Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need opinions about my daughters weight

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:24 PM
  • 37 Replies

I am concerned about my daughters wieght.  She is 3 years old, will be 4 in August.  She weighs 50 lbs, maybe 1 or 2 lbs more.  She is 42 inches tall.  She has always been tall and thick.  Do you think she is overweight?  She doesn't look fat or anything, just thicker compared to other kids her age.  She weighs more than most 5 year olds.  Also, all day long, every day, she says she is hungry, she always wants to eat, even if she just ate lunch or breakfast 15 mins ago.  I have to limit all her meals.  She gets breakfast, a snack, lunch, a snack, then dinner, and occasionally desert if she ate dinner good.  She is always thirsty.  And all she wants to drink is milk.  She is on 1 % milk cause she drinks so much of it.  She has a sensitive stomache or something, and fruit juice gives her diaherea, so there isn't much I can give her, and she won't drink water.  Is this normal?? Should she want to eat all the time?   I am thinkin about making her an appointment to see her doctor tomorrow, just to see what they say about it.  But i know that her doc probably will say she is fine, and not to worry about it.  I am average size and height, but her father is 6'3" and a bit overweight.  I just do not want my child to grow up being overweight- for health reasons, and I don't want her picked on at school.  I don't want to like put her on a diet or anything like that, but I am afraid I am going to have to.  Could something like medically be wrong with her, or whats going on?  What should I do, or am I just worrying to much, lol?

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kesstan
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:28 PM

I would speak with her Pedi. about the concern. There may be nothing wrong, but no one knows your child better than you and her dr/

Kesstan
Proud Mommy of:
Joslyn Pearl
Justin Emery
Shiloh Isabella

prestonjohn
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:32 PM

you can try flavored water,,,i am not good at the whole weight thing...my nephew who i had was like 32 pounds till he was almost four and i had him tested for worms and everything cuz i thought he wasnt gaining any weight,,he was 32 pounds from 2 -4 years ald,,he grew height wise just not out,,lol,,i am thinking if she isnt eating alot of junk and stuff that she will thin out when she gets older,,,is her snacks healthy ones,,i mean every kid needs alittle junk food so i am not against that,,we eat what we want when we want..lol..

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:34 PM

I would stop with the milk, it inhibits iron and calcium absorption and if she's drinking too much of it, she will be missing out on things she actually needs. Your daughter is 20lbs heavier than my 3 year old son and not much taller.

I would not give her the option to NOT drink water. It's all my kids get. If you need to entice her a little, put some lemon or orange slices and ice in her cup to make it more interesting.

Make sure what she is eating counts. No white breads or pasta, only whole grain. No processed sugars, hydrogenated oils etc. As many veggies as she wants with a low fat dip for healthy snacks.

Definitely talk to her doctor though.

twilight-sucks.png image by Meepit_Ruler
PregoDiana
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Do you have a pic of her?  I dont know based of weight what the average is for that age.  But thats because I never ask ppl the weight of their child! =P  I just know what "looks" average.  But I would call you Dr too.  Thats what they are there for.  Tell them excatly what you said here.  About how much she eats/drinks/ and asks for more.  Tell them you are concerned of her getting picked on and the health risks.  They should re-assure you if she really is "normal" or they can help you begin to correct the problem/behavior before it gets out of hand if it really is the early signs of a weight problem!  Good luck momma!

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Ask your doctor, but to me is doesn't sound like a big deal. My son is four and bigger then all the kids in his class, taller and wider. He isn't fat but has a big build. He is in the 90th percentile for both his height and weight and perfectly healthy. Like you I have to tell him no to food and cut back what he eats, he's laways hungry and asking for food. Fifteen minutes after eating breakfast he's asking for more food. I say don't worry about it.

briellas_mommie
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:15 PM

she eats fairly healthy I think.  I get her like whole wheat whole grain bread and snacks if I can find them.  I get her the turkey hot dogs and light bologna and stuff like that.  She wants to drink milk all the time, but I usually only give it to her with her cereal, and a small cup of milk for breakfast, and maybe 2 or 3 other cups of milk a day, and these are little cups, like maybe 5 ounces or something.  For snacks, she usually eats like a pack of the peanut butter on cheese crackers, or 1 pack of gummie snacks, or a cheese stick and ritze whole wheat crackers, or a thing of the light yoplait strawberry yougurt, she doens't like the kid kinds.  She likes the fruit cups or applesauce, but won't actually eat real fruit, besides grapes, those are her favorite!  But I know they fruit cups are full of added sugar, and i try to get the ones that are in light syrup, but I dont give them to her often.  She is really picky, and doesn't eat a whole lot of other stuff besides this, and she will NOT eat veggies at all, besides mashed potatoes, which arent that healthy for ya.  She doesn't eat any pasta besides mac and cheese.  Here are a few pictures of her.

these pics aren't like really recent, but within the past few months

Sirenabella
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:06 PM

She looks a little pudgy but not really overweight or anything. Have you talked to her ped? Does she eat a lot of simple carbs? Those break down in the body quickly so she'll be hungry sooner. Try feeding her complex carbs like whole grain and wheat products instead. Less sugar and milk. If you're really worried talk to a nutritionist or dietitian.   

abstractmommy
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:08 PM

She looks big for her age but not fat. I would imagine she will slim out as she gets taller and older.

kiddiecare05
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:16 PM

I think she looks fairly average. However I HIGHLY recommend you buying the book "Eat this, Not that: For Kids" I actually bought this book for myself because I am a lover of all "kid" foods. The book is AWESOME and has a ton of simple changes you can make in a kids diet without them even noticing (Example: Plain spaghetti-os vs. mac and cheese is a better option, breyers oreo ice cream sandwiches are healthier than only 3 oreos, etc). There are also examples of what is best and worst for kids to eat at tons of popular resturants. It isnt a book that has tons of text, it is colorful and has plenty of pictures. Its straight to the point. One of the shocking things in there was turkey wasnt always the best alternative as far as hot dogs and things - sometimes its worse than the regular ones!

The book says just make a few simple changes and kids will be at a much healthier body weight.

briellas_mommie
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Thanks for all the advice.  I am going to make her an appointment tomorrow just to see what her doctor says.  I have done the online bmi for kids, and those say she is obese, which I do not believe she is.  But I am still worried, lol, i guess thats just being a mom.  I have been waiting for her to slim out for a year now, lol.  Its so hard to get clothes that actually fit her, especially jeans.  She is just now growing out of a size 5 in little girls, in her waist and length, its crazy.  Its just like a baby, lol, having to have a completely new wardrobe in 6 months...  She is in the same size clothes as her 6 year old cousin, but she is a "skinny minny" as she calls herself, lol.  But i will try the book, I enjoy reading anyways.  I have tried finding recipies online, but haven't found any that my daughter would actually eat, she is picky....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)