Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need advice--step parenting

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:12 PM
  • 2 Replies

I have an 8 year old daughter.  My bf has 8 and 10 yr old sons.  The kids play well together, but his and my parenting ways are totally different.  He only gets them 2 weekends a month right now and when they are over they do whatever they want-which includes consuming sugar until all hours of the night-which means they stay up and wild all night.  I don't let my daughter do that, but how do I deal with situations like that when they are all together?  He let's them do anything and there is no structure and it makes me nuts!!  I started finding that my daughter is listening to me less and less in those situations now--like why just me and not them too...but they aren't my kids to tell stuff to.  What do I do??

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Mommaplzzzz
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Ok here is my thoughts, and yes my bf has custody full time of his son.. THe rule fof thumb my house my rules. My BF respects this because he appreciates the way my two kids have turned out. So just tell him if he has no prblem with the way your daughter already is then he has to let you have input.. These kids are old enough to know better. Just make sure you are not treating them different then you would your own child.. Every child should know they are loved and not step'ped on..

deann66
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:26 PM

State it to him like you did us. State the facts of how hard it is to enforce rules for your dd when his kids are without rules. Do not say it in a way that he can interpret as you saying his kids are bad. Just that you have rules and its making things difficult with your daughter. Its hard for dads who have visits...they do not want to be a bad guy in the short time they have them. Its going to be hard because the kids are already use to how things are with dad and will see you as the bad guy who has to ruin everything. Try to have your BF put it onto them as much as possible. Such as "You were allowed to have candy at night and it made it difficult to sleep so now we have to chaneg that privledge" rather then having him say "these are Jenns rules and you have to follow them" mking you the bad guy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)