Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sharing the results of my polls in this group about labor

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:08 PM
  • 22 Replies

So I polled the group with two posts, one for moms who had pain medications during labor and one for moms who did not have pain medications during labor. I was curious to see the difference in the amount of interventions used on moms. I did not include moms that were induced, but did include moms whose labors were augmented. This is trusting that everyone understood the question and answer honestly, here's what I found:

Moms that used pain medications during labor were split 50/50 for interventions including: episiotomy, forceps, vacuum, pitocin to help with slowed contractions, end up with a c-section

Moms that did not use pain medications during labor were split 33% did have interventions including: episiotomy, forceps, vacuum, pitocin to help with slowed contractions, end up with a c-section

and 66% did not have any interventions.

I am a bit surprised that the number of mothers who used meds and had interventions is evenly split. Studies show that moms who have pain meds are at an increased risk of needing interventions during labor. I am more surprised that moms that did not use pain meds during labor didn't have a more profound split between them for the same reason. I am thinking the reason for this is that most moms have delivered in a hospital setting and just walking through the doors of the hospital increases your odds of having an interventions used on you. I think this poll stands behind that thought. I just wanted to share what I found. =) 

Anyone else have thoughts on it?

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
StarsChildren
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Interesting... could try doing a pole for homebirths... just to see if its a hospital that raises the %'s or not. Like option one being, homebirth successful and option two being, homebirth had to transfer to hospital.

I am a Buddhist, Child Led Parenting, All Natural Kinda Mom

Check Out These Groups:

Well Rounded Moms
; Buddhist Mamas ; Natural Earth Mamas ;
Natural Pregnancy & Childbirth
; *Raising Intact Boys* ; Choosing Not To Vaccinated

Daynaof3
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Quoting StarsChildren:

Interesting... could try doing a pole for homebirths... just to see if its a hospital that raises the %'s or not. Like option one being, homebirth successful and option two being, homebirth had to transfer to hospital.

I think I will do this, and I will also do a poll for hospital births as well. I think it will be much more clear if I do that the true difference in numbers. Thanks for replying!

StarsChildren
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Yeah, if people respond to the polls it should show the %s  well

I am a Buddhist, Child Led Parenting, All Natural Kinda Mom

Check Out These Groups:

Well Rounded Moms
; Buddhist Mamas ; Natural Earth Mamas ;
Natural Pregnancy & Childbirth
; *Raising Intact Boys* ; Choosing Not To Vaccinated

dosthepost
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:58 PM

My hospital birth was just what I wanted. I asked for what I got. I asked for pitocen, because they gave me the option of waiting for the contractions to even out on their own (they weren't slow. Just irregular.) I didn't want to wait. I had an epi when they asked and yes, told me all of the statistics on both sides. Then I pushed a baby out on March 3, 2008 at 5:40 p.m. vaginally without tearing, or needing any intervention. Your birth is what YOU make it, no matter where you have it. Being a pushover doesn't tranfer the blame to your doctor. And if they DID force you to do anything, it's an easy lawsuit.

pregnant

CafeMom Tickers

Daynaof3
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:07 PM

I get that you like to argue, and that's fine. How many women do you think sit there and go over facts and statistics of all interventions possible before they deliver? How many doctors do you think go into full detail with a mother BEFORE she is in labor or even during labor the full risks of any treatment she may receive? Impossible for you to say either way. I think not fully informing a mother, or playing down the risks to them is just awful. I am glad you had the birth you wanted, I know many moms like myself who did not.

Quoting dosthepost:

My hospital birth was just what I wanted. I asked for what I got. I asked for pitocen, because they gave me the option of waiting for the contractions to even out on their own (they weren't slow. Just irregular.) I didn't want to wait. I had an epi when they asked and yes, told me all of the statistics on both sides. Then I pushed a baby out on March 3, 2008 at 5:40 p.m. vaginally without tearing, or needing any intervention. Your birth is what YOU make it, no matter where you have it. Being a pushover doesn't tranfer the blame to your doctor. And if they DID force you to do anything, it's an easy lawsuit.

dosthepost
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:14 PM

Yes, when it comes to people who push a certain way I do argue. Because I don't care how you do things, but while you're accusing doctor's of scare tactics, you're doing the exact same thing! Anyway to answer all of your questions, in order, more should, and it is THIER PROBLEM if they do not. More should. But even if they dont, you should've looked it up on your own. And again, being a pushover doesn't make it the doctor's fault. The entire time you should've been telling them no. No no no no no. It's one thing if it's your first, but your second as well? Come on now. You know how it worked how the hospital you were going to played their games, and you still went in and fell for it. Yes, women should be more informed. And hospital births shouldn't be made out to be beneath anything else. Sometimes that's someone's only option.

Quoting Daynaof3:

I get that you like to argue, and that's fine. How many women do you think sit there and go over facts and statistics of all interventions possible before they deliver? How many doctors do you think go into full detail with a mother BEFORE she is in labor or even during labor the full risks of any treatment she may receive? Impossible for you to say either way. I think not fully informing a mother, or playing down the risks to them is just awful. I am glad you had the birth you wanted, I know many moms like myself who did not.

Quoting dosthepost:

pregnant

CafeMom Tickers

Daynaof3
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:26 PM

But the doctor is required to fully inform. Period. If she doesn't know ahead of time she should be told then. I was not told during labor that a c-section would increase the chances that I could have future fertility issues/placental placement issues with next pregnancy/my kids would be more likely to have asthma which runs in my family/I would have pain from adhesions/was at risk for bowel obstructions/hemorrhage/blood clots/infection, etc. you get my point. When I agreed to the c-section it was because the doctor told me that in an hour my babies(twins)could have massive issues. This was in response to my question "well, my babies are doing well right?" when he asked me to consent to a c-section. This same doctor told my friend flat out that she wouldn't have a c-section and labor was going well, she got to 10 cm and they told her she had to have a c-section because she couldn't effectively push. They never ever offered to turn the epidural off, her baby was in no distress. I am not pushing my opinion on anyone, I do encourage moms to do their own research and make their own decisions. You don't seem to understand that it's not always just the fact that mom may not know, it's the fact that the doctors fail to fully inform.

Quoting dosthepost:

Yes, when it comes to people who push a certain way I do argue. Because I don't care how you do things, but while you're accusing doctor's of scare tactics, you're doing the exact same thing! Anyway to answer all of your questions, in order, more should, and it is THIER PROBLEM if they do not. More should. But even if they dont, you should've looked it up on your own. And again, being a pushover doesn't make it the doctor's fault. The entire time you should've been telling them no. No no no no no. It's one thing if it's your first, but your second as well? Come on now. You know how it worked how the hospital you were going to played their games, and you still went in and fell for it. Yes, women should be more informed. And hospital births shouldn't be made out to be beneath anything else. Sometimes that's someone's only option.

Quoting Daynaof3:

Quoting dosthepost:

lundaylove
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 4:52 PM

you are a moron. NOT every birth goes like yours. I for one went for an epi, it didnt work. I got an episiotomy, still tore. My son was sunny side up and then when the drs tried turning him he flipped sideways and thats how he came out. Tore me all to hell. You can say birth is what you make it but sometimes things dont happen as planned. Just cuz you had a 'perfect' birth doesnt mean everyone else will.

And for the record. you cant always sue doctors. You sure as hell cant sue the military docs.

Quoting dosthepost:

lexismum03
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:00 PM

Quoting lundaylove:

you are a moron. NOT every birth goes like yours. I for one went for an epi, it didnt work. I got an episiotomy, still tore. My son was sunny side up and then when the drs tried turning him he flipped sideways and thats how he came out. Tore me all to hell. You can say birth is what you make it but sometimes things dont happen as planned. Just cuz you had a 'perfect' birth doesnt mean everyone else will.

And for the record. you cant always sue doctors. You sure as hell cant sue the military docs.

Quoting dosthepost:

my dd was sunny side up. I didn't get pain meds other than to numb where they had to stitch. I tore completely because I was at a dif hospital and they didn't know she was sunnyside up until it was to late. I had pitocin however I think that had no effect on what the outcome of my birth was! In a way a birth is what you make it but sometimes things cannot be avoided and well things happen! don't be so hateful when proving a point!

ChazznRoccosmom
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Quoting dosthepost:

Your birth is what YOU make it, no matter where you have it. 

Yeah, that's so not a fair, or accurate statement. I don't think anyone with kids could POSSIBLY say your birth will go your way. No one knows how their body or baby will react. No one can plan or predict what will happen. Do I think too many women really on pain meds ands surgical procedures to get their babies out, hell yes. But I also think labor is unpredictable and there is a time and place for everything. I don't at all think it's a coincidence that more women who were numbed up needed intervention. I'm not knocking women who do use epis or whatever. But that's not how I body was made to deal with labor. We feel everything so we can react to it. It makes sense that if you are numb, you might need help to get it done accurately. I also understand someone may be so uncomfortable during labor that the only way to speed it up is to relax with the meds.

Mom             Dad         Chazz (7y)   Rocco (4y)    Joey (15m)

Breastfeeding, baby wearing, natural birthing, anti-abortion, SAHM who loves her tattoos, piercings, and hair dye

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)