Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teens as maids?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:01 PM
  • 17 Replies

I am a 49 year old mom of 2 teens. Boy 19 and girl 15. My b/f thinks hat They should do all the housework while he takes me off running around doing thing he wants. Help?

southerngirl
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hockenburys4
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:03 PM

I would say no because there not hes kids!! Tell him to grow up!!

God Bless & Have A Nice Day!!!

Hockenburys4

canthaveboys1
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Yes, that is why I had 4 kids...........Just Kidding!!! I think your bf is being selfish. However I do not think its a bad idea to have a chore list for your teens to do to help out around the house.  

2milesboys
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:04 PM

they should have responsiblities but not ALL the housework tell him your still their mother and you will act like it 

AllNaturalMum
by Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:05 PM

I think that they should be required to help around the house... Not meaning they do all the chores, parents should lead by example on this one.

I would start a chore chart and rotate who does what weekly.. Parents should do the harder things (laundry, mowing the lawn, etc...), but teens should be expected to clean the bathroom, keep their rooms clean and help care for any animals.

(This is all coming from a 19 year old, this is what we did at my house when I was a teen and I felt it was VERY fair, and now being a single, teen mom I am just in the habit of doing those things so life is a TON easier)

pregnancy calendar
Mommaplzzzz
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Your kiddos are definitely old enough to help out around the house but it is your house... After they are gone it is still you doing the housework.. My kids do alot compared to their friends but there are things that I feel they should not have to do on a regular basis.. I have at times had them do everything involved in keeping and maintaing a house so they know when they have their own but this is my house.. I want things done the way I want and when I want.. But lettin something go once ina while to enjoy yur BF or lettin your kiddos do what is needed that day should be based on how you feel about it..

zoeysmom331
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:06 PM

I think they definitely need to be helping around the house. Not all of it, but at least helping

in love            toddler girl       puppy     baby dust
Craig and Jen       Zoey Jane        Stella       TTC #2
  5-30-09            3-31-05

Honeybun09
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:07 PM

I don't think they should be doing all the housework but at those ages, they better be doing some housework.

I am a US citizen, formula feeding but will breastfeed until child self weans next time, co-sleeping for at least 6 months, extended rear facing and harnessing to the maximum, God loving and fearing, spanking as a last resort believing, anti-CIO until age 1, learning to cook, disposable diapering but will cloth diaper next time, health care is a human right believing, training to be a child care assistant, trying to recycle more mommy to one beautiful mixed baby girl!  My husband is a legal Mexican United States citizen, who is the most amazing man, husband, and father.

baby growth

PrydferthMenyw
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Everyone should be pitching in on the housework - you, the kids, and your bf (if he lives with you).  He has some nerve making such a suggestion and I hope he wasn't serious about it...just joking.  You work full time so you can't do as much housework, but if the kids are home more than you are, then they can be helping out a lot more.  I also believe that one day a week as a family splitting up the deep cleaning chores is a great way to form family unity and to get it all done quicker without anyone feeling like the "slave" of the house.  We like to turn on music as we all clean together.  It's fun!  Then when we get it done we go out and do something together as a family - usually on a Saturday.

Put your bf in his place.

Join us onAdvice for Moms ~ Group Mod

retsillacam
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:16 PM

no way! My SD made me "the maid" when I was a teen. I resent him for it.

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:18 PM

They should do a lot of the household tasks. They are plenty old enough. They should both help with cooking, and they should be able to handle cleanup on their own. They should vacuum and dust and shake rugs, clean their own rooms and change their beds, perhaps do laundry -theirs and the household laundry. Yard work.  They can help with shopping and groceries. This is a great time for them to learn how to manage a house. It would be useful if you would show them how to do a budget, how to pay bills, how you handle taxes. Of course if they do this much around the house, it would be fair for them to have decent allowances, too. Anything that you would pay someone else to do, they should be paid also. For example, if you have them paint the room, then you'd pay them a nice wage for painting the room- not as much, since they wouldn't be pros and wouldn't have the overhead that a professional would have, but the extra work is worth extra money.

By the time they leave the nest, they'll be comfortable running their own household.

Join us onAdvice for Moms - - Group Mod

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)