Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Warning about DIET soda or anything

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:09 PM
  • 35 Replies

I see alot of posts about losing weight...getting healthy as is normal with a new year. I also see discussions about diet products. This made me want to make this post.

When I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia I was in so much pain that on a daily basis I was usually unable to get out of bed without help. I did alot of research once diagnosed and many doctors recommended no diet products. Many believe diet products may be the cause of fibromyalgia and other deseases. I was drinking diet pop everyday and had been for years trying to lose weight that never came off even on diet soda.

I quit drinking diet pop even returning to regular pepsi because I just can't give up pop 100%. I not only felt 80% better....less pain, more range of motion...but I began to LOSE WEIGHT. When I mentioned this to my own doctor he said Diet products are not regulated well enough and nobody really knows the damage they will do long term. He said that somethng in diet products lower your metabolism which will keep you from losing weight even with proper diet and exercise! When I stopped drinking diet pop I lost weight even though I was not exercising at all and had not changed my diet.

Especially if you are pregnant (my OB told me NO DIET PRODUCTS while I was preggo because nobody knows how long they stay in your system or what harm may come to children whose mom drank these products while pregnant) please think carefully about using diet products.

If you are trying to lose weight drink water not diet stuff. I still drink pop because I admit I am an addict but I am trying to drink more water which is making me drink less pop without trying.

I know people won't agree with me and I really do not care who argues about this. I have no reason to post this other then care and concern. So, unless you own stock in fake sugars why bash? If you want to continue consuming this stuff its your call...I am not saying vote to outlaw it...I am just saying think about what I am saying.

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Schleetle
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Soda in general is awful... My mom drinks diet soda like water all day long starting in the morning. She got UTIs, and kidney stones from it. I am glad I don't like soda.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

CafeMom Tickers

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Thank you for the information. I didn't know any of this.

Join us onAdvice for Moms - - Group Mod

RheaF
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Ehh. Everything in moderation. Aspertaime (the sweetner) has beenon eof the most tested products out htere. I drink Diet Soda(reg. is just to sweet) and drank it while pregnant with both kids. They are fina and I am fine. I dont drink it all the time but I do drink it.  To each their own.

UxorQuodMatris
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Thanks for your post.

I just quit soda cold turkey, it's hard but worth it.   I do use a packet of Sweet & Low in my coffee, I'm trying to cut it out. I've gone from 5 packets to one, so next will be just a half and then none. 

behappilyever
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:38 PM

yes, pop is bad for you. yes, diet pop is bad for you. doctors say no "diet" products when you are pregnant bc of the phenylalanine in it. the same thing goes with fake sugars. like sweet n low. they say to use splenda (i think that's what it is) bc it is made from real sugar. they also tell you stay away from caffeinne while pregnant. and smoking. and bottom feeding sea food. and deli meat. the list goes on.

if it makes you happy and you feel healthier, i am happy for you. you say "If you want to continue consuming this stuff its your call...I am not saying vote to outlaw it..." and yet you say "If you are trying to lose weight drink water not diet stuff". i say do what makes you happy. i also say share what works for you and let people form their own opinion without telling them what to do.

deann66
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Quoting RheaF:

Ehh. Everything in moderation. Aspertaime (the sweetner) has beenon eof the most tested products out htere. I drink Diet Soda(reg. is just to sweet) and drank it while pregnant with both kids. They are fina and I am fine. I dont drink it all the time but I do drink it.  To each their own.

I predicted someone would argue. I really do not care. I am just stating MY experience in hopes of helping someone else to not get ill. I drank it for years (except when pregnant because I refused to risk my babies health and my OB said NO diet sweetners) and would have said "Blah, I am fine" if someone had warned me too. I hope you continue to be fine. I just thought it was worth my time to post this.

lovinmy3babs
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Just a ? bout your fibro? Have u found anything for the pain? My mother was diagnosed about 5 yrs ago and cannot work or anything and is now living with us. I believe they have tried her on everything possible for the pain. Wondering what you are doing to control yours. Thanks!

groovy1031
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:47 PM

artificial sweeteners are horrible for you. real sugar is not healthy either but at least you are not ingesting chemicals. The main ingredient in Splenda is chlorine!! You might as well go down a cup of pool water if you use Splenda!

Biancas_mommy
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:55 PM

My sister had fibro. and they did a sleep studying and it turned out she wasnt going threw all 3 phases of sleep cprrently (like r.em and all that) have they done a sleep study on her?

Quoting lovinmy3babs:

Just a ? bout your fibro? Have u found anything for the pain? My mother was diagnosed about 5 yrs ago and cannot work or anything and is now living with us. I believe they have tried her on everything possible for the pain. Wondering what you are doing to control yours. Thanks!

deann66
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:57 PM

Quoting lovinmy3babs:

I have not found anything that works. I lost my insurance in April so have not tried anything new since. My doc gives me vicodin which takes the edge off when I absolutely can't handle the pain...really bad days. I only use them once every week or so. Shes lucky to have you. I worry what will become of me when I am unable to work. I need more work credits to get disability and am unable to find work. I am scared what will happen if I do not work more before being totally disabled. I know my oldest son would move home and help me but I hate for him to have to do that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)