cloth diapers are a lot of work. They are probably cheaper in the long run. I think that both will have pros and cons. As for me, I use disposables, simply because I was never educated on anything for cloth. I have 4 kids and I work full time, with all the extra activities my kids have disposables were easier for me.   

Mommaplzzzz
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:58 AM

I used cloth and disposable.. Staying at home allowed me to take care of the cloth ones with ease.. I loved the ones that were velcro closure..You do however have to clean them yourself to save on the money aspect..Most daycares will not alow cloth they prefer disposable.

tjuhmylove
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:04 PM

I have to agree; granted I have used both and still have to use disposables with my 2 yr old at night b/c my cloth stash is not big enough to cloth both kids. I also believe that by putting my 2 yr old in cloth he has potty trained quicker; he is already daytime potty trained and refuses to wear a diaper. He only wears one to sleep or if we are going on long car rides. We love are cloth and my baby has not gotten a diaper rash after we switched her to cloth at 2 months..I personally find them easier and always tell my DH its so nice not having to worry about having to go out and buy diapers every other wk; I can just wash dry them and on baby they go.

Quoting Randi02:

Disposables are not better for anyone... unless someone is just that lazy.

Disposables contain nasty chemicals that are constantly up against your childs skin from birth to potty training. They are made from plastics which take over 500 years to biodegrade, are expensive and keep a little boys testicles to warm. There are a lot of findings on things like lower sperm count etc. later in life for boys who were diapered in plastic.

Cloth diapers are cute, cheaper in the long run, chemical free and there are no leaks or rashes. Yes, you do have to clean them, but it's not bad at all. Legally you should be putting any solids in the toilet anyway, not the garbage, whether you use cloth or disposables. Unfortunately, most people just toss it all. I don't find cloth diapers to be that much work. I am doing laundry anyway, what's an extra load every week? I use all in ones, pockets or fitteds. They go and snap or velcro on, just like a disposable so they are not harder to change etc.

PrydferthMenyw
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:06 PM

My mom only used cloth diapers on us 5 kids. As I grew older I had to help with the two youngest kids. I detested the cloth diapers! I remember taking off the plastic diaper cover, smelling the soaking wet urine and feces, getting a clean diaper on just right without poking their squirming bodies with the diaper pins, and then having to take the poopy diapers up to the bathroom and dumping the contents into the toilet.  After flushing the toilet I then had to dunk the cloth diaper up and down in the toilet water until the diaper was rinsed off and then I was *supposed* to squeeze the water out, but I couldn't bring myself to do it so I just quickly put it into the diaper pail. Every morning I had to throw in a load of the cloth diapers and add the detergent and give them a double rinse.  Then hang them outdoors to dry. I vowed at that age (11 y/o and younger) never to use cloth diapers on my children....lol.

I hate the thought of filling landfills, but I just cannot bring myself to using cloth diapers. I know they have many benefits to the child, economy, and the world around us, but I just can't.

I urge you to use cloth if you can get full information on what is involved now. I know that there must be new products and services out there to help make the whole process easier.  I hope someone here can help.

I wish you all the best! 

Join us onAdvice for Moms ~ Group Mod

Aslen
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:12 PM

The cloth diapers of today are NOT like the cloth diapers we grew up with. I used disposables with both my boys....HOWEVER, if I'm ever lessed with another child, i WILL be using cloth. Oh and I work full-time too. Saying you can use cloth diapers ebcause you work is like saying you can't breastfeed for the same reason, and that's ludicrous <sp>.

OP, there are MANY cloth diapering groups on cafemom... I urge you to check them out. Those women can answer your questions MUCH MUCH better than anyone in Advice for Moms ever can.

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:12 PM

I was a SAHM and used cloth. I felt they were better for the environment and kinder to the baby's skin. I used disposables when we were out because it was inconvenient to carry around a soiled cloth diaper.

Join us onAdvice for Moms - - Group Mod

jennasmama2001
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:15 PM

I have used both cloth and disposable. I have to say I love cloth.They are not any more work then disposables. Plus they are much better for baby and way cuter. You can join a cloth diapering group on here they can give you lots of info.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers
mom2b5-28-09
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:56 PM

i use cloth, but started out with disposables because she was too small to fit the cloth i had. i use pockets, one size. these will fit her until she is potty trained. i have put maybe $400 into it. and i have about 30 dipes and do laundry every 3-4 days. they are so easy. you put them on just like a sposie, the only difference is you wash them. and if you BF, you dont have to do anything but store them in a wet bag and then wash them when your ready. when you start solids, i would suggest getting a diaper sprayer, spray it off and store them in a wet bag until ready to wahsh. i dont work, but even if i did iwould still do it. its just doing an extra load of laundry, whoopdy doo. the only difference is the way you wash them, and once you get that down, or figure out a way that works for you then your set.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)