Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why is nausea supposed to stop around...

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:58 PM
  • 17 Replies

13 wks? What happens when the second trimester starts to stop nausea (for the majority of people)? Is it because the placenta takes over which reduces nausea?

Just wondering!

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ArmyWifey4907
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:56 PM

I don't know why nausea stops, but I'm just glad it does.  I had it SO bad from 6 weeks on.  I'm 14 weeks today and I've only gotten sick twice in the past 3 weeks.

pregnancy calendar

onefootcutiepie
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:56 PM

the nausea never stopped for me, so I don't know.... 

Dr_Bitch
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 4:02 PM

I had consistent nausea for the first 4 months.  I am actually 6 months now and puked this morning.  For some, nausea goes away and for some it never does the entire pregnancy.  Not sure why people get nauseous though.  Maybe it's due to the hormonal change of ones body.  Too much of anything is going to make you sick.  :) 

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Quote:

It would appear that the rapid increase in hCG (the pregnancy hormone) and estrogen play a part in the appearance of morning sickness. You start feeling the effects of pregnancy morning sickness once it raises to a certain level and many start feeling relief from the morning sickness around the time that the levels of hCG start to decline in your system.

http://www.morningsicknesshelp.com/pregnancy-morning-sickness.html

So the answer to your question seems to be that the pregnancy hormone starts to decline then.

Join us onAdvice for Moms - - Group Mod

tyfry7496
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Exactly!!!

Quoting onefootcutiepie:

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately, no one is exactly sure what causes morning sickness but it would seem that the cause is a combination of issues related to the chemical changes your body is going through. Those changes include rapidly increasing estrogen and progesterone levels, an enhanced sense of smell and excess stomach acids. It has also been suggested that stress and fatigue that commonly accompany pregnancy also play a role.

One of the theories is that morning sickness is caused by the dominant hormone during pregnancy, progesterone. Progesterone has a "softening" effect on the muscles in the body. It is thought it helps prevent preterm labor by effecting the uterine muscles. It also effects other muscles, such as the stomach and intestines. The progesterone relaxes the workings of the whole digestive track which makes the elimination of bodily wastes slower which can lead to a slow emptying of the stomach which leads to excess stomach acids.

Another theory, and more widely accepted, is that morning sickness is caused by the buildup of hCG (human chorionic gonadotopin) in your system. hCG is produced after implantation takes place and continues to increase until about the 12th week of your pregnancy, at which point the levels of hCG starts to decrease. If you are lucky, this is when your morning sickness symptoms will start to decrease as well.

http://www.morningsicknesshelp.com/morningsicknesscauses.html

This article is better.

CarolinaMom2006
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:36 PM

It never stopped for me either, I had it the whole 9 months =( and it's such a terrible feeling I know!

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:42 PM

For my first son I was sick the whole time. For my second son the day I finished the third month the nausea went away and I felt wonderful.

Greenstone920
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Ditto,

Quoting onefootcutiepie:

Karebear6101
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:46 PM

The nausea subsides after the first trimester because the hormones level out a little bit. For me, the nausea was bad until I was about 16 weeks with this pregnancy. Even now when I am in my last two weeks of pregnancy, I still have days where my stomach is blah. With my first two pregnancies, the nausea got better starting at 13 weeks. Good luck. I know it's miserable.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)