Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For anyone who has adopted if you could provide me with information please

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:21 AM
  • 4 Replies

i have been blessed with 3 wonderful children of my own and i LOVE them so much but theres room in my heart for more i talked to DH about it and we decided that we would like to eventually adopt at least one child... my little sisters were adopted but it was an in family adoption so not your normal everyday adoption... so i know nothing about it ive been researching and everything but id like to know from people who HAVE adopted or in the process of what is all involved and so forth THANK YOU in advance for any info you can provide

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
2milesboys
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:48 AM

oh and if makes any difference we want to adopt an older child 3-12  

JoyIsAnAttitude
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:06 PM

I commend you for opening your heart and home to an older child.  Those are the hardest to find forever families for.  Most people who want to adopt can not  have their own and opt for a baby.

I have friends from church and two sisters who do Fost/Adopt.  I have done some emergency foster care myself, but it was an individual situation.  I owned a Child Development Center and there was a 3 year old girl who was being taken away from her mom and I couldn't bear to see her go to strangers overnight.  She ended up getting adopted by a wonderful family.

With Fost/Adopt you can bring a child into your family and make sure it is going to work.  I would have adopted this little girl myself, but I had older boys and the little girl had some severe behaviors (do to abuse) and my boys were not doing well with them.  So it was not in her best interest.  It was not good timing.... and that is an important thing to consider when you have children of your own.

There are some private programs.  You should check with your local church for reputable programs.  Your local county is another avenue.  Check into both programs and see which one is the best fit for you and your family.

Blessings!

Kesstan
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:10 PM

my bil and his wife have 3 children, now a 4th, they just adopted a little girl from China! It took them MANY years b4 everything was finilized and they were able to go to china and get her. I'm not sure if it takes that long if you adopt w/ in the us or not.
I agree w/ a pp about checking w/ local church or your state for programs/places you can trust. If you get "hooked up" w/ a program they will walk you thru everything

Kesstan
Proud Mommy of:
Joslyn Pearl
Justin Emery
Shiloh Isabella

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Our neighbor adopted a 6 year old out of a horrible environment in Africa a couple years ago.  She had thrived.  She went to Kindergarten and they worked with her so much she skipped 1st grade and went to 2nd grade where everyone else her age is.  She is now in 3rd grade. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)