Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I take him to the doctor?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:32 AM
  • 8 Replies

First let me say, if the doctor's office was open already I probably would have already gone but they don't open til 12 so I was wanting some fellow mommy advice.

My last post was when to give a pillow. I asked that question as kind of a way to figure out how to prop my son up. Christmas Eve he had a runny nose and was sneezing but could breath fine and all was well. Then Thursday he woke up coughing and having difficulty breathing through his nose. I took some doctor advice and gave him robitussin for a cough (doctor recommended dosage) to see if it would help. Of course there was nothing to give him for the mucus but we dealt with it. Last night as I was about to take him to his bed after him falling asleep in my arms he started to gag and proceeded to "get sick" (not as vulgur sounding) on me. When I sat him up he continued for another 3 times. Then he relaxed and just wanted to be held. I was up every 2 hours with him due to his gagging (I didn't want him to get sick in bed). 

He hasn't had much to eat since Thursday. I know they don't eat as much when they are sick but he hardly nurses (extended nurser) and there really isn't anything we've tried that is giving him any nutrition. Advice on what to do about that would be great as well. But my original question, should I take him to the doctor. (Had he "got sick" during the day yesterday we would have already went and had he not stopped when he did last night I was going to take him to the ER due to his lack of nutrients and inability to replenish them) TIA

I am a stay at home, breast feeding, kisses and hugs giving, chubby baby loving, happily married, co-sleeping, attachment parenting, anti-CIO, vaxing, disposable diaper using, PCOS having, baby wearing, sale item buying, in college mommy who believes in and trusts THE TRINITY (Father, Son, Holy Spirit).

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mamakenzi
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Considering the amount of time he has been sick I would take him in. 

Kenzie

Check out my blog: http://macklanddiares.blogspot.com

Join us on Advice for Moms -- Group Mod

CullenLover
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:37 AM

i know when my kids are sick i get the pedialite pops and pediasure ( almost like milk shakes ) we're going through the same thing, my kids are just now getting their appetite back, our pedi said nothing you can do til it blows over. they will eat when hungry.

sandytoshiko
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Is he still getting sick? I would take him because he may need antibiotics and just a good look over. I'll bet that the vomiting was actually mucus on the belly. Try putting a pillow under his mattress at one end and placing his head on that end to keep his top half elevated, this should help with drainage issues.

I would take him just in case he neeeds antibiotics. I wouldn't worry too much about the vomiting as most of what I have seen in the hospital is mucus on the belly (and with my own to kids as well).

Good Luck! Hope he feels better!

AmiJanell
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:42 AM

I wouldn't bring him unless you think he's not drinking enough to stay hydrated (he should at least 3 wet diapers a day)

Breastfeeding can be hard when they are so congested, I would express some milk and put it in a cup he might have a much easier time drinking that way... and also encourage drinking water, milk or juice... whatever else he drinks. I wouldn't worry about foods at all. Offer them but it's more important he stay hydrated.

Suck out his nose before breastfeeding so he can breath. Prop him up for sleeping. Humidifier in his room at night.

It's normal that kids choke and gag and often times vomit when they have colds... it just happens with all of the thick drainage.

I don't think a doctor visit will help you any unless you think he's dehydrated enough to need an IV, in which case you might as well go to the ER because they can't do that in the clinic.

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:30 PM

It sounds like a cold. I would take him to rule out throat infection.  

Join us onAdvice for Moms - - Group Mod

JoyIsAnAttitude
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Does he hold anything down during the day? Watch for dehydration. Try smaller frequent feedings, just as you would if you had an upset stomach.

If he does not have a fever, it is probably not serious.  Antibiotics are for infection, and it sounds like a virus.  But listen to your instincts.  If you feel you should have him seen by a doctor, then do so. 

Graciemae829
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:05 PM

well i know i would take him right in cause little ones get sick fast...when my son was about 9 months old i thought he had a normal cold.rushed him to e.r. cause he just didn't look right...my baby had 2 sever ear infections and pneumonia...my heart was broken...they kept him for almost a week...then when he turned 4...he was fine when i put him to bed but quite ill the next morning...he had rotavirus somehow got a small amount of doggie poo under his fingernails(from babysitters)..he was in hospital nearly 2 weeks...I'm not saying your baby has these things but they get so sick so fast....just take him and ease your mind momma...may you and your little one feel better soon  :)

mommycooper24
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Quoting Graciemae829:

well i know i would take him right in cause little ones get sick fast...when my son was about 9 months old i thought he had a normal cold.rushed him to e.r. cause he just didn't look right...my baby had 2 sever ear infections and pneumonia...my heart was broken...they kept him for almost a week...then when he turned 4...he was fine when i put him to bed but quite ill the next morning...he had rotavirus somehow got a small amount of doggie poo under his fingernails(from babysitters)..he was in hospital nearly 2 weeks...I'm not saying your baby has these things but they get so sick so fast....just take him and ease your mind momma...may you and your little one feel better soon  :)

i agreee i posted a post last night all my son  was doing was coughing and had a fever off and on since thur  i took him to the er and he had 2 bad ear infections and a prety nasty cold they gave me rondac  ( c phen ) and antiobotcts  my son is 2 1/2  and i dont know how old ur little one is but they have givin my kids it as young as 6 mo and it helps with coughing and congestion   i hope he gets better    sorrry about the spelling

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)