Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Advice

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:56 PM
  • 12 Replies

Alright I really need advice here! My fiance has come to realize he doesnt want to work construction for the rest of his life and it is so hard on his body and not enough pay.

He wants us to be successful and not ever have to struggle again and the military seems to be our only option in getting there. I think I could handle the few months of basic with him being gone, but the rest I dont even want to think about. I realize deployments come with the military and that is something we would have to work through. And his schooling would be paid or he would have a lot of help paying it.

BUT we just bought a house as well so joining a military branch would most likely mean we would get stationed somewhere else which would be nearly impossible selling our house for what we paid for it in this economy, so that would be pointless. We have an air force base nearby as well as an army base, but that's it.

Also, we have looked up the pay and it isnt much more than he makes now, of course I know the benefits are great and they help pay for housing or whatever, but I just need advice on how other couple have made it or what they decided to do if they were in our shoes. Thank you!

*Brooke*

Mommy to two wonderful boys Keaton 11.15.2007 & Taeton 08.26.2009, and Fiance to Garrett.

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
onefootcutiepie
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:58 PM

How would the military be better for his body?

I grew up a military kid and most of my family is in the military. It was a good way to grow up for me. 

ashli488
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:59 PM

Im not really sure, my hubby was in the army before we got married and before we even got together so idk...

but BUMP! 

CafeMom Tickers

KeatonsMama404
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Yes it would definately be better on his body than what he does now!

*Brooke*

Mommy to two wonderful boys Keaton 11.15.2007 & Taeton 08.26.2009, and Fiance to Garrett.

orange4agua72
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Air Force... Most have shorter deployments and lots of benifits!!! My hubby is in the AF reserves right now, but will be taking his officer test at the end of this month, so he'll be going active duty as soon as he finds a good position.... It's a stressful life and some women can't handle it, especially if you aren't used to it. BUT it's WONDERFUL security!!!

Stick Figure Family at FreeFlashToys.com 

armywife2009101
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 4:09 PM

You could always lease out your home. Charge the tenants what your monthly house bill is. If you already own it then heres a chance to get some extra cash. My hub is in the army and once he comes back from deployment we are going to buy a nice home and rent it out. We believe that it is a good finicial investment. As for the the deployment part, yea its really really hard, but you just have to think positive. While your husband is deployed his pay is enormous, that gives you time to save up for your kids college and a good start on your retirement savings. Everything works out in the end.

I am a mother first, An army wife second, SAHM,  I am Pro-choice, I support the right for gays to marryI spank, I circumcise, My child was FF not by choice but  he is GREAT.

KeatonsMama404
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 4:17 PM

Well right now the only reason I think I would be ok with the training and deployments is because he leaves town for work monday mornings WAY early and doesnt come home until Thursday night or friday so I am used to him NOT being home, but love it when he's here.

So far I have heard that Air Force deployments are the shortest???? Like 4-6 months??? Which would be easier to handle that 9-15 months.

And I have heard the pay is more when your married and have a kid or two, which we have two, but really how much is the pay when your married with two kids?

*Brooke*

Vivaine
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 4:19 PM

It is almost certain you will have to move no matter what's near you.  They give you a choice of 8 bases and try to place you by region so if you choose bases in more than one region than you could get stationed anywhere.  New guys are lowest on the totem pole and almost never get their first pick.  Those that get first pick are those who just returned from crummy deployments.  Also starting pay is low so really look at that before he goes in just as you would a new job.  Any pre-exisiting medical conditions like asthma or surgeries can disqualify you so answer No to that question on the application.  They test to see if you are not only eligible for that branch but what fields you are eligible for.  Some positions are deployed more than others and not all fields are available at all bases-example- DH is in munitions and not every AF base has munitions.  There were none near our original home.  Marines is most physically challenging and AF is the most intellectually challenging to qualify for.  The perks are the housing allowance, the chance to move somewhere that you may be in a better economic position but if you hate it you're stuck there for at least 4 years. They have a lot of assistance programs and the GI Bill can be great.  The raises are greater than the civilian world and free healthcare even though sometimes it can really really try your patience or be less than what you experienced at civilian dr's.  Overall, I'm happy DH is in but he went back in at a fairly decent rank.  It would have been difficult had we been married when he first went in and did not have a family yet.  They do help you with job assistance as a spouse and even though we live in a really low cost area, I would have had to work had he gone in at the lowest rank with a child.  Even base housing has been privatized so basically it works out that you are renting a house on base from a private company.  It's a big commitment for the whole family, just be prepared for a lot of changes.  Oh and you mentioned you weren't married yet.  You have to be before the paperwork goes in otherwise there could be complications adding you later.  We were already engaged but had to move up the wedding by 6 months so we were married when he submitted his dependants which is submitted before he's accepted.  We were also told we would get 45 days notice to move and only got 21.

Even AF can get deployed a lot though gladly they are usually not over enemy lines.  Intell is deployed 6 months out of most years and Officers are deployed a lot more than enlisted plus usually move every 2 years.  DH has made the decision not to be an officer though he could because even though the money is much better, I would rather have him home more.

lundaylove
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 4:39 PM

well we are navy so the deployments are a bit longer at 6-8 months but they arent too bad. The pay will go up for length of service (how long you are in) and with rank. Starting out its between 1300 and 1400 a month base pay. thats just in E1, the lowest you can go. Usually by the time you are able to live with your hubby and he is at his first duty station he'll usually be E2 so that pay is 1600 or a lil more. Then once you guys are at your duty station and you are living with him, youll be listed at dependents so youll get BAH and BAS which is housing and basic food allowance pretty much. That will depend on where you are stationed. This will typically cover your rent if you do not live in base housing. Sometimes itll cover other bills if you can find a cheap enough house. If you live in base housing you may not get the BAH.

also the BAH/BAS is just based on if you are married or you have a kid, it wont go up with each kid you have sadly lol.

Quoting KeatonsMama404:

Well right now the only reason I think I would be ok with the training and deployments is because he leaves town for work monday mornings WAY early and doesnt come home until Thursday night or friday so I am used to him NOT being home, but love it when he's here.

So far I have heard that Air Force deployments are the shortest???? Like 4-6 months??? Which would be easier to handle that 9-15 months.

And I have heard the pay is more when your married and have a kid or two, which we have two, but really how much is the pay when your married with two kids?

PrydferthMenyw
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Instead of making a huge life-changing choice, how if he tries out the Reserves first?  He can get his feet wet as a Reservist, get an idea of the military "life," and then decide later on whether it is the right choice or not.

My DH began as a Reservist and loved it.  When an opportunity opened itself, he was allowed to go in full active duty. 

As an E1, his take home pay was around $2440 per month, which included our housing allowance.  We transferred a few months later to a different state and moved into military housing.  His take home pay dropped to $1620 per month because they don't give you your housing allowance when you live in military housing. Even with 3 children and zero debt, this amount was more than adequate for us to live on.

Of course, he has advanced in rank and rate of pay and he has put 12 years in.  His college is all paid for, the BAH covers our mortgage, and the medical is okay. The dental coverage is terrible, though.

Whatever choice your DH makes he has to realize that he will only be able to choose his career from whatever there is open and he will have to go wherever they send him, when they send him.  It is a good career if a military member puts in as much as they get from it, but it is not a universal lifestyle, or one that is a way out of a hardship.

Best wishes to you.

Join us onAdvice for Moms ~ Group Mod

PrydferthMenyw
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:22 PM

By the way, if he does enlist you may wish to consider getting married before he signs the paperwork so you can receive the benefits right away.  If the two boys are his then they will be covered regardless of marital status.  Children dependents of unmarried couples will need an ID of their own right away.  Children dependents of married couples don't get their own ID's until they turn 10 years old. 

Join us onAdvice for Moms ~ Group Mod

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)