Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For those of you who have lost weight or are losing weight .. (piog)

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:38 PM
  • 32 Replies

I need to lose weight. This I know. I am not healthy. I do not like the way I look. I lack confidence and self esteem. But I just cannot for the life of me get motivated to lose weight. I try to go on diets and exercise, and it lasts a couple of days, and then I stop. I don't know what to do. I currently weigh in at 246.8lbs and I am 5'2. I need to lose A LOT of weight. I was doing really good for a week or two. My DF and I joined the Y and were going to work out at least 3 times a week. I was also watching what I was eating. But I ALWAYS get cravings and once I get it in my head that I want something to eat, it does NOT leave my mind until I eat it! Ahh, it's so frustrating. I feel like I have no one to talk to. My DF loves me and tells me I am beautiful all the time, but it's hard to talk to him. He's 6 foot tall, and weighs 140lbs.

What was the final straw for you to make you want to lose weight? How many calories do you consume on a daily basis? How long do you exercise? How much have you lose and how long has it taken you to lose it? Any advice you have for me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Lilypie Kids A Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BaileynMe
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:44 PM

I joined a group on here called The Fit Mama Club, and starting January 9th they are doing a "biggest loser" competition. Here is the group link

http://www.cafemom.com/group/96540

and the "biggest loser" competition is the first link on the page after you join. I'm hoping that the competition will give me the motivation I need to get going and keep going. :-) 

Join us onAdvice for Moms - - Group Mod

callalily417
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:47 PM

I started to exercise when I hit 150 pounds. I am 5 feet tall and never weighed that much before. I got a lot of crap from my mom and aunt. I am more like my dad's side and the women on his side are a little bigger. For an asian person, I was considered HUGE. I started going to the gym about five days a week for about an hour or two. I did mostly cardio but I also did a little weight training. That didn't help much until I started cutting things out of my diet. I cut out soda, coffee, sweets and other junk foods. I drank water whenever I felt hungry because sometimes you really aren't hungry but thirsty. That helped a lot because it cut my calorie intake a lot. I also was trying to lose weight for the wedding.

It's really hard to cut out so much of the terrible things you eat but you really have to want to do it. I also cooked more regularly and with more vegetables and leaner meats. I cut my intake of rice but 2/3. If you drink lots of water, it helps curb the hunger for a longer period of time.

Good luck!!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

babymamaof3
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Good luck mama! I'm going through the same exact thing ,my GYN prescribed me a diet pill called Adipex it really seems to be working ,I think I'm also going to find a pic of a really pretty fit woman and put it up on m,y fridge so every time I go in the kitchen I see it and hopefully make better choices .lol

2ndTymeMommy
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:28 PM

I have the same problem...i lack motivation.  When I exercise, I need to have a partner otherwise I lose the willpower.

I'm an emotional eater normally.  I can't help my weight right now cuz i'm pregnant, but as soon as he comes out, i'm gonna start watchin what I eat again.  I don't really pay attention to calories cuz i just don't have the time to do it.  And i have to wait for baby to be 6month old before I can join a gym that has a mini daycare.

So, I hope that by next year, i'll have lost at least half of the weight i wanna lose (40lbs in total--20lbs isn't too much to ask).  I'm 5'7 and weight 172lbs currently.  A healthy weight for my frame and height is 135...

Good luck!

toybar02
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:19 PM

I knew I had to lose weight when I couldn't fit my maternity clothes after having the baby, and it was loose when I was pregnant lol, I definitely know I'm not healthy and the best thing to do is to eat a lot of fruits and veggies and try to get in at least 30 mins of exercise in a day, I know its hard to do if you haven't exercised in awhile like myself but I ordered these workout dvds for beginners so I can get back in the groove of things its Gilads body in motion and I got it on amazon they have it new and used and runs about $9.99 and if that doesn't work find someone who wants to lose weight and that helps also by the way I'm 260 lbs so I know exactly how you feel but I'm here if you need support cuz I definitely needed it and my hubby actually agreed to workout with me but I'd rather workout without him I don't want him to see me cursing at the dvd lol or frowning and sweating looking crazy lol but good luck and I'm here if you need me

lundaylove
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:23 PM

biggest loser competition sounds awfully familiar lol. Trashy Moms group is starting their 2nd biggest loser comp today, our first one ran for 10 weeks starting in like October. lol

But anyways, back in May i was 190lbs and im only 5'3" so i cut out ALL fast food,soda,dessert. No white breads,pastas,etc. Now i eat pasta but i limit it. I also drink ONLY water and dont eat red meat. I work out at the gym now every other day and try to walk at least 1 mile every day that i dont go to the gym. Right now im at 165. Over the holidays ive stalled in my weightloss but ive stayed them same and kept the weight from coming back. Now im back at the gym and working this weight off.

Cravings can derail you so you need to do something that will take ur mind off them. The first month was TERRIBLE for me, but after that fast food and junk food didnt even taste the same so i rarely have it now. Whenever i wanted junk before id do a workout video and drink 8oz of water instead. Sure it wasnt brownies but i just kept thinking i need to lose this weight.

Quoting BaileynMe:

I joined a group on here called The Fit Mama Club, and starting January 9th they are doing a "biggest loser" competition. Here is the group link

http://www.cafemom.com/group/96540

and the "biggest loser" competition is the first link on the page after you join. I'm hoping that the competition will give me the motivation I need to get going and keep going. :-) 

proudwifenmom04
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:32 PM

i get the same way too at times, i will go good for weeks and then hit a bump and crashing down i go.. i try to do cardio 3 times a week and walk or jog 3 to 5 times a week. and i try to drink at least 4 to 6 oz of water about 30 minuts before I eat.. then I dont over eat. I usually drink lots of water while I eat too. I love water though. I would try that.. i also cut favorite things out slowly.. dont take everything out at once or it wont work. start with the biggest thing and go down the list!

if you would like a friend to talk to and check in with you daily and help keep you on track let me know I can do that! its always helpful for me when I have friends or people keeping me on track. :) 

good luck and try to stay positive!

Married my best friend- almost 5 years (12-21-04) Our Monster Carsyn- 3.5 yrs  (03-04-06) Our Opinionated Princess- 18 months (05-22-08) Trying for baby #3!!!

in lovetoddler boybaby girlttc

savedbygrace316
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:57 PM

I've never had much to lose so I'm not much help.  I don't by junk food. We don't have sweets, soda, chips, etc in the house.  I figure if I don't have it I can't eat it.  We eat more fruits and veggies than meat.  I exercise 20-30mins a day and also take a 45min walk on nice days.  I've never had a breaking point.  I've always wanted to maintain my body.  The most I have lost has been about 20lbs.  The first time was just by eating right (I had been living out of a bed room so being able to cook my own meals helped).  The second time was after my son was born and it came off pretty easy.

baby 1stholiday

ConnersMom03
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:28 PM

I have a hard time staying motivated, too.  I'm kinda starting out trying to lose weight again since my baby was born 2 mos ago.  Any way,  I got on the scale this morning and realized I had lost 3 lbs and I was worried I would have gained because, though I've been exercising, I haven't been eating as good as I should.   I have decided to be really strict for a couple of weeks and see what a difference that might make.  For me, when I see progress, that's what keeps me motivated.  So for the next 1-2 weeks I'm going to eat No sweets, No fast food, more fruits and veggies, meat and limit white pasta, rice, etc.  I'm going to exercise every day for at least 45 min.  I have to tell myself that if I do really good at eating and exercising, that the weight has to come off (because sometimes I sware it doesn't lol).  My goal is to get back down to 140 by our 5th anniversary in August, so that means losing 30 lb.   I haven't weighed that since we got married.  I want to lose 5-7 lb a month.  I like to run/ walk on the treadmill, do crunches, do the Wii Fit and Wii My Fitness Coach and when it gets warmer take the kids on walks in the stroller.

I would suggest making small goals and set dates for them.  Write them down and also think of reasons to want to lose weight.  Find some exercise you can stick with.  Maybe some things you can do at home.  And then know that with making changes, the weight WILL come off!

Oh, I just wanted to add that I was having fertility issues before my second baby and wanted to lose weight to see if it helped.  I lost 12 lb in 2 mos from exercising 30-45 min most days and eating a lot of fruits veggies, meat and wheat, and limiting sweets and fast food.  I have already lost the weight I gained from this pregnancy so I know I've been in better habits, I just need to do even better since I see it easier to maintain weight than to lose.  But I will lose it again!

Lilypie - (rCkY)Lilypie - (QfLJ)Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker
Looking for a Fun WAH company?  Love Candles?
Debi, Independent Consultant for DiamondCreek Candles
Make Every Room Smile, or Start Working at Home for FREE

rachom
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 7:42 AM

I know it's hard to get the motivation. After my 2nd child, I started doing SHRED-Jillian Michael's. It's only 30 min. and then, after a few months-I started Powersculpt (Jillian Michaels)-again a short DVD. I have a 3/5 year old and 7 month old, and today I'm starting P90x. It takes time,,,,but just start and you will find that you have more energy for you and your fam!

Good luck and Happy New year! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)